My 340 in my 66 developed issues :-(

-
image.jpg
I used stock motor mounts. Although, the motor mount bracket on the right side I did modify to make it more durable. You can't really tell from the picture (unless you know what I did) but I welded on a piece to allow a bolt to make the motor mound bracket more secure..

I have manual steering and I'm not sure if the previous owner did anything to modify the steering shaft to accept the 60's HP manifold. But you can rest assured the manifold will fit. But you can't just try and put it on, or else it will not fit. You have to either have the head off, stuff the manifold down in position then put your head on and torque it (this way would be a *****) or, you can pull the motor and install the manifold on the engine then manipulate the engine into its sadle.

As far as the right side manifold; Gil did a bang up job!! He knows the areas to grind and you don't have to bang/dent your fender to make it fit. It slips right in like a glove!

I did have to clock my oil filter housing just right in order to clear the fender and leave some breathing room between the manifold and oil filter.

I'm not sure of my head casting number Gil. All I know is they are the ones that came on a 1971 340, "J" heads.

I have manual steering and I'm not sure if the previous owner did anything to modify the steering shaft to accept the 60's HP manifold. But you can rest assured the manifold will fit. But you can't just try and put it on, or else it will not fit. You have to either have the head off, stuff the manifold down in position then put your head on and torque it (this way would be a *****) or, you can pull the motor and install the manifold on the engine then manipulate the engine into its sadle.

As far as the right side manifold; Gil did a bang up job!! He knows the areas to grind and you don't have to bang/dent your fender to make it fit. It slips right in like a glove!

I did have to clock my oil filter housing just right in order to clear the fender and leave some breathing room between the manifold and oil filter.

GREAT INFO!! This is the kind of information I've been looking for. I have been getting messages and questions from early A owners for years asking if these manifolds will work on their cars without any major modifications. I've read about some members who have used them but never got good enough info to pass on to others. I can actually see that they fit in your pics!! I also know where "exactly" to grind on the 360 manifold before I sandblast and paint. The oil filter info is also valuable. Please post as many pics as possible as you go along to help other members with their cars/questions. Don't be surprised if you get messages from other early A owners asking for more info.
We're all learning here, even after 50 years (since the cars were made)!!

treblig

The only issue is, is if you want the down pipe on the left done right, you have to have a custom exhaust shop do it. They had to squeeze in a 2-1/4 pipe between the torsion bar and frame. They also had to weld the flange on once the pipe was in...meaning the pipe will not come back out that way. I went with all stainless too.

So both my down pipes are 2-1/4 stainless. I had them weld in a bung for O2 sensor tuning later on

image.jpg
The only issue is, is if you want the down pipe on the left done right, you have to have a custom exhaust shop do it. They had to squeeze in a 2-1/4 pipe between the torsion bar and frame. They also had to weld the flange on once the pipe was in...meaning the pipe will not come back out that way. I went with all stainless too.

So both my down pipes are 2-1/4 stainless. I had them weld in a bung for O2 sensor tuning later on

It's 12:00 midnight here in N.H., I'll throw the light on it tomorrow and get exact numbers.. But I think if I remember correctly it's at 15* and 32* total. I'll get back about this tomorrow.
Thanks

Ok, the way I just set it it is at 9* with the vacuum disconnected and at 17* with the vacuum connected. It pulls hard and I don't hear any pinging but I haven't had it on the highway yet..

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ok, so I took it to New England Dragway tonight... My best time was a 13.033 at 102.73
I think she did ok but I have a few bugs to work out yet!

-
Back