My 69 Dart "AKA" The Blue Mutt

-
You originally had a 292 cam, did you put that one back in it? What are you plans for a TC and stall? I mean I cant be the slowest 69 dart around here :poke:

I pulled out a cam that had 292 on it, and it was set up with solid lifters, did not know any other specs or what to try and match it up with and also really did want the solid lifter cam if in fact it was a true solid cam, I tried to confirm but couldn't find anything at all. Due to the type pistons I discovered I had after pulling the heads (due to a suspected gasket leak) I did chose another cam that happened to be a 292 comp cam, this one is hydraulic and I have bought all the parts to match it. After some additional education I found out my new cam matches up pretty close to an old purple cam you can still buy as a solid one (which I may have been told that but didn't know it at the time). The reality is Im still in a hope mode with my engine. not knowing the particulars of what I had wasn't something I wanted to try and live with in the overall long term - part of the rabbit hole, now when its all together I will at least know what everything is. I basically picked parts to go with my block and pistons I had, all the other things I am doing to the car are general maintenance items or minor upgrades except the rearend which will work with the engine I have now and whatever I might do with it if I go to another engine all together. I had to re-evaluate my thinking completely on the car. I already have a 727 but no idea what the TC is, I spoke to the shop who just did my rear end and have a quote to go through the transmission and then will also get a new TC, most likely it will be in the 2800-3000 range but that will be after the summer unless I have a total failure - and the rabbit hole gets deeper LOL - ignorance is bliss, I could have left some things as is but not knowing what I actually had wasn't something I wanted to live with, and it all seemed like it would be simple and easy when I started, and a lot cheaper - if it all turns out ok I will come in a little lower than the budget I had when I bought the car overall, if things don't go well with the engine that all changes since I will have wasted some time and money on a big old paperweight - the motor should get final assembly this weekend and I am hopeful to get the headers installed as well as the entire front end so I can set the front down on the ground - will see how it goes, stay tuned. The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend and I have been procrastinating on some yard work for months - may have to face that demon so car work may not get as much progress as I hope

I pulled out a cam that had 292 on it, and it was set up with solid lifters, did not know any other specs or what to try and match it up with and also really did want the solid lifter cam if in fact it was a true solid cam, I tried to confirm but couldn't find anything at all. Due to the type pistons I discovered I had after pulling the heads (due to a suspected gasket leak) I did chose another cam that happened to be a 292 comp cam, this one is hydraulic and I have bought all the parts to match it. After some additional education I found out my new cam matches up pretty close to an old purple cam you can still buy as a solid one (which I may have been told that but didn't know it at the time). The reality is Im still in a hope mode with my engine. not knowing the particulars of what I had wasn't something I wanted to try and live with in the overall long term - part of the rabbit hole, now when its all together I will at least know what everything is. I basically picked parts to go with my block and pistons I had, all the other things I am doing to the car are general maintenance items or minor upgrades except the rearend which will work with the engine I have now and whatever I might do with it if I go to another engine all together. I had to re-evaluate my thinking completely on the car. I already have a 727 but no idea what the TC is, I spoke to the shop who just did my rear end and have a quote to go through the transmission and then will also get a new TC, most likely it will be in the 2800-3000 range but that will be after the summer unless I have a total failure - and the rabbit hole gets deeper LOL - ignorance is bliss, I could have left some things as is but not knowing what I actually had wasn't something I wanted to live with, and it all seemed like it would be simple and easy when I started, and a lot cheaper - if it all turns out ok I will come in a little lower than the budget I had when I bought the car overall, if things don't go well with the engine that all changes since I will have wasted some time and money on a big old paperweight - the motor should get final assembly this weekend and I am hopeful to get the headers installed as well as the entire front end so I can set the front down on the ground - will see how it goes, stay tuned. The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend and I have been procrastinating on some yard work for months - may have to face that demon so car work may not get as much progress as I hope

So 30 over, with 292 cam, J heads, headers, etc... I expect 430hp from you minimum... :poke:did you do some home porting on those heads at all?

(Checks bank account due to jealousy) I'll come mow your lawn for some dart part funds! I'll then order from summit and get the Bill's discount.

only thing I did to the heads was cut the seats down to work properly with the new valve springs, wasn't something I wanted to do but once your in the rabbit hole you either go all the way through or get out best you can - part of my effort has also been to challenge myself as well as adding to the list of things I actually did to MY car vs. having to pay someone else, each car I have had I add something new to my list, gaining more knowledge always a good thing, sometimes painful and costly though. I have run my theoretical numbers on a few internet websites, horsepower should be at least in the 400 range, maybe, heads are the biggest downfall for numbers overall, I didn't check their flow or combustion volume or have it checked, if all goes well I will either get some aluminums later on or have a set of X or J heads modified, with the domed pistons I have Im not sure if I can go aluminum without work because most have small combustion chambers that don't seem suitable for the high compression pistons I have - more rabbit hole - I originally wanted to be back running by March this year at the latest, my new goal is now May - starting to feel a little pressure in getting ready for Hot August Nights again, if things don't pick up Im gonna get back to my Mustang so I can at least take a car this year, only need to change the manifold on it, no rabbit hole either - watch your bank account closely, it is a major killer of projects everywhere and can cause a lot of other problems when you and the family look at a 3000 pound dead object sitting in the garage that you walk by everyday, luckily my garage is detached LOL - if I were you I would let things go for a while except for the A/C, Vegas will be hot soon, with or without the corona virus and it will be nicer going to get them slurpees with the kiddos

I mean I cant be the slowest 69 dart around here.

Excuse me, sir, but you don't have the slowest 69 Dart. That honor belongs to me. It goes nowhere because it pretty much will not stop. Brakes are a highly recommended component in my experience...

Nice work Bill, you are making great progress!

only thing I did to the heads was cut the seats down to work properly with the new valve springs, wasn't something I wanted to do but once your in the rabbit hole you either go all the way through or get out best you can - part of my effort has also been to challenge myself as well as adding to the list of things I actually did to MY car vs. having to pay someone else, each car I have had I add something new to my list, gaining more knowledge always a good thing, sometimes painful and costly though. I have run my theoretical numbers on a few internet websites, horsepower should be at least in the 400 range, maybe, heads are the biggest downfall for numbers overall, I didn't check their flow or combustion volume or have it checked, if all goes well I will either get some aluminums later on or have a set of X or J heads modified, with the domed pistons I have Im not sure if I can go aluminum without work because most have small combustion chambers that don't seem suitable for the high compression pistons I have - more rabbit hole - I originally wanted to be back running by March this year at the latest, my new goal is now May - starting to feel a little pressure in getting ready for Hot August Nights again, if things don't pick up Im gonna get back to my Mustang so I can at least take a car this year, only need to change the manifold on it, no rabbit hole either - watch your bank account closely, it is a major killer of projects everywhere and can cause a lot of other problems when you and the family look at a 3000 pound dead object sitting in the garage that you walk by everyday, luckily my garage is detached LOL - if I were you I would let things go for a while except for the A/C, Vegas will be hot soon, with or without the corona virus and it will be nicer going to get them slurpees with the kiddos

The ac is an expensive rabbit hole... but you're right it is something I should get done.

I love hot August nights i wish i could go .

Last edited:
first off, my car has no wheels, no suspension in the front or back and no rearend, it is a block of sheetmeatl sitting on 4 jackstands, so I win on the slowest car, both of yours actually roll LOL

Hot August Nights is a good time, have several friends that meet up every year and hang out, one of the cool things is to hang out at the Summit store in Sparks and go to the Big Boy Toy store when they set it up in Reno, and some gambling is fun too

first off, my car has no wheels, no suspension in the front or back and no rearend, it is a block of sheetmeatl sitting on 4 jackstands, so I win on the slowest car, both of yours actually roll LOL

Hot August Nights is a good time, have several friends that meet up every year and hang out, one of the cool things is to hang out at the Summit store in Sparks and go to the Big Boy Toy store when they set it up in Reno, and some gambling is fun too

Not the slowest for long :thumbsup:

got the cam degreed in, kicked my *** though and took way to long, the dial indicator that comes with the comp cams kit is pretty cheap and to sensitive, next cam I do I will have a setup to measure in the lifter bore, will get the front on the engine tomorrow and the oil pan, then measure for proper pushrod length and take out the checking springs on number one. I also was able to do a mock up again to make sure everything will fit under the hood, motor isn't quite where it will sit but no clearance issues.

IMG_0151.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0154.JPG

Thanks, I did start with a clean engine bay anyway, it was the stuff on the bottom that got me

Here is where I started with the engine bay, before I set it on fire and decided it needed stuff LOL

DSC07280.JPG

Jeez you two. Don't look the gift horse in the mouth. At least your PO didn't spray bomb EVERYTHING flat black. Black fenders, firewall, underhood, engine, block, heads, everything. I get to try to find the green wire, but oh wait, it's black. And so is the blue wire, the yellow wire, and all the other wires. :BangHead:

20200325_192359.jpg

Jeez you two. Don't look the gift horse in the mouth. At least your PO didn't spray bomb EVERYTHING flat black. Black fenders, firewall, underhood, engine, block, heads, everything. I get to try to find the green wire, but oh wait, it's black. And so is the blue wire, the yellow wire, and all the other wires. :BangHead:

View attachment 1715494224

I'm about to try that black spray paint everything trick today.

when I bought the Dart almost a year ago it came with a deep moroso oil pan, since I brought it home on the trailer I didn't realize just how low it was, I was really excited to go for a nice ride since it was actually my car instead of the test drive I did before I bought it, unfortunately due to my driveway/private road I live on I couldn't get the car out or risk tearing out he oil pan, anyway I bought a new oil pan (cheapo summit brand) and figured all was good, when I installed it I was working around headers and a kmember and didn't feel good about the install, sure enough it leaked. my next step in assembly is to install the oil pan and as I looked at the cheapo one I realized it was gonna be a challenge to install and not leak without a ton of RTV, maybe, so I ordered another pan, dumb mistake as not all pans are equal, 360 is different I learned after ordering. So ordered another pan, more expensive of course but I gotta say, it is a pretty nice pan, heavy duty and plenty of baffling - so with this I should be able to start making some more progress, also hopefully no rain and I can get the rearend cleaned up and hopefully painted.

IMG_0169.JPG

also got my new fan shroud built, this was another ordeal, I ordered the 67/69 repop shroud, it didn't work so it will be for sale soon, I also ordered a 70/72 shroud which I never got and after filing a claim on paypal at least got my money back I need to do a few things but this will look awesome, I am debating on leaving as is, painting the shroud and radiator black, or polishing, most likely it will stay as is with at least some wax, not ready to spend more time right now doing extra, Im ready to get the car back on the road.

IMG_0163.JPG

when I bought the Dart almost a year ago it came with a deep moroso oil pan, since I brought it home on the trailer I didn't realize just how low it was, I was really excited to go for a nice ride since it was actually my car instead of the test drive I did before I bought it, unfortunately due to my driveway/private road I live on I couldn't get the car out or risk tearing out he oil pan, anyway I bought a new oil pan (cheapo summit brand) and figured all was good, when I installed it I was working around headers and a kmember and didn't feel good about the install, sure enough it leaked. my next step in assembly is to install the oil pan and as I looked at the cheapo one I realized it was gonna be a challenge to install and not leak without a ton of RTV, maybe, so I ordered another pan, dumb mistake as not all pans are equal, 360 is different I learned after ordering. So ordered another pan, more expensive of course but I gotta say, it is a pretty nice pan, heavy duty and plenty of baffling - so with this I should be able to start making some more progress, also hopefully no rain and I can get the rearend cleaned up and hopefully painted.

View attachment 1715500059

also got my new fan shroud built, this was another ordeal, I ordered the 67/69 repop shroud, it didn't work so it will be for sale soon, I also ordered a 70/72 shroud which I never got and after filing a claim on paypal at least got my money back I need to do a few things but this will look awesome, I am debating on leaving as is, painting the shroud and radiator black, or polishing, most likely it will stay as is with at least some wax, not ready to spend more time right now doing extra, Im ready to get the car back on the road.

View attachment 1715500063

I really like that shroud! I need to figure out how to make my shroud look better. Did you use a fan shroud kit?

I had it made by a guy that works for the mechanical contractor on my job, not cheap at all, but I said WTF since the blueprint engine pipe dream is dead

You're engine is going to be better than the BP engine!

not sure about that, I just hope it runs fairly decent, of course playing with some HP calculators online if I had some high flowing heads it might may horsepower similar to the blueprint

not sure about that, I just hope it runs fairly decent, of course playing with some HP calculators online if I had some high flowing heads it might may horsepower similar to the blueprint

Dont do it... I've been thinking of the speed master heads lol. Maybe on black friday! Close to 500hp... sounds like a blast!

with my domed pistons cheapest option is have some X or J heads done, would have to work on any aluminum ones and that would drive the cost p to much

with my domed pistons cheapest option is have some X or J heads done, would have to work on any aluminum ones and that would drive the cost p to much

I've been reading a lot on machining the x heads and most people are saying if you want "really good flow #'s it will cost as much as aluminum heads." I dont really know though, I'd love to get a drimmel and try to do some at home head porting.

-
Back