My 62 Valiant

-
Im no expert on V6 engines, but if you think about it, the engine/trans using the stock trans mount will locate the back of the block in the same position as a v8. I believe the main issue is the firewall clearance on these early A's. They were not built with the idea of a v8 being installed.

I would consider whether you could install a v8 and rig a heater box similar to the later 63-66 a bodies. I dont know whether this would work. If your heater box sticks out from the firewall, and the part that sticks out is fiberglass or something like that, then putting a flat sheet metal piece in its place could work. Again sorry if this is completely out of whack. I have not looked at one of these cars under hood in years. I think there is a clearance problem for the distributor as well when putting a v8 in one of these.

If none of this seems workable, maybe its time to retrench and build up the slant 6.

In any event I would concentrate your efforts on improving the brakes and suspension. Put disc brakes in it, and get a 8 3/4 axle, and rebuild the suspension. Safety is the basis for making a reliable car, get those covered then worry about more power.

Well i havnt been messing with the car much, putting a 304 in my Hornet, so im saving money up for that, but i did manage to get myself a complete super six setup with a two barrel for 80 bucks. Good deal?
Oh and how should the linkage be ran from the carb to the loud pedal?

Alright, car might be on the road very very soon. Need to do a little brake work and it should be a green light. But we found out their is rust in the rear sub-frame rails like all the way through. Is this little mopar worth fixing or should it be one that meats the mopar god?

IT LIVES!! IT LIVES!! IT LIVES!!!! I drove it for the first time today! never thougth i would have this feeling about driving a ancient mopar!!:toothy10: Stoped good rode decent, need to get leaf springs haha so excited to get it insured and start driving it!

Sorry for the multi posts recently!

I had a '62 Signet 200 in 1969. 2 dr hard top,white with red interior,225, 3sp.6 cyl Mustangs couldn't stay with it. Wish I could find another one. I think they were rare then. Didn't see many.

Well bringin it up again. The valiant will live to see the road. Instead of spendin the money on another car, just going to fix the floors somewhat and drive it. Buyin tires and seem sealer for the cracks in our "floor pans".

Now, the original tank is junk, not really even worth scrap it was so rusty. So going to put a fuel cell in it. How big of a fuel cell can i put in the spare tire spot? I want to be able to put at least a 12 gal in but if i can get a 16 that would be sweet. I know i could just buy the tank, but i dont want to waste the money on it.

If someone has any ideas that would be great.

I also need a leaf pack for the passenger side. If anyone has one that they will ship, please emial me and let me know.

Thanks

not sure about your questions, vague.
I would look into replacing your fuel tank-- modify a new 63-66 one vs a fuel cell. (still would have a trunk)
as for leaf springs-- espo-- is highly recommended-- or use jc whitney-- they usually run a free shipping sale around this time of year.

Have you mapped out a plan for the car?

do
you have any other pictures showing rust/areas of concern?
here was my 4 door & some of the work done--- http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11651&highlight=
Those cars can be very reliable(my 62 is still being driven today)
Lawrence

Glad to see you're not giving up, your car is too cool, I agree I bet you can get a gas tank, maybe Slantsixdan has some advice on that?

Very cool car, definatly do not see too many 2 doors, let alone 4 doors at that. If you are losing interest, sell it to somebody who has the time and effort to work on it. Please don't crush it.. they don't make these anymore.

The reason why i wanted to use a fuel cell is because the car isnt goin to be a resto anymore. Its just goin to be a driver and the way it looks is the way its goin to look, well except for when i re-do rockers after WyoTech.
I just want to be able to drive it here in town and try not to spend alot of money in gas for my Jeep. The only way it will get parked this winter if their is alot of snow.

I will go out and take pics of what we have done to the floors. And also take pics of what is bad on the rear floor boards.

And JC whitney doesnt have leafs for it. but i might not of looked hard enough yet. Also what is espo?

And VDART: your 62 4 door looks Sweet! I wasnt big on the 4 doors but somethin about yours, makes me like it! So good job with that one!

I thought i had the floor board pics already posted but guess not. Well heres what they used to look like. I think you can figure what side is what:-D

Attachments

• 0825091808[1].jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 0825091808a[1].jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 229
This is after the sheet metal we just put in to cover the holes. Plan and simple. Not the best, but thats what i am goin to school for in June!

Attachments

• 1127001148c[1].jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 195
  • Pass%20side%20front[1].jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 205
the springs on that 65 came from JC whitney-- at the time there was a big debate on quality of the jc-- parts-- they were cheap & free shipping -- the car still sits nice today--- I did have to midify the bracket--(bolt size) other than that simple swap.

(I see it driving around town), ESPO is a specialty dealer with a great rep -- for selling the correct spring rates & items for your old cars--
Wow your flintstone moblie needs some help!! I parted a 62 signet that had good floors--- but no one wanted them, Lawrence

JC Whitney didnt have the springs for my year Valiant, but would some from like the 65 work?

For ESPO what website is it? I found one that seems like its it but just want to make sure.

And ya it needs help but its got alot of life left. It sat for at least 7 years behind a garage, were it was very moist, and surprisingly thats most of the rust. The back floor boars are solid other then theirs 1 hole on each side. The trunks thin in some spots but no holes and in a few spots the frame rails are soft. Even the torsion bar mounts are solid? which is weird haha
I wish i would of been on here more so i could of gotten those floors!! I would rather have those then what we have done!!!

yes,order for a 65 valiant--- I think they they have different configurations 5 or 6 leaf,, look at the pictures of my 62 it raised the car quite a bit & those were 5 leafs.
ESPO is espo springs & things if memory serves.( http://www.springsnthings.com/),
make a list of parts needed -- they are out there but difficult to find when you need them. Lawrence

I can drive it the way it is but the passenger side leafs had pretty much fallen apart. The main leaf is good just the rest are bad.

The JC Whitney leafs are a 4 leaf, so that should work right?
Ill have to wait tell pay day before i can order them.

I pretty much have everything for the car. The guy i got it from says he has the bumpers just need to find them. Which i hope he does.

When i get back from school next year i plan on actually re-doing the floor boards and makin them look good. Body wise im not sure yet, im kinda likeing the way it looks, im weird that way haha:-D

Also i just bought these for the back. U.S. Indy mags 14x8. Just need tires.

Attachments

• US%20Indy%20Mag[1].jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 202
Well I ordered a fuel cell, from Summit, 16 gal and ups managed to mess it up and so it was supposed to be here last week, but sense its messed up they had to go to the actual manifactures of the tank so now its goin to be here Next week sometime. Really annoyed about it but oh well i guess. Should be able to drive it more, but still need to get the leafs.

Thinkin about swappin the front brakes over to big bolt pattern to run so old stlye gasser et wheels, with the slots in the back and some fat tires. Then swap rear end out with 8 3/4 but with the small bolt pattern so i can still run the slots. And then! puttin a cam, header and 4 barrel on the slant. and stayin a stick on the colum! haha

Love it. You're getting what needs to be done done. Once you have the foundation ready, everything else will follow. Keep living with it and you'll find what direction you want to go.
My 63 is a Signet with nothing on it as well : 3 speed on the column [love it], radio and heater [and possibly whitewalls] were all it came with. Someone added after market belts [2 different kinds in front] and a knee knocker AC unit at some point in time. Floors were solid but the trunk was rusty. An AZ. car first sold at Town & Country Chrysler Plymouth in Phoenix.
We used to live in Davenport IA when I was a kid: I am surprised the car isn't completely eaten up with rust. It's true it never sleeps.
Congratulations on your score.

Well got the fuel cell finally. Now we just got to move the truck out of the garage and get the car in. Wont be drivin it tell sometime next year. Decided that i dont want to drive it in the snow.
Sense im doin that it will give me more time to get the leafs and some tires for it. So progress is back to a very slow idel again.

Would anyone be interested in this? i might sell for the right price, its not a for sure thing so thats why im not postin in the for sale section, just seein if anyone is interested in it. Wont ship at all you gotta pick it up.
Jeff

-
Back