My 68 Valiant

-
Steering column so far (thanks 72bluNblu)

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

72, You did do a story on the lower bearing on this site right ? Was it a sticky ?

3-17-17
Got the driver side header on, what a pain in the ***! Had to juggle the starter steering box and header at the same time. I also had to pull out a brace that went between the trans and the motor,that will need to be addressed at another time. And yes I did mess up one of my remflexes.(sometimes I hate myself.)
My motor mout pad was broken so those are on order from Rockauto. Ill keep you posted
:)
Happy Saint Patricks day Im headed for a Guiness

IMG_1432.jpg

3-18-17 Got the steering column back in with the new coupler. All seems to be fitting well. Ill pin them when I make sure all issues are taken care of.

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

3-19-17
Painted up LCAs with rustoleum red primer and gloss black.
Made a tool to press in Bushing and pivot into LCA The size pipe I used is 1-1/4 RIDGID CONDUIT(not emt) it fits the lip of the bushing perfectly. 1-1/4 galvanized plumbing pipe is the same size. I gotta begrudgingly give a thumbs up to the Harbor Freight press. HF is good about 20% of the time.
It has already paid for itself.

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

3-25 17
Installed Passenger side header. A bit easier than the driver side. Used Doug's gaskets.
Installed new motor mount pads on both sides.
Noticed that shifter cable was run incorrectly and will interfere with exhaust. I will have to reroute properly.
By the way, the info on this sight has been invaluable.

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

Last edited:
3-26-17
A little progress today Got the urethane boots on the torsion bars. Worked them on from the LCA side, boil then lube up with WD40
and push on.

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

10-8-17 Took most of the summer off helping a sick friend and squaring away some family stuff
Front brakes and rear brakes are done. I need wheels and tires.
Going to Pomona swap next weekend to see what I can find

11-5-2012
Brakes are properly bled. Wheels and tires are on. alignment is in the ballpark enough to get it to the shop.
I need to get an exhaust system(Summit) and heatproof some lines and cables. Need to install the hood and then go through a front to back nut and bolt.

View attachment 1715107981

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

Got the summit dual exhaust hooked up to my Dougs over the weekend. A few adjustments were necessary, but overall not a bad install.
Fired it up to move it around. TQ had fuel pouring out between the air horn and main body. I yanked that off and put o n an Edelbrock 600 performer that I rebuilt last year. Right now sitting on a spread to square adapter. Runs really well after it warms up. Next I have to adapt the cables to the Edelbrock Then dial in the idle etc etc.

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

I wouldn't cut up a nice hood. I bought a VFN fiberglass hood for mine and put a 6 pak scoup in it.

Picture 4642.jpg

Alright Since I cant seem to keep an actual log, Im going to list my improvements, not necessarily in order, but definitely with the help of FABO Members.
Front suspension and brakes(Right Stuff Detailing Kit)
New Lower ball joints ,tie rods and rod ends, LCA bushings,strut rod bushings, barracuda torsion bars.(892,893)
new front wheels and tires 15X6 P205/60/15 LBP. new front shocks, new front brake lines MC and prop valve
new brake lines front to rear, rebuilt 9" rear drum brakes on my 7-1/4(new diff gasket)
New rear tires 225/70/15 on 15X6 Wheels SBP
Some wiring repair (not finished) new starter relay, Ammeter is bypassed. New mini starter, new battery
New AVS2 650 Carb and adapter, Air cleaner fuel pressure regulator and gauge, new fuel filters and repair to fuel lines from tank.
New Dougs Headers and header back exhaust(summit)
New Z gate shifter, new trans cool lines with AN fittings
Gas struts to raise deck lid
Stock hood reinstalled.
Got my front end aligned today so I am ON THE ROAD!!
To Be done soon:
New Radiator on the way.
Rear Shocks
Points Distributor with Pertronix Module and Flamethrower coil
Rear spring bushings(or new springs)
IMG_0190.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back