My ex-Cop Car, for You F-M-J Guys & Gals!

-

Killer6

Reaction score
Acquired with no eng./tranny, I helped it along with a few "upgrades"....30+yrs. ago..
20220205_132812.jpg
20220205_130907.jpg

Nice! Some years back I bought a couple of complete ex cop car diplomats for parts! Now I'm sure I'd look at the cars other than "parts cars" LOL

A low key car to embarrass all the rich kids at every stop light...I love it.

I have a retired State Trooper friend, that drove these Diplomats. He said they were the slowest slugs that he ever drove.

My buddy drives a Fury as a daily driver, salt is taking its toll, ugly as a turd but very dependable and economical compared to upgrading to a much newer vehicle

I have a retired State Trooper friend, that drove these Diplomats. He said they were the slowest slugs that he ever drove.

years ago i was talking with a VA state trooper who said the 69 Polara was one of the best cars he ever drove as a trooper - comfortable and would easily bury the certified 150 MPH speedo. He was a trooper from around 65 to 80 or so

years ago i was talking with a VA state trooper who said the 69 Polara was one of the best cars he ever drove as a trooper - comfortable and would easily bury the certified 150 MPH speedo. He was a trooper from around 65 to 80 or so
Yep a big old boat that would just fly. Those 440's sounded like a top fueler!

i worked at a dodge dealer that had the maint/repair contract with state of illinois. we had plenty of those diplomats to work on. they had a transmission lock out on the gearshift linkage that was supposed to not let them shift into 1st or 2nd gear manually. i replaced more than a dozen linkages that they bent, pulling it hard down in low. i even removed the carb and tweeked them to where they would run between 125-130 without leaning out too bad. neat cars for sure.

'66 383 w/factory 4bbl intake & 750 Holley looks at home, still "stock"...
20220205_131844.jpg

I've wanted one for the longest time. Put a overdrive 4spd in it and fuel injected stroker and use it as a daily driver. Hard to find a clean one in the northeast.

....but if You looked really hard behind the int. mt'd. coil, the drop-base filter, & followed the black corrugated loom that ended up below both fuel bowls..
20220205_132606.jpg

The big C Bodies back in the day, were the ultimate patrol cars. Comfortable, nice driving, stable at speed, and sounded really nice. I have TTI exhaust on my Polara, Between the Thermoquad and the exhaust at full throttle-it sounds pretty awesome.
Yep a big old boat that would just fly. Those 440's sounded like a top fueler!
I saw these two patrolmen along the highway standing in the ditch talking one day. I had always wondered what the law enforcement thought of my car, so I turned around and went back to talk to them. They were glad i stopped and had to check the car out. They took a bunch of pictures, and had me turn the red lights on. The officer behind me had turned on his lights so we wouldn't get hit. Just then 3 semi's came over the hill from the forward direction that we were facing. I never heard 3 jake brakes at once! Anyhow we visited for half an hour and we all had to go. I asked them if they wanted me to get on it when I left-they said yes. I had to go up about a quarter of a mile to get turned around. I stood on her for all she was worth, when I went by them, I was up to 85mph, and the Thermoquad was singing. They both waved. A person never gets to do that!
Charlie 080.JPG

Then the 383 got the heads ported 1.74 exh valves, 284/.484 cam, custom deep-baffled pan/wind tray, DP4B int., & headers.
20220205_130709.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, they were dogs, but in town or tight back-roads it was hard to get away from 'em.
Ultimately, Mine was doing 102-103mph on that eng. w/o the NOS. I turned the 833 into a crash-box, put an 8.75 from a '68RR w/4.89's in it, & a cerametallic puck clutch,....as I'd destroyed the 1st 2 clutches.
Edit; should have added that I was using a Walbro solenoid/bellows style pusher fuel pump, which sprang a leak. In My haste to put the Holley Red pump in it's place, I used the barbed brass fittings supplied, I noticed a drop in top-end afterwards. Car would've done better had I been attentive, the holes in those fittings were lucky if they were 3/16".!!

Last edited:
My high school auto shop instructor was lead mechanic at one of the Dodge dealers that serviced and repaired the RCMP highway patrol cars in the 1970's before he started teaching. He had a ton of stories about "road testing" the old Polaras and Furys. He was certified by the RCMP to do "top speed verification" testing. One of the two best teachers I ever had in school.

Man, that's a dead-ringer for how My "Killer6" looked when I got it except for the wheel combo, lol!

Found a few pics going through some boxes last week;
20230202_192403.jpg

20230202_191925.jpg

Had a friend drive the "Killer6", & I drove the Dippy, '90 Nats.

I knew a guy that had one of those, same body style. It still had the cage between the front and rear seats.
His kid was high strung, Ritalin.

-
Back