my dart won't start........

-
Reaction score
My '69 Dart GTS 340 four speed is turning over but not as fast as it normally would. The ways it sounds is just like a battery with a low charge or one that is close to being discharged from too many failed attempts to start. There is a slight clicking sound from under the hood when the starter is spinning but the engine won't fire. This is not my daily driver but I want it to be!! I replaced the fenderwell mounted starter relay thinking that might be the problem but no luck. A new battery (it was time for one) still didn't make a difference. It is a 340 with less than 3000 miles on a rebuild, has DC electronic ignition with an orange box, firewall mounted ballast, and the original wiring. Prior to this problem it would fire up with a minimum of effort. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you getting gas squirting into the carb. when you pump the carb? Have you got spark to the distributor? Have you got spark at one of spark plugs? If no spark the first thing I'd check is the ballast resistor.

Terry

If you don't have a great speed on the starter it might need some grease at the rear bearing. I just greased one up that was stuck for a friend of mine.

Do you have spark at the plugs?
Does it get gas?
The timing?
The gap on the points?

Terry,
Thanks for the reply. I have gas so no fuel delivery problem. I have voltage to all the right spots: voltage regulator, coil, starter relay, orange box module. What I haven't checked is the starter.The confounding aspect of this whole thing is why the starter is turning turning slowly. Tomorrow is my day off so I am going to check all the wiring to the starter to see if I can find something small that might be the culprit. Original wiring might be the cause. I see you are from Canada, eh? I was born in Newfoundland but got moved to Texas when I was a tyke.
Thanks again. I'll keep you up on my adventure.

Roger

The Starter turning slow would bother me.. you didn't say if you had spark at the plugs? just to the module box, coil, starter relay and voltage regulator......just wondering about that. what about the pickup in the distributor. Might be something with the old wiring but I wouldn't think you would have power to everywhere you do... Good Luck...

-
Back