My '68 went into the shop for a major tuneup...

-

gossame1

Reaction score
Hello Gang,

Just a quick note to keep everyone updated on the progress of my '68 Valiant. Today I had to take the car into the shop to have a major tuneup performed. This is the first major tuneup done to the car since I purchased the car about a year and a half ago. My brother, who was driving the car recently noticed that the car was starting to backfire when the car was cranked. I called the shop, and he said to bring it in. I didn't want to have any damage to the engine, due to the backfiring, so I made arrangements through AAA to have the car towed in. I'm going to have him look over the car extensively and let me know what the car needs. The car just turned 70K on the clock. (The 70,000 is not a typo, when I purchased the car, the car only had 63,000 original miles. A friend of mine and I looked over the car before the flatbed arrived and we noticed that a few of the spark plug wires were not working properly, so I think that it is time to have everything checked over. I still have a points based system in the car. How hard would it be to update to an electronic ignition system for the car? Is it even possible to set the car up for electronic ignition for the '68? Would the problems that plagued the older Chryslers like the Valiant be resolved (poor performance in bad weather, stalling etc.) Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions, I look foreward to be hearing from the group soon.

Sincerely yours,

Brian T. Carotenuto

Pick up a Mopar Performance electronic ignition kit. easy to install and will make a huge change in performace with less maintenance

If this is a low milage original 340 car, you may way to have a Pertronix conversion to electronic ignition done. It looks stack, but is upgraded to modern controls. Another thought is to hide MSD in it, and use the points to trigger it..That's a little more hiding, but a better product IMO.

i have the MP electronics kit on my 71 dart and i love it... but the advance is a little to much for an unmodified motor. at least in my case... but i have 171000 miles on mine. but yes it is possible and if its backfiring on startup i would check the timing cahian as well....

-
Back