My DIY E85 conversion and early thoughts

-

BB73Challenger

Reaction score
Hi all,
I thought I would share my E85 experience.
I know it's not available for all, but would share what I had...
As the title says I completed an E-85 conversion, and I''l walk you through what I did and this would be a great platform for any to add known FACTS please.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but alot of my "home work" led me to threads that would start well enough and end in a keyboard war of why E85 is bad for this reason or destroys this and that.
I not only surfed the web but chased down guys at local cruises and shows to ask them about there conversions.
I obviously limited this to carb scenarios as that was what I was concerned with.

So the back story..
I have a stroked and bored 500 ci B series block in my Challenger that's on the verge/beyond straight pump gas.
I did not want to change the engine for dynamic comp or cylinder pressure, nor de-tune.
When I did finish the engine install, like a bonehead I didn't upgrade the fuel system, so earlier I did enlarge fuel lines and pump.
I am still running a high volume Eddy mechanical pump.
So my carb was a basic Holley 850 DP that I had done an extra 50 cc pump, and had served pretty well.
I had been using 94 premium with an additive that seemed to work well. As premium and my additive climbed last season it made it very expensive.

I opted for the DIY piece meal for 2 reasons.
1 - I could buy pieces here and there at little high out of pocket
2 - I have all of my original un-molested pieces if I should want to go back

My buy list was not too long, and I spent the winter shopping.
I found what I believe the most important piece on E-bay, a Rob Mix Proform body "sized" 1050 with enlarged down leg boosters.
For 200 bucks that was money well spent, and now i had adjustable bleeds.
The next most expensive and no short cut piece was Quick fuels 4150 E85 metering blocks. 140 from Summit that I coupled with a coupon I had ( 10% off! )
I picked up Quick fuels alcohol rebuild kits 3-204 off Ebay for 60 - this gives me the high flow needles, seats, 65 PV, gaskets the whole nine yards.
I did need some small bleeds, .025 High speed, and just made them from blanks ordered through Summit again, and a set of .061 Air bleeds.
So once I had these pieces I used Quick fuels own E85 1050 carb for an idea of baseline tuning specs.
.150 needle and seat
.061 air bleed .025 high speed
50 cc accel pumps front and rear with aggressive cams
45 squirters front and rear
65 power valve front plug rear
90 jet front 98 rear
squared transition slots
idle screws 1-1/2 turns out

I did get a 100 micron screen filter pre pump and 40 post pump, pre carb, again stainless mesh.

Now, I did already have new hard lines/braided stainless line through the fuel system, so I eliminated rubber even a while back.
The fuel pump, many felt that talks of negative effects are greatly exaggerated, and in my opinion, I'd agree to a point.
Heck, we have 15 percent ethanol in regular pump gas already and it has torn things like plastic sight plugs and rubber accel pumps on my old carbs before.
Most had said after at least 2 years of use there were no signs of any negative effects.

I ran my tank pretty empty before the change, trying to get right to the new E85.
I bought 5 gals at the station I will primarily use and tested it at E87/88.
I first fired the car and the use on AN fittings was worth it as no leaks!
I do have an O2 meter and running Lambda scale and when started was darn near 1.0 at idle, very lucky.
I let the car warm up, and had to back off the electric fan, as I read we need to warm higher than the 150 I was at in idle, now the fans kick on at 165.
The idle did richen up to .90 and I figured I'll run fat till I dial it in.
A quick round the block and everything felt pretty good. With gas when I had a lean spot you felt it no question.
I can "log" with my littel A/F meter and will do that next session.
The car felt so good and when Id check the meter it would climb a little fat on accel and seemed pretty good, so I put another 6 gals in at the pump.

I'm really excited about how this is turning out, and again if anybody would like to add anything that would be great, I think all the info we can add will help someone down the road for a conversion if they would like!

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/150275/10002/-1?parentProductId=1538568

I did not see you mention using the hollow screws, they allow more flow through the squirters especially once you get larger then .040.

I took the easy way out and bought QFT carb...but I also converted a 750 using basically the same parts that you got listed. I am now trying to convert a 750 vacuum secondary holley to E85, have not yet run it down the track to see how it works.

Good job...

Im possibly thinking of selling my brand new Holley ultra hp 750 that I had converted. Im going a different route with engine and no longer wish to use this carb that has 100 miles on it haha

Great info! We finally have a vendor, who sells it now. (2.69 @ gallon) Something else, to think about.

Nice work! been tossing the idea around also. I have a pro form main body on 750, and wonder if I would get enough fuel without changing boosters? I have read about a few guys doing it on low HP motors, my 340 is only 350 or so.

sweet....might be worth looking into....we got E-85 comin out of our ears out here in Nebraska. And it is like 2.00~ per gallon. [you can find it even cheaper out here if you do some lookin around] would be nice to be able to run high compression and not worry.

I don't think you got lucky at all. Sounds to me like you did your research and got it right. Good job and good info for those wanting something more than pump gas possible.

Never in a million years would I have thought to look at an e85 spec carb and simply replicate it. Respect.

-
Back