My 904 pulled from a 318 question

-
Save more money, drill a couple holes and either sheet metal screws or pop rivet the weights on. lol
a little sealer or a little drip.

Save more money, drill a couple holes and either sheet metal screws or pop rivet the weights on. lol
a little sealer or a little drip.
sorry I had to disagree there this seems more like a how to spend your money thread than a how to save it...

I think if you check the difference between the 10236 and 10 239 is the outside diameter. I believe the 236 is 1/4 inch or so bigger in diameter and therefore there's a chance it will hit the starter when used with a 904. I might be wrong but I doubt it

I think if you check the difference between the 10236 and 10 239 is the outside diameter. I believe the 236 is 1/4 inch or so bigger in diameter and therefore there's a chance it will hit the starter when used with a 904. I might be wrong but I doubt it
could be right in the B&M situation, but I know I've used the factory flex plate on both

Wasn't my 6000 dollar stroker that ate the dipstick and had to be torn down.
Don't you ever get tired of making up false facts? Good Lord every time I post I got to think to myself how much of the stuff don't I catch? Yes it ate my cheap dipstick lesson learned. I pulled the intake manifold off after pulling the pan off and not finding nothing. And found a couple pieces up in my gallery. (I don't call that a teardown, I call that a look-see)What does that have to do with the price of tea in China again? Get your junk put together so we can watch your junk fall apart as jab kicks your butt! is this about a flexplate? Start buying $5 weights and stop buying $100 flexplates! you spend your money on the wrong things...

Don't you ever get tired of making up false facts? Good Lord every time I post I got to think to myself how much of the stuff don't I catch? Yes it ate my cheap dipstick lesson learned. I pulled the intake manifold off after pulling the pan off and not finding nothing. And found a couple pieces up in my gallery. (I don't call that a teardown, I call that a look-see)What does that have to do with the price of tea in China again? Get your junk put together so we can watch your junk fall apart as jab kicks your butt! is this about a flexplate? Start buying $5 weights and stop buying $100 flexplates! you spend your money on the wrong things...
but I haven't bought any flex plates, I have the factory ones balanced.....

but I haven't bought any flex plates, I have the factory ones balanced.....
It seems like there would be a way of doing that also just like what's done on the torque converter? Like where to space weight exactly to do it, just like drilling a flywheel?

It seems like there would be a way of doing that also just like what's done on the torque converter? Like where to space weight exactly to do it, just like drilling a flywheel?
they didn't "weld a certain amount of weight" and call it balanced. They welded a plate of steel, then they spun it maybe 200 rpm's and balanced with a "light meter". Then they slightly removed weight using a drill. Kind of like tuning a guitar. A lot more precise than welding a certain hunk of steel in a spot.

they didn't "weld a certain amount of weight" and call it balanced. They welded a plate of steel, then they spun it maybe 200 rpm's and balanced with a "light meter". They slightly removed weight using a drill. Kind of like tuning a guitar. A lot more precise than welding a certain hunk of steel in a spot.
Well of course I naturally assumed they had a laser precise measuring process at the place you took it too and paid to have it done. I was just asking if there's any information out there that you may have heard of just like there is information for counterbalancing a flywheel or balancing one and there's information for putting the weights in the correct area for a torque converter?

Well of course I naturally assumed they had a laser precise measuring process at the place you took it too and paid to have it done. I was just asking if there's any information out there that you may have heard of just like there is information for counterbalancing a flywheel or balancing one and there's information for putting the weights in the correct area for a torque converter?
Unfortunately, not that I've heard of. In fact, I've never ran across anyone else that had their factory flex plate balanced. They all use either B&M flex plate, weighted converter, or had the assembly balanced during rebuild.

I did this about 20 years ago, when I bought a TCI converter, then went from a 340 to a 360. I asked the machine shop I was using what they could do with my flex plate, and they said "no problem". Man was that 360 smooth.... weird, even with a rough idle cam it was smooth. you could hear the "thump-a-thumpity-thump, but that motor was dead still. They got me 45 bucks back then, and I thought that was a good deal.

Unfortunately, not that I've heard of. In fact, I've never ran across anyone else that had their factory flex plate balanced. They all use either B&M flex plate, weighted converter, or had the assembly balanced during rebuild.

I did this about 20 years ago, when I bought a TCI converter, then went from a 340 to a 360. I asked the machine shop I was using what they could do with my flex plate, and they said "no problem". Man was that 360 smooth.... weird, even with a rough idle cam it was smooth. you could hear the "thump-a-thumpity-thump, but that motor was dead still. They got me 45 bucks back then, and I thought that was a good deal.
The weirdest thing for me was I got that 360 and 727 combo that had been rebuilt. The one that I put in the Power Wagon and drove to Colorado. When I had it apart it had no weights on it? That's when I went to my 360 torque converter for an old car that had and chiseled the weights off and Welded them on.
The guy said he bought the truck as a complete rust bucket and drove it home and felt it had a cam in it? I think it was just shaking from the missbalanced torque converter.

The weirdest thing for me was I got that 360 and 727 combo that had been rebuilt. The one that I put in the Power Wagon and drove to Colorado. When I had it apart it had no weights on it? That's when I went to my 360 torque converter for an old car that had and chiseled the weights off and Welded them on.
The guy said he bought the truck as a complete rust bucket and drove it home and felt it had a cam in it? I think it was just shaking from the missbalanced torque converter.
LOL.. he was right! An instant, cheap, rough idle cam if you have a 360: Chisel the weights off the converter … LOL :D

Question: why didn't you just put your converter in it? Save the chisel and weld job.

LOL.. he was right! An instant, cheap, rough idle cam if you have a 360: Chisel the weights off the converter … LOL :D

Question: why didn't you just put your converter in it? Save the chisel and weld job.
The old converter was on 904 car in very unknown condition and the one I was working on was for a 727 4×4.

LOL I questioned why I saved that pile of junk converter till that day. still got it just in case...

Also I find life is never that easy for me...
LOL I questioned why I saved that pile of junk converter till that day. still got it just in case...
I have junk that's been sitting for 20+ years that I haven't touched - just in case :D I'm thinking it's in my near future to go through and sell or scrap about 3/4's of it. Yes, there are a few converters as well.....

I have junk that's been sitting for 20+ years that I haven't touched - just in case :D I'm thinking it's in my near future to go through and sell or scrap about 3/4's of it. Yes, there are a few converters as well.....

Any 904 high stall converters with 360 weights welded on???

-
Back