My 2nd sealing question, which water-pump bolts on a '69 340 need thread sealer

-

guido

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I know but I don't want to make a mistake. And which thread sealer should I use.
Thanks Guys.

I'm pretty sure if you look at the back of a timing cover you can figure it out. That said the 4 long bolts and any of the short bolts on the bottom of the w/p that go through the timing cover ,which I believe is none. I was wrong 2 bolts do go all the way through. RTV works or any Teflon thread sealant.

Last edited:
I usually don't even use sealer on the water pump bolts, but you can use the same teflon sealer as mentioned in your other thread. You can play it safe and use it on all the bolts for insurance, especially since there is oil present at some bolts and water at others

This may be helpful

IMG_4048.jpeg

The top goes into the lifter valley and is exposed to oil which could wick up the threads. The next 2 go into water jackets. The bottom 2 w/p bolts go through to the timing chain area and are exposed to oil also.

20230706_130825.jpg

The top goes into the lifter valley and is exposed to oil which could wick up the threads. The next 2 go into water jackets. The bottom 2 w/p bolts go through to the timing chain area and are exposed to oil also.

View attachment 1716111279
Nope, the upper bolt hole goes through into the air. The lower water pump bolt holes go into the timing chain cavity. Those need to be sealed. Just about any good quality sealer will work there. I personally like using CopperCoat sealer on all those bolts.

Nope, the upper bolt hole goes through into the air. The lower water pump bolt holes go into the timing chain cavity. Those need to be sealed. Just about any good quality sealer will work there. I personally like using CopperCoat sealer on all those bolts.
Goes into air above the lifter galley. Seal them all except the one at 12 oclock

Thanks Guys!!! For all the help.
Just to be safe... I'll seal All of them, it can't hurt
Angelo aka Guido

-
Back