My 340 heads vs. Aeroheads

-

polarman

Reaction score
Ok, I'm just in the beginning research phase of my rebuild.Today I found an add for remanufactured heads for 340/360 with the big valves for $499 including springs for .509 lift assembled.
I have a pair of 340 heads on my 318, and they need hard valve seats, new valves & springs, etc.They have been shaved .010, but not on the intake side, so more machining is required for the intake to fit properly. I have no idea what it will cost for the machine work and parts that I will need to freshen them up.They will need valves and springs, as one is a mismatched replacement.I would rather use my heads as my goal is to refurbish my Dart to the way my buddy built it in the late 70's.
So, my question is, will I be money ahead just ordering some of the aeroheads, or should I go with fixing up my heads. I was hoping someone has some experience with the costs of freshening old heads vs. buying new.(refurb) I'm short on money, so I need to do this as economically as I can.
The car is a 68 Dart with a .030 over 318 (will have to be .040 over when rebuilt), 340 heads, Edy torker II intake, 750 cfm carb, and unknown brand old headers. The cam is stupid huge and will have to be replaced, probobly something a little over .5 lift.I wish I knew the specs on the old cam, but it's lost with time.

Aeroheads are not known for being a quality part. Personally I would avoid them. Have you looked into a set of RHS heads or Engine Quest heads?

It's all about budget...or lack thereof. Any guesses as to how much $ I'm looking at to redo my heads.Ballpark. I can assemble myself.
No, 340sfastback, I have not. I didn't think I would find anything affordable, so I never looked. I just happened to see this add in a magazine today.

You'll have to take them to a machine shop and see what they need. Might need new guides and just the valve job cleaned up or some valves might need replacing. Have them checked for cracks. You will be a lot better off having a good reputable local shop go over your existing heads instead of buying Aeroheads. Just make sure you ask around and find a good shop.

When you pick a cam make sure you take compression into account. A lot of times the 318s have low compression when running 340 heads so you'll want a cam that builds cylinder pressure for best performance.

My friend had a set of "j" heads shaved and rebuilt for his 318 last year cost $580.00 this was at one of the best machine shops around,could be a little less from another shop..

-
Back