my adoptive car

-

shafer

Reaction score
I have adopted this car and plan to use it in a couple of cruise ins this year. This was my grandma's bug- in 1972 my mom went with grandma cobb to pick out this car. This car was shared by my mom her sister and her brother for several years until my aunt bought it in 1980. My mom passed away sudenly last year so this car has become more dear to my heart. Eventhough I am a mopar guy i have grown very fond of this 1969 bug. It is a stick shift without a clutch. I am going to drive it some so it doesnt deteriorate. it will eventually be restored. I know it is not an a body but i did want to share the story
View attachment DSCF4658.jpg

View attachment DSCF4657.jpg

View attachment DSCF4656.jpg

View attachment DSCF4655.jpg

those are fun, i had a 69 bug and a 72 bus. my 69 had the autostick too, i believe it was the first year for it. there is a must have book for every vw owner, it was written by an old hippie who knows everything about these things. its full of phsychadelic drawings and made easy to understand. wish i could remember the name of it.

Looks like it is in great shape. A real piece of your family's history and sure worth keeping.
Thanks for sharing.
I drive a 1992 VW Corrado to and from work.

I saw somethin that would probably make you sick to your stomach, it definitely made me turn away in pain. Out in the woods where I found all those cars just sittin, I got lost tryin to find them again and instead found a sinkhole filled with old beetles chopped in half, some even chopped into fifths. All of about 7-8 of them were all in this sinkhole, buried under late 50's early 60's fridges, washing machines, and misc. other appliances, it was sick and twisted.

Glad to see yours in such great shape and well take care of. It looks completely untouched by the years. If only A-bodies were commonly found in this condition...A man can dream:toothy10:

those are fun, i had a 69 bug and a 72 bus. my 69 had the autostick too, i believe it was the first year for it. there is a must have book for every vw owner, it was written by an old hippie who knows everything about these things. its full of phsychadelic drawings and made easy to understand. wish i could remember the name of it.
the book is called how to keep your volkswagon alive.

Gotta love a bug! My wife would trade me in for a VW convertible. Come to think of it, she would trade me in for a Kia at this point! LOL

That book is:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/How-Keep-Your-Volkswagen-Alive/dp/1562614800/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305037419&sr=1-1-fkmr2#reader_1562614800"]Amazon.com: How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot (9781562614805): John Muir, Tosh Gregg: Books[/ame]

The 69 was a great year for the bug, IMO even better than the 67 once you removed the darn plastic dash and relocated the passenger grab handle to cover the holes. You may have some issues with true V8 types with those stock "tweety" pipes.

Do not sell that car as it will not get impacted by the magnetic/electric storm some predict for 2012/2013 solar max cycle. Points ignition.

Make sure the fuel line is in good shape and not rubbing on anything. When I was a kid my grandfather had one burn up on him, it didn't phase him though he replaced a few wires (just enough to get it running) and kept driving it with the back window deformed and smoked up. Those were tough little cars.

Way cool. Why restore it? As they say, cars are only original once! I've got a new appreciation for original paint; even with a few dings and scrapes.

Enjoy it! The Bug is another Car on my "must own" list.

Yeah baby! Cool lil V-dub. My dad was a die-hard bug man. He bought several from the 50's and 60's brand new. They are terrific little cars. Back in '71 my dad traded in his last bug on a '71 Demon with a slant 6, auto and am radio. No other options. Bench seat car and 4-wheel manual drum brakes. I remember that day even though I was only 4 years old. I was laying down in the back window of the bug, my older brother and our dog (a collie that looked exactly like Lassie) and a ton of groceries were in the back seat. That's when reality set in that with a growing family they needed a car with more room. So they got a Demon. Knowing my parents I'm surprised that they went for a swoopy Demon and not a boxy 4-door Dart.

I'd love to find my dad another bug. What other car can you drop the engine out in 15 minutes or less with just a wrench and a screwdriver. Yes I've done it several times many years ago on a customer's bug.

Wylde1.

Oooooooo I hope no one beat me to it but..................punch buggy, no punch backs

Make sure the fuel line is in good shape and not rubbing on anything. When I was a kid my grandfather had one burn up on him, it didn't phase him though he replaced a few wires (just enough to get it running) and kept driving it with the back window deformed and smoked up. Those were tough little cars.
car runns perfect-no fuel issues

Way cool. Why restore it? As they say, cars are only original once! I've got a new appreciation for original paint; even with a few dings and scrapes.

Enjoy it! The Bug is another Car on my "must own" list.

had a repaint 20 years ago - paint is popping off in places so for now i made so minor touch ups

car runns perfect-no fuel issues
There is a section of metal fuel line that passes through the cooling shroud, over time from normal engine vibration the fuel line rubs against the shroud and wears a hole in it. It wont effect engine performance until the fuel line sprays fuel over a hot engine and it bursts into flames. Its a common problem with Vdub beetles.

There is a section of metal fuel line that passes through the cooling shroud, over time from normal engine vibration the fuel line rubs against the shroud and wears a hole in it. It wont effect engine performance until the fuel line sprays fuel over a hot engine and it bursts into flames. Its a common problem with Vdub beetles.
i'll check it out

Enjoy the old bug, the old gal will run forever will minor tlc.

-
Back