My 1968 Valiant 100 Overhaul begins. :)

-

DragonMopar

Reaction score
So here we go. Already put the 4 speed in her but continued with the work this weekend. Now that Im in the restoration stage figured it was time to move the post here.

Started replacing the trunk floor.
Before:

DSC04564.jpg

Got a large part of the bad areas out. Need to do some final trimming.

DSC04565.jpg

DSC04566.jpg

Then separated donor trunk floor from its frame.

DSC04562.jpg

More to come this weekend.

Looks like you've got a good solid replacement floor. Be sure to get the rust out of those rails. More pics please!! How is the rest of it?

So got a good chunk done this weekend. While getting all the rusted sections out of the trunk I came across this section on the right where the bumper mounts that was rotted out.
DSC04593.jpg

DSC04593.jpg

So out with the bad,
DSC04597.jpg

Fabed up the replacement panel.
DSC04599.jpg

And in with the new.
DSC04600.jpg

DSC04603.jpg

Also did a test color for the intake. Everybody has the basic aluminum color so I thought I would switch it up. What do you think. I like the black. Dont worry about the carb I havnt cleaned it yet.
DSC04578.jpg

Looks like some good metal work. That black intake looks good. Have you thought about just painting it to match the rest of the engine? Some people wouldn't notice at a glance that it's not a factory manifold. Keep up the good work.

nice work...I think the engine definitely looks unique. I like it, that's for sure...

looks like a solid base to start with:cheers: and we already know you have metal working skills8)

Hello all. Time for another update. Cameras batt died while tring to take a pic. So I only got one. So the new trunk floor is fully in and welded. Just have a few small areas to fab patches. The section ahead of the spare tire mount at the shock mounts was totally rotted out. With out a full replacement panel to replace that area I have to fab up the fixers. Yay!!! metal fab time. :) So I got one pic before the batt died. Ill be finishing the trunk tomorrow and then moving on to the trunk gutter.
DSC04610.jpg

Finished up the trunk floor today. Just waiting for the seam sealer to dry and then I can put the undercoating on it.

Heres the finished up patches.
DSC04616.jpg

DSC04615.jpg

The new trunk floor didnt have the gas tank strap mounts on it so I made these. Thay came out pretty damn nice.

DSC04621.jpg

DSC04624.jpg

And here is it all sealed up.

DSC04635.jpg

Looks good! I am subscribing as I love following along. It looks like the rest of the car is pretty solid but as we saw with another members car,much can be hidden with fibreglass and bondo.

Have you looked at the floor pans and frame rails yet?

The trunk was probably the worst part. The floors were replaced before I bought it. And he had added the 4 speed trans hump. Heres some pics of the underside of the car.

DSC04449.jpg

DSC04448.jpg

DSC04447.jpg

DSC04451.jpg

DSC04450.jpg

Now the trunk floor is finished. And I finished painting the intake and top of the engine.

DSC04638.jpg

DSC04639.jpg

DSC04642.jpg

Looking good! Nice to see some reward for hard work huh?

Man I need to get going on my car again.But just too many house projects waiting right now...

-
Back