My 64 dart gt

-

weaverjsnw

Reaction score
I bought this last summer for $1,200. I used to own a 71 with a six and regret selling it. Decided I wanted a project and found this one. I love driving this car. I wondered why I couldn't find any 64's with the same hood trim. Found out the hood is from a 63 while looking for a replacement emblem. Anyone out there have one? I like it better than the 64. Unfortunately it does have some rust issues. I was told it sat under a tree for years. I took out the interior and discovered rust on most everything. I cleaned it up the best I could and painted over with rust converting paint for now. I need to repair the cowl, both front floor pans and lower rear quarter panels for sure. Mechanically is all original slant six, three speed push button automatic. Got it running pretty good after tune up, carb rebuild, new sending unit. I want to restore it. I have a lot to do. I figure about 5k and some hard work will get it in good shape. I just need the 5k now...View attachment 2013-03-24 my dart.jpg

View attachment my dart 3-24-13.jpg

Yes she is. I definitely got the fever. Will post more pics when I can. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks...

Yes she is. I definitely got the fever. Will post more pics when I can. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks...

Cowl rust is typical and not the easiest to repair.

The front floor pans, wheel well arches, and lower quarter panel patches are avaiable from autobody specialties and other suppliers

Yeah not exactly sure what to do about the cowl. Pretty much rusted through on passenger side above the heater box. I guess it'd be more accessible after pulling the windshield that needs replacing anyway. Don't have a space to tear into it now. Gotta get that taken care of before anything else. Till then I'll just keep her in one piece. I'll get some pics up. Maybe somebody knows an easy way to fix it?

Looks like a nice one and the price was right. I have a 66 GT but would love to stumble across a 64 sedan to hot rod. Have fun and keep us informed on your progress. tmm

I just scored a pair of headlight bezels on ebay for $123.00!!!! Wow!! I only needed one but couldn't pass them up at that price!!

Recently was feeling good about how well it was running. Had been driving it to work almost daily. Had some minor issues with a brake line and the voltage regulator but otherwise awesome. Started noticing a knock in the engine. So I went through everything I knew how and even checked my flex plate bolts as suggested. Didn't find anything so decided to pull the engine and tranny. I planned on it eventually anyway but decided I really enjoy driving my dart and want to get back on the road. After pulling them out and apart I discovered the cause. The shaft on the torque converter is cracked. I'll get pics up when I figure out how. Tore the engine apart and didn't find anything there. Decided to replace everything I could while I'm at it. Got parts on the way from Northern Auto. Replacing main and rod bearings, piston rings, timing set, camshaft, lifters and all new gaskets. I figure not bad for $300. So while I wait for parts I've been doing some rust control in the engine bay and matching paint with the original. I think I found the one. Sorry no pics yet. I will work on that....

Ok think I got it......

Attachments

• 2014-08-10_09-31-11_845.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 2014-07-30_18-53-28_68.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 2014-07-29_20-52-45_978 (640x480).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 2014-07-29_19-49-46_180 (640x482).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 2014-07-26_14-56-05_368 (640x480) (2).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 118
Surprisingly I was able to use standard bearing sizes. Unfortunately can't afford to have any machine shop work done. Doing the best I can on a very tight budget.

Anyone know if the torque converter is repairable at a reasonable price? Or where to find a replacement?

Update.....well there have been some changes....recently was having issues with the engine. A compression check showed number 4 at zero compression. Also had considerable blow by. Was hoping for a bad valve what I found was interesting... Apparently the rings I installed a few years ago had failed prematurely. They were very thin. I guess I should have gone to the machine shop back then. So I did this time around. Took the block and head to Sauer's Machine and Racing here in southern Oregon. They did an outstanding job on it. I highly recommend this shop. He said my cylinders were tapered severely. That caused the ring failure. I was lucky to catch it when I did. So the cylinders were bored .040 over, new cam bearings, new main and rod bearings, new pistons and rings to match cylinders. Also had him go through the head. Replaced the valves, springs, seals. New guides, hardened exhaust seats. I did the reassembly my self. After all was said and done getting it back in the car I spent less than 1k. The results are amazing. I've never heard a slant six purr like a kitten like that. It is like a brand new engine. I couldn't be happier. It's money well spent. While waiting on the machine work I decided to ditch the original 13" wheels and tires. Well just look at the photo for the result. Lets say I AM VERY HAPPY!!! Wow what a difference! Now that's what I'm talkin about. Still have lots to do but definitely a major step up. Finally coming together....My advice if you have the opportunity DO IT

20200514_172135.jpg

20200503_152624.jpg

20200519_183043.jpg

-
Back