my 727 build thread

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
I am starting to prep my new 727 trans case for the next season of street/strip duty. I have some parts on the way but have only dis assembled the trans and started dressing the case inside and out.

here are the pics of disassmebly.

once i had the trans all apart i started the cleaning process. i also deburred all the casting marks on the inside of the case.

then i moved to the outside of the case. i will be running a full manual valve body with an aftermarket cable shifter so i got rid of all the un needed mounting points.

then i started to smooth, blend and clean up the outside of the case

here is the tail shaft done and ready for paint.

The driver side rear mounting ear is sometimes used to mount a cable shifter bracket, so hopefully the shifter you choose does not use that mounting point. The turbo action cheetah SCS shifter, P/N 70001B uses this mounting point as an example.

http://www.turboaction.com/frame.html, look under instructions

The driver side rear mounting ear is sometimes used to mount a cable shifter bracket, so hopefully the shifter you choose does not use that mounting point. The turbo action cheetah SCS shifter, P/N 70001B uses this mounting point as an example.

http://www.turboaction.com/frame.html, look under instructions

No I use a b&m shifter with a bracket that mounts to the oil pan rail.

i have started ordering parts. It is slow going because i have so many projects going on at once.

first after market part that i consider mandatory.

bolt in sprag. this one is from A&A transmission. it takes 6 bolts and also has 16 rollers vs the factory 12.

after countless hours hand sanding and basically polishing the trans housing i got to a point where i was content (sick of sanding) and sent it off to powder coat. I am pretty happy with the finished result!

IMG_3129_zps38gmghke.jpg

IMG_3130_zpseibbwj3g.jpg

Bad *** man...............I`m settin up my own 8 3/4 and my next goal is to build my own trans and you just motivated me even more. Will the powder coat keep in heat by chance?

If the metal is prepped and the job is done right, No.

P.S. I used to live in San Bernardino. :-D

Hey younggun, I've been meaning to ask you what you get with a 16 roller sprag over the 12 roller factory sprag? Wouldn't you get more friction and heat? Or are the 4 extra rollers not significant in the heat department. Basically, what are the plusses and the minuses? I don't know squat about transmissions. Thanks in advance.

I think more rollers help distribute the load over well...more rollers making it stronger.

If the metal is prepped and the job is done right, No.

P.S. I used to live in San Bernardino. :-D

They don't make women like her anymore! Spoke with her this weekend for some advise with my trans housing that was coated by a shop local to me. She took time to talk to me and provide some insight! Very talented person and always there to help! Thanks again!

They don't make women like her anymore! Spoke with her this weekend for some advise with my trans housing that was coated by a shop local to me. She took time to talk to me and provide some insight! Very talented person and always there to help! Thanks again!

Thanks for that John! I enjoyed finally talking with you too. I'm always here if you need help. :-D

got my rebuild parts in the mail today!

got my steel sleeved billet aluminum drum! super light weight and still streetable!

got my billet spring retainer and 15 springs

got a max lug pump gear set. has larger converter lugs machined in.

got my lightened park gear

light weight sun shell.

billet aluminum rear drum

4 gear steel splined front planet

rear roller support

4.2 lever, heavy duty strut and anchor

billet servos

fully rollerized rear planetary set up with governer delete

and rebuild kit with kolene steels and red clutches, kevlar band.

-
Back