MUST SEE! Something I seen at work!

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I'm sure from time to time you guys have seen something like this! Well this would be my first see it. Not my car! Some of you know I work for a community college and the building I work in houses the Automotive Restoration Program. Car looks to be a 68-72ish Buick Skylark! WHO DOES THIS STUFF!

Attachments

• WORK.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 571
  • WORK2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 588
  • WORK3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 569
I have seen news paper in lower quarters :D That right there is a used car dealer's work from Arkansas :D

Thats how my 69 Barracuda was. 1/4 filled with foam and 1/4" of filler. Thats what you get when you go looking for cheap body work. Its the difference between $8000 to $10000 job and a $3000 job.

When i was younger back in Md. you could have no holes in the body to pass inspection. People did all kinds of crazy stuff to cheaply fill them just to get by.

I remember 15yrs ago filling the rockers on a Honda Prelude with spray foam.Waited for it to harden,then used a hacksaw blade to cut of the extra then sprayed with black undercoat.The car was my winter beater for 2yrs.LOL:happy1:

I remember 15yrs ago filling the rockers on a Honda Prelude with spray foam.Waited for it to harden,then used a hacksaw blade to cut of the extra then sprayed with black undercoat.The car was my winter beater for 2yrs.LOL:happy1:

Well I guess now we have figured out who does this type of stuff! Just bustin your chops Scott. I have to say though the kid restoring it has alot of balls.

I once tore apart a 69 Camaro that the customer had payed $30,000 for and was supposedly "restored." I wish I had pictures but in the end the only thing we saved was the roof. Old newspapers covered with filler, metal patches epoxied over rust holes. In the end we went with a total custom build. Air bags, 502, custom interior. $30,000 turned into over $100,000. Just goes to show don't buy anything without looking at it.

When i was younger back in Md. you could have no holes in the body to pass inspection. People did all kinds of crazy stuff to cheaply fill them just to get by.
That is how PA was when I lived in NJ. Think the rule was duct tape was allowed as long as it was sprayed the same color as the car.....

When I did this car I had to replace a frame rail. It was patched with comment and nails

Attachments

• 2359.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 431
Floor pan of our Fairlane was done with roofing felt & tar.....

Once had 69 Farlane, driver floor said stop, passenger RR X. And a 70 Elcamino with black duct tape sprayed over under coating patching rotted out frame.

Guilty. Cardboard and undercoating tar closed up the hole in the quarter panel in my 80 Aspen when I was 18. It passed inspection. I have no talent when it comes to body work.

was looking at a 69 Dart convertible that has spray foam in the 1/4's. said he did it because if the exhaust fumes, but at least he put the new 1/4's over the old for extra strength

I am guilty of this.... If you put a light skim of bodo over coke cans filled with with iron filings from a machine shop and then bashed flat, a magnet sticks to it when the buyer checks for filler... Or so i have heard

I am guilty of this.... ... Or so i have heard

busted.gif
LMAO

Used to know a guy that worked for Earl Scheib.
They would use what they called HOT PATCHES to fill holes.
They ground then beat the rust, dents or holes in, then put a quart of bondo
on a cardboard slab and pressed it into the dents or holes.
If would get hot as it cured, then they ground it down and finished.
Quick, cheap and fast and lasted awhile.

His ad:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkdtOOYdQOs"]1977-78 Earl Shieb Auto Painting Commercial - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back