My 73 scamp project

-

mellow_utah

Reaction score
Well I have been on here a while so I thought id post some pics of what I'm working on. It's a 73 scamp originally a /6 car that somehow my brother managed to ruin by persuading a rod through the side of the block while doing 70 down the freeway. The car sat around for a few years,changed hands for some body work and paint on another project, the work never got done so I repossessed it. Originally I was going to do a 440 swap (I might still later) but I just moved and had to get the car drivable ASAP. I located a dodge one ton van with a 360/727 with 60k on the odometer. I traded a savage 270 for it, yanked the motor and trans and gave the rest to my buddy for helping me with labor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 248
Here's the van....15 passenger belonged to a church, the interior was like a time capsule!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 260
Cleaned up the motor, swapped out the 2 barrel carb and intake, the oil pan, valve covers, and painted it. The inside was clean no sludge even in the pan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 228
Decided I needed to make the car one color so about $50 worth of rustoleum rattle can would do, again in a hurry:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 215
Sorry only letting me do one pic per post for some reason....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 240
Since I have moved and am no longer in a hurry, I'm starting into the suspension

Attachments

• image.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 224
I just installed mancini xhd leaf springs. Putting the front /6 k member back in with some Schumacher conversion mounts because the v8 one I bought turned out to be bent. Cleaned and painted it, picked up some PST quick ratio steering kit, sway bar and QA1 strut rods

Attachments

• image.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 228
Car still has the 73 nose on it that I blacked out. I want to find a 70-72 hood and bumper, I have the rest of the parts to convert the front to the 70-72 style or I also have an all metal 69 valiant grille

Attachments

• image.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 212
Original interior except for the insert in the front seat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 204
Dash is in good shape except the fuel and temp gauges don't work lol. It's an (was) ac car and I have yet to figure out why it won't blow got air, blend doors move( can hear them), blower works and there wasn't anything in the heater core...am radio and fader knob work, even has a cabled hood popper

Attachments

• image.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 207
Nice work! If you do decide to go 440 later on, save your money and start with a 512. The 440 is fun, but like any other drug, eventually, you just want more.

Thanks guys! It is hard to decide with all the stuff you can do with a smallblock nowadays and since it's all set up for it. If I keep the smallblock I think I'll convert it to a manual trans. On the other hand I have a built big block in a torino and it's hard to beat the torque and feeling from a big block!

Just got a 72 hood for 80 bucks so I put on my 72 front end. Still need a bumper, and I might put on my 69 valiant grille but it's got some dings that need fixed. So now I have some 73 parts for sale!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 189
Ordered a new carpet but had to do some prep work for some surface rust, water damaged sound deadener, and moldy seat belts. The floors were in great shape minus some surface rust.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 135
I coated the front and rear with rattle can duplicolor truck armor

Attachments

• image.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 123
Found a dress shoe behind the rear seat dated September 1975 lol. I also found a second build sheet which seemed odd because I found one behind the rear back rest jute padding and one under the rear seat pad sandwiched between the foam and seat springs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 135
-
Back