My '72 440 six pack duster build

-

Meangreen440

Reaction score
I have had a few other classics that I purchased in the past that were either completely restored or customized to the point that I was scared to touch it in fear of ruining it.

I have always loved Mopars and liked the A-bodies the best. I decided to sell my other cars and go with a classic that I could build with my own two hands and make it the way I wanted and learn as I go.

My Dad found this Duster in The Pacific Northwest for me and scooped it up for dirt cheap from a guy who started the project but gave up on it. It had what I wanted for the most part already, 440 engine, chassis built and re-enforced, the hood scoop and the go-wing. It was in pretty rough condition but I was excited to try my hand at rebuilding the engine and body work. Here are a few pics of the car when I first picked it up.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 888
  • 2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 746
  • 3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 570
Nice base to start with.Just don,t go overboard where you won,t be able to drive and enjoy it.This is why I,ve never been too big a fan of #,s matching cars,build the way so you can drive it without too much worry.Good luck.

The 440 had some power but it definitely needed some work, It was a '72 HP block. I originally was going to only replace the cam and run a Six-Pack setup. Once I pulled the block, I decided to go all out and rebuild the entire engine. Here are a few pics of the block when I pulled it.

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 519
  • engine2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 553
  • engine3.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 523
I pulled every bracket off, sandblasted and repainted and added some goodies to the block. It was an awesome experience building it, I have some pretty knowledgable friends who helped me along the way. I replaced and refurbed just about everything. I installed Stealth Heads, KB pistons, Eagle Rods, and a Comp Cam. Here are a few pics of the block:

Attachments

• engine4.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 525
  • engine.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 544
  • photo 11 copy.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 507
  • photo 5.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,129
I decided to go with the Classic Green, I always loved this color on Muscle cars. We later installed a fiberglass lift off hood a buddy hooked me up with because the other snorkel hood I had would not fit the 6 pack under it. I did all the body work, and my buddies helped me spray the final coat. We utilized the Military auto hobby shop which had a pretty awesome paint booth.

Attachments

• duster2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 505
  • dusta.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,324
  • photo 4.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 518
Car looks fantastic. I think we missed the in between some where. Very sharp.:coffee2:

Great looking car but you know Mopars are supposed to have the engine compartment painted body color. May be OK with the black top. Enjoy the hotrod - it looks like it is meant to be driven!

What radiator is it? Looks good. I may be buying a track Demon and it needs one.

Radiator was bought on ebay. Not sure what brand. It works great though.

I have a lot more Pics I'm going to add, just need to transfer them from my old computer. I did skip a few steps in between. I will update soon.

I understand about the color of the compartment, but the engine was pulled after the car was painted, Im not too concerned with going all original as mentioned before. I just want a nasty street rod that I can drive and have fun in. I appreciate all the comments, advice and help!

Awesome!!

Can you show some photo's on how the chassis is reinforced!?? Thx in advance.

No problem, I have to transfer pics from other computer. I will post them as soon as possible for you. I have a ton more pics, I plan to post to include: the Ez wiring harness install, custom dash fab, lift-off hood instal/ mods and my engine install very soon. I Hope it will help, made plenty of mistakes along the way but learned a lot and have had fun doing it so far.

No problem, I have to transfer pics from other computer. I will post them as soon as possible for you. I have a ton more pics, I plan to post to include: the Ez wiring harness install, custom dash fab, lift-off hood instal/ mods and my engine install very soon. I Hope it will help, made plenty of mistakes along the way but learned a lot and have had fun doing it so far.

Thx, because I'm restoring a 4d Valiant and it will have a lot of horsepower. I don't want a roll cage so I'm very curious how people reinforce there chassis.
For now I only planned to connect the front frame rial to the back.

-
Back