My 74 Duster project.......

Do I finish the car or sell?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

74 GoldDuster

Reaction score
Well...about 5 years ago my son and I started this project. The car is a 74 Duster with the Gold Duster and Space Duster options with factory power steering and front disc brakes with a 318. It was that frosty green color with a white vinyl top and that dark green interior. It's an Arizona car so there was no rust...so we proceeded to strip it completely down. My son took care of rebuilding the motor...not the original. We had the original motor but when we bought the car we also received a "rebuilt" motor. He also rebuilt the 904 tranny with the help of a friend of mine who is a Mopar fanatic. There was very little bodywork that was needed and it's been completely repainted..only needs to be wet sanded. So far we have replaced the rear end with an 8 3/4 with 3.73 gears, new leaf springs, shocks, gas tank, replaced all the suspension bushings with poly urethane, engine wiring, and more then I can remember. Still needs a few things.....finish the wiring, drive shaft, radiator, and the interior. It was a lot of fun.....I say was because about 4 years ago I went through a divorce..then moved..so no work has been done on the car for about 3 1/2 years. My son joined the Army almost a year ago........so I am trying to decide what to do...keep the car and finish it or sell it? I have tons of parts and we both have a ton of money in it. I hate seeing just collecting dust..........so I need some advice....motivation to finish it or sell it? HELP!

IMG_5584[1].JPG

IMG_5585[1].JPG

IMG_5586[1].JPG

IMG_5587[1].JPG

IMG_5588[1].JPG

IMG_5589[1].JPG

IMG_5590[1].JPG

Don't sell it you will hate yourself. I bought my duster just as i was getting a divorce, best therapy there is. Took me 4 years to finish it. at the same time its there for you to go pick away at. I dont want to hurt your feelings, so get off your *** stop feeling sorry for yourself. lol and go work on the car. Unless you have ZERO interest in the car, then sell it and turn the money into something else.

The first time you and your son share that first ride, (PRICELESS) you wouldn’t ever want to sell.
Suggestion: Buy another project to build and sell just not the shared one.:steering:

Don't sell it you will hate yourself. I bought my duster just as i was getting a divorce, best therapy there is. Took me 4 years to finish it. at the same time its there for you to go pick away at. I dont want to hurt your feelings, so get off your *** stop feeling sorry for yourself. lol and go work on the car. Unless you have ZERO interest in the car, then sell it and turn the money into something else.
Thanks! That's the kind of motivation I need!

The first time you and your son share that first ride, (PRICELESS) you wouldn’t ever want to sell.
Suggestion: Buy another project to build and sell just not the shared one.:steering:
That's what I am thinking...thanks for the advice!

Sounds like you miss your son, first thought when spoken then the car.
Think of working on the car to surprise your son and again share the time. Only live to share once!

My Son helped me with my vette body off rebuild. He has since moved away i know what it like to be in a big house alone. lol I went to the local shelter and rescued a dog. best thing ever.

Well...about 5 years ago my son and I started this project. The car is a 74 Duster with the Gold Duster and Space Duster options with factory power steering and front disc brakes with a 318. It was that frosty green color with a white vinyl top and that dark green interior. It's an Arizona car so there was no rust...so we proceeded to strip it completely down. My son took care of rebuilding the motor...not the original. We had the original motor but when we bought the car we also received a "rebuilt" motor. He also rebuilt the 904 tranny with the help of a friend of mine who is a Mopar fanatic. There was very little bodywork that was needed and it's been completely repainted..only needs to be wet sanded. So far we have replaced the rear end with an 8 3/4 with 3.73 gears, new leaf springs, shocks, gas tank, replaced all the suspension bushings with poly urethane, engine wiring, and more then I can remember. Still needs a few things.....finish the wiring, drive shaft, radiator, and the interior. It was a lot of fun.....I say was because about 4 years ago I went through a divorce..then moved..so no work has been done on the car for about 3 1/2 years. My son joined the Army almost a year ago........so I am trying to decide what to do...keep the car and finish it or sell it? I have tons of parts and we both have a ton of money in it. I hate seeing just collecting dust..........so I need some advice....motivation to finish it or sell it? HELP!

View attachment 1715143505

View attachment 1715143507

View attachment 1715143508

View attachment 1715143509

View attachment 1715143510

View attachment 1715143511

View attachment 1715143512
Please thank your son for his Service and continue with your beautiful duster. You have a great opportunity for some wonderful memories with your son and times he and you, will always remember. My vote is for you and your son, all the great times that await.

Please thank your son for his Service and continue with your beautiful duster. You have a great opportunity for some wonderful memories with your son and times he and you, will always remember. My vote is for you and your son, all the great times that await.
Thanks!

That car is in such nice shape, turn on some tunes in the garage, and do one thing. That's how i got mine together. Its overwhelming when you look at the whole car in a million pieces. Start at one end of the car and go from there. leave the interior out until all the glass is in the car, and all the under dash wiring is done.

Man i am bored out of my mind with no car to build right now, wish i lived closer i would be at your place every night putting that car together.

You and your son put a lot of work in this car. I bet you feel a connection to him everytime you see it. Working on it might be good therapy for you. Everyone of us needs some therapy !!

-
Back