My cali car's beggining to rust

-

Dart Shawn

I wanna go fast!!!
Reaction score
The previous owner put a new vinyl top on it and now its begining to rust.

I am now at a cross roads the top is new and looks good, yet my car is begining to rust. if I tear it off it will look terrible and I dont have the tools to remove the adhesive. Should I leave the top on for now? or should I remove it and fix all the rust thats coming? The rust isnt that bad yet, it has ruined one small section of metal but I may be able t grind it out and cure it so the rust stops or I can find a donor Dart and cut the panel out the only problem with that is I'd be cutting up another california car to get a god solid piece.
any tips on what I should so? I will supply pics of the problem area's that are visable at this time.

Shawn.

P1010055-1.jpg

yank the top. it will only get worse. don't cut a car up for a patch. i always go to a body shop and ask for permission to cut a patch out of a wrinkled panel in their scrap pile. when i tell them it for an old muscle car they are usually glad to let you "recycle". i know if you can find a totaled cargo van, you can get alot of flat panels. just my 2 cents. just don't use any of that crappy GM steel. it makes your car smell funny.

Should I pull it asap? or can it wait a little while, were not talking years or nothing like that just till I can get my hands on some serious grit sand paper. I have sheet metal that I may be able meake a patch out of the only thing I'm worried about is matching the contour I'm not sure if I can get it just right and if I dont it will look terrible.

Shawn.

Should I pull it asap? or can it wait a little while, were not talking years or nothing like that just till I can get my hands on some serious grit sand paper. I have sheet metal that I may be able meake a patch out of the only thing I'm worried about is matching the contour I'm not sure if I can get it just right and if I dont it will look terrible.

Shawn.

If you don't let it get rained on any more it should be ok for a bit.
Before you go cutting and patching I would try taking some 60-80 grit to it. Mabby you will get lucky and it will only be sufice rust.

on mine i am thinking about pulling it all off and wirewheeling it and grinding it smooth and por15ing it before this happens. you might be ably to talk the bodyshop to help you get it to that contour. they are experts with this kinda thing so they would know whats easiest. but i would pull it ALL off and take care of it as soon as you can. rust never sleeps

Rust mort it or por 15 if a new vynal top is going back on. Rust never sleeps.

Nope no vinyl top, never been a fan of vinyl tops yet the car ran and had a brand new interior so I bought it!. the new Vinyl top was just an extra.

the metal is pitted out pretty bad I am gonna try to grind it out but I dont think grinding it will get it. Maybe I should just try to get my friends 73 Duster...

Shawn.

Rust mort it or por 15 if a new vynal top is going back on. Rust never sleeps.

Nope no vinyl top, never been a fan of vinyl tops yet the car ran and had a brand new interior so I bought it!. the new Vinyl top was just an extra.

the metal is pitted out pretty bad I am gonna try to grind it out but I dont think grinding it will get it. Maybe I should just try to get my friends 73 Duster...

Shawn.

Like I said rust mort it and pull that top off. Protect the metal and worry about patching it later.

How about some pictures of that V-8 Vega! I had a 1973 327 vega and a 1976 350 Vega i built, love them!..

Shawn,
Depending on how extensive the rust is you may be able to stop it and save the top, too. I have successfully repaired areas like that.
If you can, carefully peel the top up past the rusty area. You will need a little extra room to work. Using a heat gun on the vinyl helps soften the adhesive. You will have to pull the top back far enough you can work the bad areas. I have used a wire brush on a drill to clean put the pits. Then use a coat of POR-15 to seal it. Then use a thin coat of fiberglass reinforced filler to fill the pits. You can use it to fill small pinholes if you have them. Just stop the rust with POR-15 or equivalent first. Sand smooth, prime, and paint it. You just need some kind of paint to keep water from soaking into the primer. You will likely have some rust and paint stuck to the vinyl where you peel it up. Use a dull knife to scrape this stuff off. You may stretch the vinyl when you pull it up but it should lay back down if you apply a little heat to it. You can stretch it a little to get any wrinkles out also. Use some 3-M Super spray adhesive, a coat on the vinyl and a coat on the roof, let it tack up some then pull the vinyl back down. Be sure the paint is cured or the adhesive will lift it.
Hope this helps,
Dallas

-
Back