My 65 Valiant Convertible Project

-

tntperk

Reaction score
Hi All, I want all of you to know that FABO is a great inspiration to me. The level and quality of the work and knowledge that you folks have is AWESOME ! From the Master Craftsman to the Weekend Worrier, your passion for your Cars has given me a renewed enthusiasm to work on my Car. So here we go .... This is my 65 Valiant Convertible. I bought it without its Slant 6 motor or it's automatic transmission. The floor pans and trunk pan looked like a "Lace Table Cloth" when I got it. I am by no means a sheet metal or body guy, but I do what I can. As you all know finding parts for the early A-Body's can be a little difficult. I have a 360 with a little head work and a set of custom "Tri-Y" headers all ready to go in along with a 4 speed with a 8-3/4 rear. It should be fun when it's finished. Again THANK YOU FABO for all of your help and inspiration.
\\:D/View attachment 65 Val Vert 1.jpg

View attachment 65 Val 2 s.jpg

View attachment 65 Val 3 s.jpg

View attachment 65 Val 4 s.jpg

View attachment 65 Val 5 s.jpg

View attachment 65 Val 6 s.jpg

View attachment 65 Val 7 s.jpg

View attachment 65 Val 8 s.jpg

View attachment 65 Val 9 s.jpg

View attachment 65 Val 10 s.jpg

Looks like a great project. Can't wait to see progress on your 4-speed install and the rest. In the pic of the fender it looks like a 1964. Maybe this was some kind of mid-year car that got 64 fenders?

Best of luck!

who would I have to hurt:rambo: to get a body as rust free as that one looks even with lace floorboards included.
Man that's a super nice car to start with. good luck with your restore

Your gonna have blast when that's done! Your making me kick myself in my azzz for the
'66 Valiant vert I found back in 2006 @ the Spring Carlisle swap meet for $2500.00 - burgundy with black top, rust free, /6, factory 4spd with K=member for V8 swap out...I waited a couple of hours to ponder if I had the time & funds for the restore and when I went back it was sold! AHHHH!!

That fender inthe first pic IS a 64 with the lower swoop line. Nice car, I too, am doing a 65 Valiant Convertible special project. Hope todebut it on here very soon.

Your gonna have blast when that's done! Your making me kick myself in my azzz for the
'66 Valiant vert I found back in 2006 @ the Spring Carlisle swap meet for $2500.00 - burgundy with black top, rust free, /6, factory 4spd with K=member for V8 swap out...I waited a couple of hours to ponder if I had the time & funds for the restore and when I went back it was sold! AHHHH!!

I bought the car for $ 600 ....

That fender inthe first pic IS a 64 with the lower swoop line. Nice car, I too, am doing a 65 Valiant Convertible special project. Hope todebut it on here very soon.

I have the Original bill of sale and the build sheet .... I'll have to check into it. Thanks

Nice project and welcome to FOBO from a neighbor in Rhode Island!

Make sure you check out Halls Junk Yard in Cranston RI if you haven't already if your looking for parts.

Interesting if it had the Rallye dash w/ tachometer with a slant six engine. I would have thought those more common w/ a 273, especially the HiPo Commando. For a V-8, your steering centerlink must drop ~1" more, so see if correct for a V-8 (hard to tell in photos). If not, start searching since a rare part.

It's a '65 for sure. Those '64 fenders are in great shape though. Keep them! To me the Aqua and blue interiors say 60s like nothing else, and go well with a white, cream, blue, or black exteriors. Have you decided on colors? Great buy for $600.... a fixed up convertible will actually be worth some money, not that we do this ever hoping to make a profit. That's going to be a great car.

Great build, I love the early a cars. Looks like you have a really nice start especially for 600.00.
Could be you car was an early 65 car that came with the 64 fenders. Are the fenders the same colour as the car on the inside? May replacements and they replaced both to match.

-
Back