My '71 Scamp 5.9 magnum swap.

-

dragbaron

Reaction score
Got my feet wet on this swap with a '74 Dart Sport last year. After I found out I could make a magnum run with fuel injection, I decided to take everything out of it and look for a better car and motor.
Had this Scamp once before a few years ago. The first time I had it I put big bolt disc brakes and an 8.75 rear with big bolt axles and a sure grip 2.94 gear set in it. Now I got it back so I could do a 5.9 magnum swap in it.
Scored a 35k mile 2000 model 5.9 from a wrecked Dakota R/T off a guy on the Dakota R/T forum. Using a '82 904 trans with the lockup converter, figured that's as close as I'm gonna get to an OD trans! It's running on a '94 Dakota harness and a '94 Ram 5.9/manual computer. Fuel is supplied by a Tanks inc tank, fuel pump and fuel gauge sending unit. Using the Corvette filter/regulator, but still came out a little high on my fuel pressure.

os5n3s.jpg

mw72wj.jpg

Not too fond of the black engine bay, but that was someone else's "bright idea", not mine. They did the door jams and inside the trunk black also. The car was originally red.

just curious but how is a lock up 904 like a overdrive auto 44RE ?

you will end up with about 58 # fuel press with GM vette filter/reg set up which is too high. What happened to your 94 Ram fuel rails? There is a regulator built right into the factory rails up until 96. That would work much better than the vette piece and 58# of pressure.

Getting rid of the convoluted tube on air intake for a smooth sided one and you will gain a few HP. Those rubber tubes create tons of turbulence in the air hat . We are working on a complete cold air system for the mag swap. we have aluminum air hats in single and dual intake tubes and should have the silicon couplers and steel tubes to make it all work.

I beileve he see's the LU up as close to effecicent as possible with the 2.94 gear set for the best mileage possible on the Hwy. While the OD tyrans and 3.55's deliver a 2.4495 ratrio.
This is .69 overdrive right?
4.30 X .69 = 2.967
4.10 X .69 = 2.829
3.73 X .69 = 2.57
3.55 X .69 = 2.44

With these know factors, one can choose the best ratio with an overdrive for there purposes. Considering he has a 3 speed with a 1-1 final drive ratio, cruiseing the Hwy. can just simply be what ever ratio is chosen and the RPM @ cruise will only be effected by tire diameter. The LU just helps a little bit here on cruise.

Cool to know the internal pressure regulator up to '96. What is the pressure regulated at?
3.23 X .69 = 2.2287

I have heard too many people referring to lock up as OD because it drops 200 rpm when it locks. Even heard a guy with a a500 saying it was a 5 speed auto....

Magnum MPI fuel pressure is supposed to be 44#. They do ok with 40-48# but thats about max. The regulator is not internal, its mounted on the side of the factory fuel rail and is controlled by vac signal from intake port. Super easy/cheap way to use the Tanks Inc pump on a Magnum. They used the reg up until they went to single fuel line system with reg mounted on top of pump which was in tank. All early Mags with duel line system have a reg on rail.

The magnum I just pulled from a 1994 van only has one line and no regulator on the fuel rail so they must have used the regulator in the tank on some of the early ones as well

Not sure about vans as we never use them due to harness being too short and the fact that vans are the worst for having a hammered engine...everybody drives PU around empty but most vans typically get driven fully loaded. Serious lack of engine bay cooling also beats the crap out of everything plastic in bay including wire harness and sensors. Also much tougher to work on/tune up so they are least likely to have been well maintained.

Grand Cherokees had reg to 95, Dakotas to mid 90's, I have seen a few Rams that were OBD I but 1 line system and I have seen them duel line...there are Ram trucks that same year has BOTH CCd and PCI Buss, 1500 is CCD and 2500 LD is PCI .if you figure out Chryslers logic behind building cars and trucks, please share :D

Dragbaron, very sweet ride. Love the hard tops. I just drug another one home to do a mag swap. Like the hub caps and steelies too

Attachments

• valiant hood.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 413
The magnum I just pulled from a 1994 van only has one line and no regulator on the fuel rail so they must have used the regulator in the tank on some of the early ones as well

The regulator is not in the tank, it sits on top of the fuel pump module on top of the tank. the fuel line is connected to it with a quick clip connector. Stainless piece about the size of a cat food can. It also serves as the fuel filter.

Not sure about vans as we never use them due to harness being too short and the fact that vans are the worst for having a hammered engine...everybody drives PU around empty but most vans typically get driven fully loaded. Serious lack of engine bay cooling also beats the crap out of everything plastic in bay including wire harness and sensors. Also much tougher to work on/tune up so they are least likely to have been well maintained.

Grand Cherokees had reg to 95, Dakotas to mid 90's, I have seen a few Rams that were OBD I but 1 line system and I have seen them duel line...there are Ram trucks that same year has BOTH CCd and PCI Buss, 1500 is CCD and 2500 LD is PCI .if you figure out Chryslers logic behind building cars and trucks, please share :D
360s had regulatorless rails and GCs and Daks didn't have 360s until '98.

Yeah, on the whole Lock up comment, I'm not doing the modifications required to install an OD trans, so I call the LU trans and 2.94s "as close as I'm gonna get". Haha

I'll check, but I believe all the rails I have are without a regulator.

I kinda have a thing for body color Cop wheels and the dog dish hubcaps!

Been spending some time trying to get this mediocre paint job to look half way decent again. I got rid of it the last time to a friend in Roswell, NM and it spent all that time baking in the New Mexico sun.

Attachments

• 20160123_225432.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 327
360s had regulatorless rails and GCs and Daks didn't have 360s until '98.

I have seen 5.9 with regulator rails in Ram, and lots of 5.2's had them in Ram and GC. I know the GC only had 5.9 in 98 limited. The point is that its easy to find a regulator rail and eliminate the need for aftermarket one.

-
Back