My 65 Dart GT

-

crashcaptn

1965 Dodge Dart GT
Reaction score
I must say, I’m quite excited to start my own thread in this part of the forum! I have sent my 65 GT to a few talented hands and we will see what comes of it. They will be doing the body work and paint. The paint you see is original; no resprays have ever been done.. so it’s a good canvas to start on. I’m having them match the original red paint code exactly. For now I will be taking the top off and painting it to cut down on costs. Then later on I’ll have the vinyl roof redone. Only one of the quarters needs to be replaced. The other is solid except for some spot rust around the gas cap area. I’m having them shave the antenna and replace the mirror that isn’t stock with the correct remote one. Other than that it’s pretty basic; rust repair and paint. Here are some starter pictures and I will post more as I go back and check on them.

These are from when I drove the car in. Then we started taking off the trim and chrome.
9day1.jpg
8day1.jpg
7day1.jpg
6day1.jpg
5day1.jpg
4day1.jpg
3day1.jpg
2day1.jpg
1day1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice project, have you found a quarter panel? I would think that may be hard to find. I like the body painted wheels and hub caps are those staying. Also looks like a V8 car based on the dual exhaust.

Keep us updated with pictures

Looks like a nice 65. I had a 65 back in the early 70's and my back-up lenses
were missing too. Keep us posted on your progress. Toolmanmike

Yah, it's the commando v8, so its well appointed. I didn't find a quarter panel, so they're going to just make one. They said it shouldn't be an issue. We'll see! The painted rims and caps are staying. As you can see, i did the paint on the rims myself (rattle can red) so they're going to paint them correctly as well. I need the correct dog dishes however. Those are the Plymouth ones!

Ive been doing ebay searches for the tail lamp lenses, but they're pretty pricey. I have no choice now after i have nice paint to shell out a few bucks and make the rear look as good as the rest of the car!

They start today on cutting out the bad metal and taking out the windshields. I'm nervous and excited at the same time!

i just talked w/ the people at Auto bodie speacialties they have rear qrtrs anfd front floor pans prices are real fair sure beats makin em

thanks 65! theyre closed, so i'll call tomorrow morning and see if i can get one sent over. as you can see, that one needs a total replacement.

I've been a bit disappointed lately with the progress on my car. I've seen other cars come and go, which didn't bother me all that much (quick bumper fix here, fast down-and-dirty paint job there..) but it's starting to get old. Last night I took some pictures as they finally started a bit more work. They were there late (these were taken at about 11:00 at night) trying to finish other cars. Most of the trim is removed, and the back and front windshields are as well. There wasn't much rust in the window corners as I thought there might be, which is great. Here are some pictures of the rear window's corners:

SP_A0597.jpg
SP_A0599.jpg
SP_A0598.jpg

Everything else is coming off and looking great. My problem is the organization that they're putting into my parts. I'm afraid of scratches on the trim as they pile everything on THE ROOF! This obviously isn't acceptable, and the owner guy (Alex) wasnt there last night, so he will be hearing from me on Monday. Ive seen their work, and it looks great, but you would think that considering they only have three garage stalls, theyd want to move on with my project a bit quicker.

Anyway an update for you guys. Here are some shots of the full body.

SP_A0601.jpg

SP_A0602.jpg

They tell me the body guy is due this week. So hopefully youll see a more active page.

Last edited:
well, getting them on track wasn't so hard. Monday the body guy will be working from open to close on just my car. Hopefully you'll see some actual progress pictures tomorrow.

The main guy who was managing the shop got canned this weekend and a new guy who is determined to make my car his number one priority stepped in.

I also discovered that to get the trim off of the roof, you need to go under the headliner.. SO looks like that'll be on the ticket as well. Got a good deal through Dante's Parts for the material and a local upholstery shop will do the install of the headliner AND visors for $125.

progress soon.

Painters for some reason are a trippy bunch. Finding a good,responsible one seems to be tough. Not saying you are, but rushing them doesnt help either. You want them to take there time and do a nice job, but you would like to get the car back sometime this century. Lol.

Like your Dart alot,good luck with it.

PS: After painting your rims,think about the chrome lug nut,no hub cap look. Looks very cool,and clean!!! Just make sure you have new lug nuts and grease caps.

Take care.

Picture 695.jpg

I agree - I don't like rushing them, but when i said "take your time" they took that as "put it to the side and take on new cars and finish those first" which wasnt too cool for me.

I saw your 65 in Mopar Muscle! Congrats on that!

I agree - I don't like rushing them, but when i said "take your time" they took that as "put it to the side and take on new cars and finish those first" which wasnt too cool for me.

I saw your 65 in Mopar Muscle! Congrats on that!

Ya,that is not cool. Totally understand.

The orange car made the mag !
Saw that,pretty cool.
Thanks !

So heres how she sits today.

IMG_0733.jpg

They started on the trunk rust today and will finish tomorrow. This and the passenger side quarter is by far the worst part of the car. Nothing else even comes close to matching, so he is taking care of it first.

You can see the old metal still in the trunk that they took out. All new metal is stainless, so it should survive its second life. The painter will do a quick shoot of the trunk just to match up the paint. Today they told me that the original quote they gave me didn’t cover any of the trunk rust! When I brought the car in the first time, he opened the trunk and saw this. I then made an appointment to drop it off a few days later, and then they gave me my final quote. I told them that they knew originally about it, and that the invoice literally states “Fix all rust”. They’re going to include it without charging me any more. He will smooth over the trunk and my painter will be shooting it pp1 as well. I will have my trunk mat in there anyway – I just want the car rust free.

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

Here is how the new quarter is shaping up. Again, stainless.

IMG_0736.jpg

And you can see the trunk patch panel here too. I will have him notch the original valance so it matches the other side for the exhaust, so it looks stock.

IMG_0737.jpg

I apologize if I’m not making the most interesting page – I’m just very excited to be able to be putting her in good shape like she deserves. =)

Last edited:
Quarters are on. They’re in primer and need sanding and some tweeking to make perfect. Notice how they don’t curve inward as much.. they’re gonna hate me by the time this is done – everything HAS to be perfect. Trunk is now rust free too (note in the first picture you can see a chunk of the old trunk sitting on the ground). Pretty exciting stuff =)

Driver side:

SP_A0648.jpg

SP_A0677.jpg

Passenger side:

IMG_0747.jpg

SP_A0670.jpg

Last edited:
Almost looks like i was looking at my 66 Dart with all you have done on yours. I just did about the same on mine. Still have the d/s to do yet. Keep up the good work and am looking forward to seeing it finished.

Update on the dart:
All the trim is removed and rust repaired as well as dents and dings! Its amazing to have my car completely rust free. Here’s some pictures:

SP_A0728.jpg
SP_A0732.jpg
SP_A0729.jpg
SP_A0724.jpg
SP_A0720.jpg
SP_A0719.jpg

There are some things needed to be finished up, but we’re pretty much ready for paint. One of the details I want is to shave the antenna. I feel it will make for a cleaner look and be MUCH easier for my car cover. I never listen to the radio anyway. They didn’t remember that part, but that’s why I was there. They called me yesterday wanting to do paint but did not want to go any further until I saw the car and went over it myself so I could approve of the body work and point out any imperfections I might find. I’m glad they did, there were some things needed to be done. I had them notch the rear valance to make the dual exhaust look stock. They had to chop the tip off to do it. I hope it goes back on nicely! I’m already researching everything I need to do the engine/trans next… Only a few more weeks and I’ll be driving her! Cant wait.

Last edited:
Love your car, can't wait to see it done! What are you going to run for wheels?? Are you going to try steelies? I think they would look great, I want to get a set for my car one day. Looks good so far, congrats!

Nice job, soon I will start on my 66 dart. Looks like we all have the same rust issues....

Keeping with the steelies and dog dishes. Funny how they didn't do anything with the rims yet at all, but they're painting those as well! I will be in the market for a set of rallies to get a wider rim, but that'll come later. Thanks for the positive comments! I'm very excited with how it is turning out

Shes all blocked and goin for paint early this week! All the custom work is done, and everything looks amazing. So excited!

Paint! It has some orange peal and a bit of fish eye, BUT not a single run. I believe the next will be color sanding and then trim but I need to ask them and find out. The painter did the door jambs as well as under the hood and the inner fenders just because he wanted to make it look perfect! I didn’t ask him to, but he wanted to make sure I had a good looking car, which was really pretty cool of them. Tomorrow will be the rims and trunk paint. Here’s some pictures:

SP_A0752.jpg
SP_A0750.jpg
SP_A0748.jpg
SP_A0747.jpg
SP_A0744.jpg
SP_A0743.jpg
SP_A0742.jpg

Last edited:
Congat's crashcaptn!! Paint is on and thanks for a great thread.
Keep up the good work.:cheers:

Looks really good! I wish mine was there. What did a job like that cost you?
I need the same on my 66. Keep the photos coming. toolmanmike

Thanks memike! And congrats on your well deserved car! I hope your project goes great!

Toolman - this is costing me $2500. Can you believe it?? They didn't realize (nor did I) how much work it was going to be. A VW bug convertible came into the shop the other day with some rust but wanting the same quality job i am getting and they charged him $5000. But usually a job like mine would be about $5000 or more. They did a fantastic job (so far).

-
Back