My /6 is running rich

-

T-Lezzz

Reaction score
My 225 /6 in my dart sport is running rich around town, when i get on the highway it either straightens out or i don't notice the smell anymore. it's got a holley one barrel on it. anyne know what may be causing it?

float set too high.

But you should also tell us the year the make and the model of the car. There is a world of difference between a 76 valiant with california emission and a 61 lancer with no emissions and they are both 1bbls.

For sure. I know of 3 different 1 bbl carbs used, and those varied considerably from 1962 to 1976. Post photos. If running rich, your mileage will be bad. Besides the carb, it could be a non-functioning cylinder (no spark or no compression) passing raw fuel. If so, the spark plug will look real clean. Could also be running lean at idle so it is mis-firing, which also passes raw gas.

The 75 should be running a Holley 1945. There are 7 variants that cover 49-state manual & automatics, CA manual & automatic, and CDN manual & automatics. Settings are different for each one.

To identify your carburetor clean off the sides and look for the data. IIRC the info should be on the side over the idle mixture adjustment screw. It should read something like 1945-R7018A . This example is for a 1975 225 w/automatic, 49-state emissions calibrations.

Some diagnostics in increasing cost:
a) check carb float level, clamp timing light pickup over each spark lead and insure each gives a spark
b) compression check all cylinders and note spark plug conditions
c) add O2 sensor to exhaust and lean/rich indicator.

a) is most likely problem (as others mentioned), without c) you will always be "flying blind".

-
Back