My '71 Dusta Build

-

JonsGottaDusta

Closet Ford Guy
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Well I have finally picked up my dream car and am starting work on it. I purchased it for $1,000 dollars and am trying to do a bunch of it on a budget. I scored a '64 Dart last year 360, 8-3/4 3.91sg that I will be the donor, along with a 4-spd. It will also be BBP since I have everything already rebuilt. Original /6 car so I have no rules, although it will look similar to a 340 "clone" style dusta. I will be doing many updates on here in the near future. I bought the car yesterday, and am hoping to have the car up and running within the next month. Anybody in So*Cal have a '71 bench seat for sale? Let me know what you think.

Also, I'm not a 4-speed guy. Do you guys know what size clutch this thing needs?

- Jon
Yesterday...
DSCN0799.jpg

DSCN0801.jpg

My new trucks first tow...
DSCN0803.jpg

Today...
IMG_2783.jpg

Looking like a mess...
IMG_2785.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

#1 suggestion, use photobucket's sizing tool to bring the photos down a bit, it makes them easier to enjoy.

#2. excellent start. Pressure wash until it's clean, and then go it again, and you will be thankful later.

What wheel and tire combo?

I scrapped the slanty for $18.50, sorry.

Well I redid all the rear suspension. I swapped in the 8-3/4 3.91sg rear end, KYB shocks, and some nice tall tires. I still need to finish up the rear brakes, and runs some new brake lines. We are getting closer though.

I also have most of the engine bay stripped, and close to needing its first coat of primer. I will be painting the engine bay gloss black. The current plan for the car, since its a hot rod is... black base, flat clear, with gloss black 340 stripes and a 340Wedge hood decal. I will be changing this car over to more of a road race theme, once i get it together and running.

I pulled the front suspension/K-frame tonight, and should be swapping in the V8 stuff sometime this weekend. Its moving slow because of going to school full time + work so I will do what I can.

Let me know what you think... I'll post pics later.

Btw, I will soon be installing all the Stewart Warner Gauges in a Redline Gauge Works gauge cluster + a WideBandO2 sensor.

- Jon

Hey Everyone,
You can see I have not updated this in a while. I somewhat forgot about it during midterms, and was mostly in the garage for spring break.

Let me know what you think about my progress...

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_3103.jpg

After some grinding, POR-15 and gravitex...

IMG_3112.jpg

Donor car...

IMG_3213.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3395.jpg

I will be painting the Engine Bay and Front Suspension tonight. I also boxed the K-frame and LCA's and sold the dart = getting all the parts I needed from Summit. There is a bunch of other stuff I did that I didn't post... also restored the grill and such.

- Jon

Well, i know its been a long time since I've been on here, but I wanted to revive this thread to post the newest things that have been going on with the car, especially since I don't have the work documented anywhere else. Expect a bunch of updates soon. I have been doing a bunch of new mods. :D

Happy Turkey Day, Everyone!

-
Back