My 318 Duster

-

7duster4

Reaction score
Hello - I am new here. My car (Which is my first one) is a 1974 Plymouth Duster with the original 318 and torque flight auto. It was pretty stock when I bought it back in May. But now for the winter the 318 will be re-built.

over the summer duel exhaust were added, and the replacement of the horrible headers to proper manifolds. The engine will come out in a couple weeks. So far I have purchased a 570cfm Holley street avenger 4-barrel. My question is how power do you think I would achive with the following.

-Already have Holley 4-barrel
Plan on purchasing Edlebrock performer intake, new camshaft, bigger valves, new distributor with an updated ignition, new vlave springs, pushrods, timing belt. Among other small things.

I am hoping to get 300hp out of all that. What do you guys think? Still undecided on the cam and vavles.

Thanks - later

if your going to purchase the bigger valves and have head work done, you might want to consider some port and polishing, then one you do that you should go ahead and put the horriblr headers back on. just my thoughts there are a lot of guys here that can help you more than me

New here too; what kind of manifolds are you running now? I'm asking because I think 300hp is going to be tough to achieve using stock 318 manifolds. Runnung a good set of headers is the only way you're going to see any real gains from running a better cam and heads. :thumbup:

I dont think 300hp is going to be that easy with the manifolding you now have. But, more importantly, you want as much torque as you can make. I'd run the 318-360 Performer, and add a cam like the XE262 Comp, a more budget choice would be the SUmmit Racing cams. In any case, change the timing CHAIN (new to old cars, eh? ;) ) the fule pump eccentric, the valve springs and seals, and tune it, and it will do just fine. I wouldnt get into it any m,ore than that with this setup.

What heads are you putting bigger valves in? Bigger valves aren't always better.....If you are staying with factory heads 1.88 intake valves are big enough for the combo you are talking about.....2.02's are gonna make it lllaaazzzzyyy out of the hole.....a small valve with help with veloicity and help make more low end torque with your gonna need. I'd also go with the RPM air gap for regular RPM intake if hood clearence will be an issue. For the cam....I am sold on Straighline Cams by Scott Brown......he ground me one for my motor and it's fantastic http://www.straightline-perf.com/ What are you looking to do with the car too.....just street? street/strip? 300hp is pretty easy with a 318 if you chose the right parts. Are you gonna rebuilt the bottom end? If so I'd suggest set set of the KB hyper flat top pistons KB167's...they will bump up your compression and give you zero deck and with a .039 head gasket the quench will be perect for pump gas.

Thanks for all the info.

The manifolds I am using are just basic 318 maifolds that I picked up at the Mopar Nats. Great shape. When we put them on it almost seemed like I gaind a few horses. Probably becasue the headers weren't in the best shape. I was highly recomended using 1.60" exhaust valves and 1.88" intake valves, which from what I was told, were the stock valves on a 360. The cam that was recommended to me was one with a .450"/455" lift and a 268/272 duration. I do have plans of a new fule pump along with timing chain and a much better ignition. Distributor, new coil and a new ECU box. I would like to get the heads worked on. Port/polish. Thats probably where most power where come from. Things planned for it not including performance include painting the block back to blue, oil pump, new battery, plugs/wires, air cleaner (preferably duel snorkel). For the outside I eventually plan on getting a nice paint job. Canopy vinyl top, hood scoop, go-wing, some body work, and some other little things.

I have been into old cars since I was 15, I bought this Duster in May. I was 18, it was my first car too. I have a huge interest in these cars but this will be the first time I have torn apart engine. But I won't be doing it alone. Me and a buddy are doing it. 300hp is my goal but all in all I just want it to be nice, and fast.

hey 7duster4 nice pics! hey the dusters and demon at the end of the page you took pictures of from the nats(green and orange) are both members here. by the way they are automatics with a pistol grip shifter handle. the whole car is set up too fool people. oh and the 426 hemi car, is also a 472 hemi if i remember correctly!

-
Back