my 727 build thread

-
Could have swore I saw you on n 167 a few days back.. Sweet build!

No crap a lot of $...but going to be a bad a$$ transsphincter!

ok guy, I made a dumb rookie mistake. on the tail shaft extension housing there is a small tab cast in to the housing on the bottom of the gasket mating surface. this tab is meant to secure the reverse servo pivot pin in the main housing. well, I ground it off when i was prepping the housing for powder coat. I didn't know that the small tab had a purpose. with out the tab the reverse servo pin could walk out of its bore and drop the linkage. this is highly unlikely but id rather not risk it.

this however led me to a pretty cool discovery. the 727 has several tail shaft extension housing variations. One of which is a heavy duty housing used in stock performance vehicles, trucks and vans.

this is a light duty housing, the one i screwed up.

notice the indentations around the end of the housing? the housing is cast thinner.

this is a heavy duty tail housing

notice how the housing has much more material cast into it? no indentation at the end. this has a much thicker housing at the end where the drive shaft yoke enters the trans.

I have one of these on order from A&A transmission. This was an expensive time consuming mistake but in the end i did learn something. just thought i would pass this along.

Couldn't you just bend up a tab out of 1/8" steel or something and bolt it to the closest extension housing bolt with maybe a longer bolt?

Couldn't you just bend up a tab out of 1/8" steel or something and bolt it to the closest extension housing bolt with maybe a longer bolt?

yes i could. i just think that if i am going to do this i might as well do it right. i found a heavy duty tail shaft housing semi local to me. going to go pick it up tonight i hope.

I'd probably do the same thing. Good luck. I enjoy the hell out of your threads.

For the love of god... Don't encourage him!!!!

J/K nice work and it will be a good piece when you button it up.

I'd probably do the same thing. Good luck. I enjoy the hell out of your threads.

For the love of god... Don't encourage him!!!!

J/K nice work and it will be a good piece when you button it up.

Oh I got all kinda time now! I got a wheel and tire swap in the mix! Gonna have to narrow rear end! Wheels will be done mid April! Gonna be BADASS!!!!

Just a little teaser to wet your appetite!

Oh I got all kinda time now! I got a wheel and tire swap in the mix! Gonna have to narrow rear end! Wheels will be done mid April! Gonna be BADASS!!!!

Just a little teaser to wet your appetite!

Didn't you have a little early valiant you were building? Where'd that go?

ok guys, update time.

i got my billet park gear today

When it comes to the 727 torquflite, not all tail housings are created equal! there are several variations. the light duty housing seen in this picture:

this tail housing has very light webbing on the exterior. it also has very large indents at the rear of the housing. this housing is considered the light duty housing and is the most common.

then the heavy duty passenger vehicle housing that came in high performance cars. this housing has the thicker casting and does not have the indents at the tail end. this housing will still have the factory console shifter mounts.

then the strongest of all of them. this housing came in trucks, or vehicles with towing packages. this housing is easily identified by the snap ring access being located on the passenger side of the housing. this housing also has the thicker casting, no indents at the tail end and has heavier webbing all around. It also has the extra webbing around the passenger side of the snap ring access ports. it however will not have the console shifter mounts.

the heavy duty tail shaft housing is the same for small or big block 727. the truck housing is still pretty easy to locate and in my opinion worth the time and effort to swap for a high horse power setup.

Is the tail shaft housing a common weak point in these transmissions?

they can be in high horse power applications and when trans brakes are used. the tail shaft is what supports the front of the drive shaft. I am sure there are a ton of people that have run the light duty tail housings with zero issues but i also tend to think that the Chrysler engineers wouldn't go thru all the trouble and expense of designing a stronger unit if there was no benefit. I am just trying to build the strongest unit i can. the truck trans with the rear housing i have are very plentiful and cheap. so if a person were looking to build a core then why not start with a stronger unit to begin with.

I will also state that i am in no way an expert. I could very well be talking out of my *** here. lol.

The thought is pretty spot on. Engineer's designed it for a reason, and being a truck compared to a car, strength in the tailhousing is just one area. Same with the internals of the trans. Nothing wrong with making it stronger, once you exceed the engineer's design limits.

For the pieces you have here, I'd say you are in the 3k ballpark. And you are assembling it yourself.

-
Back