MW Tunnel Ram question.

-

Carnut68

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's enough area around the port of the Weiand 1987 T-Ram to be opened to MW Indy -EZ heads?

So... by the lack of replies looks like Indy is the only option.

I don't know the answer. I've never seen that ram up close, off an engine.
I'll bet that width isn't the problem, but height. I have a TM7 that was modified for maxwedge ports,, that was welded at the top of the ports, and is very thin at the bottom. If you have the manifold (I'm guessing you dont) just put a maxwedge gasket up against it, answer will be evident at that point.
If you can get a good pic of the port opening, you might be able to tell. You would need around a half inch of solid metal at the port roof.
(If I were to make a guess, that much metal won't be there).

Last edited:
Yes, Max Wedge. I'm thinking Indy EZ is not true MW. I figured some welding would do it. The Indy T-ramm is $1400 compared to a new Weiand 1987 at $587 less 10% Summit code. I read the 5987 bottom has extra area around the ports????

I looked at the manifold on summits site. It MIGHT have enough meat at the top of the port.
For the difference in price, I think I'd buy the weiand, and some maxwedge gaskets. If it ends up looking NOT big enough, just turn the manifold to somebody else, or return it
I put some maxwedge gaskets up against the weiand team G 440 manifold I have...... and there was an 1/8 of open port above the top ofthe manifold.

I sold all my standard port intakes, so I have nothing to compare. But for the price difference you could pay some one to weld it.

For a MW motor you need the plenum volume of the indy. They come up used for $600-800 once in a while.
Hughes engines still had them listed at $855, so I ordered one a week ago, but it hasn't shipped. So I'm not sure they are going to honor that price. Just looking at a back up plan.

This was from a sale ad that claimed it was ported to MW ports.

IMG_5242.png

Does anyone know if there's enough area around the port of the Weiand 1987 T-Ram to be opened to MW Indy -EZ heads?

If you actually have MW sized ports you’ll need to weld the manifold. If you want to do it correctly. You may be able to squeeze the port window onto the manifold but the rest of the port will be too small. Then you get into reverse taper ports and that’s always bad.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to wait to see what Hughes does, as it stands it looks like they are going to honor their advertised price.

-
Back