my first dodge story

-

madd

Reaction score
So this will be my build thread. So many have asked for a build thread here it is. This maybe a different kind of thread then you all might be used to. Because with this story, you will need some background information. With this you will see where I come from on this build.

27yo self taught backyard mechanic. Been into cars since I was little. I started my first in the mechanical field drilling water wells. Learned to weld, cut, operate and fix all kinds of odds and ends. Worked at a quick lube all the way up to a store manager of my own store. Manager trainee at a wheel tire accessory store. Now working at a dealership as a service writer.
Also getting a divorce. I have two little girls under age 5. Living paycheck to paycheck. Can completely support everything, rent, bills, all that jazz and live very comfortably but no mansion.
This is where the truck comes in. I had a car payment on a 91 Toyota tercel DX 2dr base model. Not even a radio. Kids didn't fit, car payments suck. No power, no upgrades and a 200k mile car that I didn't own.

Truck: so I find a craigslist ad. 1981 dodge d150. 850. OK look further. 2wd step side slant six 4 speed. Hmm. Three hours away, OK. Ran until January, ok. Undiagnosed charging issue, OK. Talk to owner, young guy like me needs to sell the truck. Agreed upon six sight unseen, if it ran. Only thing I know about slants is they are bullet proof. Never seen one, ever. Just heard about and seen in TV. I planned my trip, tools, ride, battery, alternator and kids.
We are off, road trip! Get to truck. Talk. Out in battery, truck starts, runs, idles quietly. Awesome and get truck for 500. Put battery and alternator in. Drive to gas station. Filled it up with premium and drove home. Two hours and as hard as I could up hill down hill corners brakes everything. No issues. 3 miles from home and truck dies. Kids in truck now and on the side of a road at a stop sign. Battery's dead. Undiagnosed charging issue. Wire came off alternator and the factory wire connector was no longer connected. Pocket knife savior. Strip wire loop into tab on alt. Jumped by a stranger. Off and running. Made it home.
Went to parts store next day bought:
Six NGK plugs for 99 jeep Cherokee 4.0l
Wire, butt connectors, spades, eyelets, shrink tubes all that type stuff.
And all old car basics air filter WD 40 coolant all that.
To be continued......

Thanks for reading if you did.

Cool story.
Does it have the truck 4 speed or the 4 speed overdrive?
You can get a lot of parts for cheap for these trucks if you look.
I'll be watching this one.
I've got a soft spot for '81 dodge trucks.

Straight four speed no od. To tired to type gotta work in morning. I will continue story soon. Thanks for reading.

Nice start. Keep taking pics as you do all this so that you can make your own walk through for others that want to know as well!

These are the most recent pics. Taken today after I painted the wiper arms, cowling and wheels flat black. Third picture is where leaf spring attaches to axle. Anybody got any ideas how to flip that?

Third picture is where leaf spring attaches to axle. Anybody got any ideas how to flip that?

Dodge Dakota parts. Otherwise. You might be able to score some OLD dodge truck parts when they were 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Dart doctor has one like that at his place. Not for sale though. You may however be able to talk him in to getting pics

OK so update.
Working on speedo gear check/ possible replacement.
Have all parts for Hei conversion.
Van lcas and drop shackles in the mail.
Trying to find my heater blower motor resistor, behind dash?
No carpet.
installed 24" of LEDs as a dome light.
MP3 head unit with decent out put for tunes.
Removed covers from dash bulbs.
Need:
Grille and frame dunno what years will bolt up. Hope 85-90 will.
Head light doors and turn signal housings
Straight bumper.
Pass door latch
Driver door lower hinge.

That's all I got for right now

OK well idk but I checked it at the tire shop. 5x4.5.
Fix blower motor resistor until I can find one. Need to fix loose wire connection at switch. Also need to fix loose ground on cluster. And speedo. Grrr.

OK well idk but I checked it at the tire shop. 5x4.5.
Fix blower motor resistor until I can find one. Need to fix loose wire connection at switch. Also need to fix loose ground on cluster. And speedo. Grrr.

Which switch? Blower speed or main unit

Blower speed? I think. It shuts off randomly. Wiggle blower speed wiring and starts working.

Blower speed? I think. It shuts off randomly. Wiggle blower speed wiring and starts working.

i have one of those switches. my main unit went bad, but the speed selector switch was still good. if you buy my caps, ill send it with them and the hinge

Attachments

• image-726011534.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 367
  • image-1804492335.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 353
Woo got grille assembly with both head light doors. Painted and installed in the rain. Pics tomorrow when its not dark and raining.

Heater blower fixed for good. Drop shackles are here. Grille is on.
To do:
Install Hei
Install tach + mechanical gauges
Install lowering shackles
Fix random headlight outages
Paint mirrors
Get straight bumper

-
Back