My Dart

-
I bought it about 5 weeks ago. I installed new front shocks, rear air shocks it was sagging a little. New tires and rims, I got every light working except the light over the speedometer which is on sometimes, sometimes not. Gas gauge and all works. It has a 1969 Dodge Dart 225 in it right now. Sending the original engine to be rebuilt it is the same 225 but all matching numbers will be nice. It is an automatic and I love working on it and will be crusing down the Jersey Shore this summer, lol. Thanks for asking

Nothing wrong with getting the original engine back in, but just to let you know there are no VIN numbers stamped on you original engine. That didn't start until sometime in the 1968 model year. Nice car, though.

Jim,

I'm kind of new to all of this. I was wondering how they cross match the engine to make sure it was the original engine. What about the casting number on the side would that show a range of what year the engine was produced?

I looked up the casting number from the above website. The number on my engine is 2463430-5 the website shows it is a 1966 engine. The car I have is a 1965 and the door panels had a date of 12/8/64 written on the inside panel. I wonder why the descrepancy? What part of Maine spent every summer since 1970 in a town called Stetson about 20 miles west of Bangor.

Check the casting date. Galen's part number book shows that to be a 66 casting number, but the 273 casting number is only a few off and was first used in 1964 (these were originated in order) so I suspect you have the correct number, but the date will tell for sure.

Anything pre-VIN stamp can only be suspected to have the original engine based on the casting number and build date. The scheduled production date of the car is on the fender tag (which also does NOT have the VIN). If the engine is stamped with an "A" it is a 65 engine.

From the 1965 National Service Data:

"Engine number stamped on right side of block on a machined boss directly behind ignition coil."

Yours should read "A 225 xx xx" where the "xx xx" is the build date of the engine (could be "xx x" or "x xx" or "x x"). This date should be before the scheduled prodution date, but not always as that is only the scheduled date, not necessarily the actual build date of the car.

WilliamI:
What part of Maine spent every summer since 1970 in a town called Stetson about 20 miles west of Bangor.

Just outside of Brewer.

Do you bring the Dart to Maine? We have a lot of shows within two hour’s drive of Bangor all summer.

My sister leaves near Brewer. I might bring it up for her to see. Jim thanks for all your help....

-
Back