My first muscle car build thread (lots of pics)

-

SirDan

Reaction score
A little about me:
My name is Dan im 21 years old. Im about to go into my senior year in college for computer graphics. I dont have a job (yet) but i make money here and there to fund my mopar addiction. Im not an expert but i do know a thing or two about cars.

The car:
Its a 1973 dodge dart swinger, with a 318, 904, 8 1/4, power disc brakes, power steering, a/c, am radio car.

This is how it sat when i got it.
100_2059.jpg

This is how it sits now:
IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

I dont think the previous owner did body work, this panel looks like the sea!
IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

The story:

My father bought the car for me when i was around 16. We got it home then at some point he ordered a full front end rebuild kit and a set of addco swaybars. He rebuilt one side of the front end (supposedly i helped but i dont recall) and the car got parked out back and moved once or twice but prettymuch sat till i was about 20. I rebuilt and painted the other side of the front end and installed some kyb gas-adjust shocks. The next thing i had to tackle was the blown rear brake line, I played it safe and decided to just replace all of them so i ordered brake lines from inline tube and installed those. Then i noticed my pedal was spongy, long story short i replaced damn near everything in the brakes and its still spongey but drivable. So now that the brakes worked i could drive the car, i noticed the thing would ping and backfire out the carburator. I rebuilt the carburator which it needed anyway then did plugs, rotor and cap. I dident replace the plug wires since they looked pretty new. the car still ran like crap so i did a timing chain. Still ran like crap. then i changed the plug wires and she finaly ran good. Stupid mistake on my part. Then go figure, a few days later my dads friend gives me a 340 cam. #-o So anyway ive been driving the car for a few months on and off and its nice to be driving it. but thats just the beginning of this ongoing story.

Changes ive made prior to making this thread:

I bought a 2" dual exhaust with H pipe and rusty tips for 100 bucks Then got 2 glasspacks for 15 dollars. sounds great on there.

I found a set of rally wheels and caps that my dad bought for me at some point in the trunk so ive bolted those on with some 225/60/14 bfgs.

I added a temporary radio that i got for free. I have a new radio but the windsheild leaks too bad at the moment. i wont risk ruining it.

I did wiper pivot seals since they were bad looking. go figure they werent the culprit of the leak though!

I added a grant reproduction tuff wheel. It looks and feels alot better than the stock one.

I put a fuel filter and fuel pump on since i have had the engine randomly cut out on me. dident solve the problem of course.

I put a dome light cover on the car since it dident have one.

I effed with the gauges and got them all working great! except the speedometer but thats likely the cable.

I installed the addco front swaybar. After i went around a turn with the car trying to pass someone at 50 mph and the right rear tire started spinning i figured i had some body roll.

Parts ive acquired:
I got the entire nose of a 72 dart for 200 bucks.

my dad bought a plymouth feather duster a while back for 200 bucks. We took all the 4 speed gear out of it and the tranny.

I got a used 833 non OD and bellhousing for 250 it needs a rebuild.

I got a go wing and hoodscoops at some point for my birthday or christmas.

I got a A body rear with 323 gears and a sure grip for 600 bucks from a local member

At some point my dad got me 2 quarter panels.

I have some other misc parts but this is the big stuff ive aquired. Also keep in mind all the stuff my dad got me was over the span of at least 5 years. im not that spoiled.

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

Plans for the car:

Body: Im keeping my vinyl, putting the 72 nose on, adding hood scoops and a go wing, and converting to 70-71 style marker lights. Im unsure of how to paint it just yet but im doing something different paint wise. mopar had some nice paint jobs but i want to be different.

Drivetrain:

Im converting to 4 speed, throwing the 8 3/4 in and building up some kind of small block.

The Current plans:

Im focusing on the drivetrain first before anything else. Im currently working on putting my 8 3/4 in after that i might throw a few bolt ons at the stock 318 as i wont have money to build a nice motor for a while but have some bolt on parts allready. I have what i belive is everything to swap over to 4 speed. The od 4 speed i have is in working order so im putting that in untill i can rebuild the non od one. Not sure what to work on after all that stuff but stay tuned and youll find out.

8 3/4 install!

So i took the SBP axles out of my 8 3/4 and took the backing plates off. Im going to use the backing plates on my 8 1/4 and i ordered moser BBP axles for it. I Cleaned the grime off the rear end and brushed on a nice think coat of black rustoleum. I got creative with the sticker moser sent me. I also got some new bearings from moser. The originals are in nice shape though. Anyway I just need fluids, shock plates lug studs and a driveshaft and ill put it in. Im itching to do some 2 wheel burnouts! Anyone know if stock BBP lug studs fit moser axles?

IMG_1092-1.jpg

IMG_1093-1.jpg

IMG_1090-1.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

Have fun with it!

That's a lot of parts for some very good prices you've come across.

nice start keep use posted. like to see the shifter linkage mounted up so i can hook mine up. it,s already in the car.

wow you have quite the collection of parts! where on Long island are you located?

Collecting parts before diving into a project is a smart thing to do. That college must be paying off. :-D Good luck with the rebuild and keep us posted.

My sister and her family live on Highpoint in Huntington Station. Your project is looking good. Keep us posted on your progress.

I think the best thing I can tell you is thanks for bringing her back to life...I was hooked on Mopars when I was 15....I hope more of the younger people catch on and do the same thing...keep it going...good luck and have fun..

Looks good. There used to be a dart just like that sitting here in Logan. I almost bought it, then one day it was gone. I sure wish I would have bought it though. If it were mine. I would keep it Silver. I think it looks nice.

Thanks for all the comments, they really inspire me to get off my *** and get to work.:cheers:

I have good news! I won a set of scratch n' dent flowtech ceramic coated headers on ebay! Ill get some pictures when i get them, I hope they work. It says in summit that they fit darts but im concerned that it also says it fits damn near everything else like chargers challengers aspens. I guess ill find out. Either way for the price i paid i dont think i can lose out.:thumbrig:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...c=1&item=360280941462&viewitem=#ht_1507wt_939

Nice work so far keep it up! It looks fairly solid from the pictures and if you can still drive it while you restore it have fun!!!

wow nice deal on the headers. Im interested to see how they fit.

Im hoping they fit good. My dad got a set of flowtech ceramic coated headers from the same seller for 100 bucks for his chevy truck. They fit great needed no denting and werent close to anything. took about 1/2 hour to bolt up. Granted it is a truck with tons of room. Its been on the truck allitle while now and theres just the slightest amount of rust on the welds at the collector. Hopefully they fit as good on my car, we will see! They sure will look good too!

Hey SirDan!

'Nother Huntington resident and Dart owner here! I have a '71 Dart I'm working on. Let me know if you ever need a hand with anything.

- Greg

Will do! I can lend a hand as well if you need anything, im not the smartest guy or the strongest but If you need another set of hands or something i wouldn't mind helping out.

I also have good news! I got my headers today! They seem pretty good to me. The welds aren't museum pieces but they look like they did the job. I would be putting them on if i could but they dont work with p/s. hopefully everything works out with my friend and i get a manual box from him.

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

So good news! A friend let me "borrow" some 8 3/4 shock plates. He said i can use them but have to replace them. And im not sure if i mentioned it yet but my uncle said he has a "pile" of driveshafts and i could have one for free. So ive decided to stick my rear in and see how long my driveshaft needs to be. So it begins! I actualy got the rear out tonight but it was too dark for any more pictures. Ill get some more tommorow. anyway heres what i got. Im currently using an overhang thats next to my garage as my garage. My dads using the garage, anyway heres some pictures. Oh these are only cell phone pictures so they are pretty bad. Ill get some nice pictures on my digital SLR camera tommorow.

downsized_0729001918.jpg

downsized_0729001918a.jpg

downsized_0729001917.jpg

So here are some of the pictures i promised. The car actualy had a wimpy 7 1/4! my toyota has a bigger rear end!

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

-
Back