My 340 Duster.....

-

SleeperScamp

Reaction score
Well time to start my story..... I bought this car in March of 07 and it looked pretty good from about 40 yards but once you got close to it you could see the problems.... it had gone through a " fix up " restoration about 10 - 12 years before I bought it ... Short time later the engine spun a bearing and the guy just left it parked under a bunch of pine trees.... Well it rusted all to crap..... Mainly the right side quarter and the roof under the vinyl top... Rest of the car is pretty solid.... I will start documenting my progress.... Let me warn you ... I am no body man and will be asking for lots of help....

101_1698-1.jpg

100_1781.jpg

100_1778.jpg

101_1803.jpg

101_1800.jpg

101_0064.jpg

101_0066.jpg

101_0067.jpg

The last pic is of the shop I had to build just for this project.... MAN CAVE !!!! :cheers:

Scamp,
my heart goes out to you for taking on such a massive task. Also congrats on the shop, still looking foward to building mine.
If you have not already bought your welder, I encourage you to get one that you can hook gas up to. wire welding with gas is so much cleaner than flux core and requires no more skill just alot less to clean up when you done.
keep us posted.
Andrew

Here to cheer you on Scamp :cheers:
You have got allot dun, so keep us updated 8)

Hey man, the roof goes on the other way! LOL
Good luck, just keep thinking of what it will look like when finished!

Lol" the roof goes on the other way!" Ha. I guess you do need help on the body.
What a shame you HAD to build a shop for your duster. I'm willing to bet...every FABO member wishes they had that problem. (Yeah I'm jealous)
Aloha! Good luck with the restore.

Making some progress... Got my roof skin and 1/4 panel " roughed " in ... This whole process is pretty scary for a rookie... But I figure if I screw it up to bad I can pay a pro to fix it...

115_1881.jpg

115_1880.jpg

115_1882.jpg

115_1884.jpg

115_1885.jpg

115_1883.jpg

P.S. If any of you pros see anything I am doing wrong or anything that will help PLEASE chime in .......

wher in east texas? i'm in livingston and would like to see the car as i have one that needs the same work.

Taking forever but its slowly getting done.

Attachments

• duster a.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 276
  • duster.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 241
:tongue9::tongue9::tongue9::tongue9: Damn !

Very nice work !! That FJ6 looks great !

I've always preferred the 1970 stripes to the '71 - '74 style ; the '70 just looks cleaner ( and would be the only year Duster where I wouldn't want it to be stripe-delete ! ) .

The white interior and top really makes that colour POP :happy10: ( you are going to put a new top on it , right ? Now that the roof's properly sealed... ) .

Keep up the beautiful work ! :icescrea:

Thanks... Everything is painted ,now its just trying to figure out how it all goes back together..

Again thanks and yes the white top is going back on. Agree with you on the stripes.. Gives it more of sleeper look to me... BTW its actually FJ5..

Nice work,
It is a shame that the car looked that nice before, and had some really hidden issues.
Good job.
Did you end up doing the paint and the metal work?
More details please.

I did the metal work but left the finish work and painting to someone else... I have some more pics of the progress I will try to post later...

Making some more progress...

Attachments

• IMG_0390.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0391.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0392.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0393.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0394.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0395.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 132
Lots of detailing left . Still want to re-chrome the bumpers , restore front grille, new rallye dash etc..... I have the vinyl roof ordered just waiting on it to arrive... Put the stripes on today ( Thanks Challengergary )...

-
Back