my 383 test drop-in 1967 barracuda

-

Gerry Holmes

Reaction score
well i've put the motor in temporarily to check clearances. i have a few questions. if the car is level front to back, should the motor be level front to back? i had the log style manifold suggested for the drivers side, any other ideas, other than headers? would love some castings numbers!
barracuda009.jpg
barracuda005.jpg
barracuda008.jpg

you need to bolt a trans and set it on the mounts to see if you are where you want to be...

I never figured "engine level" was all that important, and really can't get that far off in a situation like this. Maybe something like a Mopar swap into an old Ford pu, might be different.

But if you must, the carb mounting flange is what you go by

You want your front uni joint on the tailshaft less than 2 degrees but not zero.
So put in your trans cross member and lower the engine till you get the right angle on your driveshaft.

Dave

Sorry i should have made myself clearer, i just want to figure out if i can get clearance for the 3rd spark plug back that is almost touching the rear of the steering box. if the motor is lifted about an inch at the back the clearance will be fine, and right now the motor is leaning down at the back, and i would think that if the motor was lifted up the inch, that would make the motor level (front to back) with the car sitting level (front to back), so my question is: is the motor usually level, in a level car?, and being that i'm going to remove it to put on the exhaust manifold, i don't want to bolt on the trans now. Thanks Gerry

Carb flange is supposed to be level with the car at ride height. This would usually mean the engine would be a couple of degrees nose up. The carb flange will not be level if the engine is level.

-
Back