My first old car - 73 Dart Swinger

-

Keystone

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Last month I bought my first old car, a 73 Dart Swinger. It needs some work, but it’s a running, driving car with a mostly solid body. It’s a 318 with the 904 trans.

The previous owner started fixing it up. Just off the top of my head: new shocks, front brakes, ball joints, brake booster, master cylinder, rebuilt engine (I was told the block is an ’87, a Summit low-end cam, and headers with 2 ½” dual exhaust. He also removed the vinyl top and patched the area below the rear window which had apparently started to rust.

On my list right now is rust repair in the trunk and floors from damage caused by a water leak, new leaf springs, bigger torsion bars, fuel gauge sender, get the dash lights working, identifying and fixing some oil leak(s), either reupholstering the front split bench seat or replacing it with buckets, and fixing anything else I find along the way.

Eventually I’d like to add 15" wheels/tires, upgrade to an 8 ¼” rear with limited slip and better gears, paint it, and move to EFI, but that’ll be down the road a ways.

As for me I’ve been doing my own maintenance and repairs on my cars, trucks, and motorcycles for years. I’ve been wanting an old car for a while now, but the last few years I’ve been fixing up the house and property I bought. Now that the homestead is under control, it’s time for something fun.
IMG_20161220_165933_709.jpg
IMG_20170107_130308_439.jpg
IMG_20170107_130335_764.jpg

Hello everyone,

Last month I bought my first old car, a 73 Dart Swinger. It needs some work, but it’s a running, driving car with a mostly solid body. It’s a 318 with the 904 trans.

The previous owner started fixing it up. Just off the top of my head: new shocks, front brakes, ball joints, brake booster, master cylinder, rebuilt engine (I was told the block is an ’87, a Summit low-end cam, and headers with 2 ½” dual exhaust. He also removed the vinyl top and patched the area below the rear window which had apparently started to rust.

On my list right now is rust repair in the trunk and floors from damage caused by a water leak, new leaf springs, bigger torsion bars, fuel gauge sender, get the dash lights working, identifying and fixing some oil leak(s), either reupholstering the front split bench seat or replacing it with buckets, and fixing anything else I find along the way.

Eventually I’d like to add 15" wheels/tires, upgrade to an 8 ¼” rear with limited slip and better gears, paint it, and move to EFI, but that’ll be down the road a ways.

As for me I’ve been doing my own maintenance and repairs on my cars, trucks, and motorcycles for years. I’ve been wanting an old car for a while now, but the last few years I’ve been fixing up the house and property I bought. Now that the homestead is under control, it’s time for something fun.
View attachment 1715005473 View attachment 1715005474 View attachment 1715005476
welcome from western pa.

Welcome from the northwestern part of the Keystone, nice looking Swinger ya got there.

Welcome and a big Howdy from west Texas. Nice lookin dart. Good start to a nice fun car.

An FYI, fix the leak causing the rusty trunk trouble first. My bet is the rear window at both lower corners causing the trouble.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure what happened is the roof had a few pin holes on the panel between the rear window and the trunk and that's where the water was coming in. I can see where fiberglass has been laid on that area; the entire roof is finished in black rattle can. I know that's not the right way to fix it but It'll be stored indoors and I won't be driving it in the rain, so I'll leave it for now. Btw, I saw a thread on here where people replicated the vinyl roof with textured paint and had some very nice results. I'll probably go that route when the time comes.

That sounds like a great idea for the roof. I had a 69 dart WSS that was B5 with a blue interior. Car was solid and rust free. I did some bodywork and repainted it same V5 blue. The white vinyl top was peeling really bad, i masked it off and sprayed it with white paint. Looked great and maintenance free. Really the way to go if you like the formal look of the vinyl top.

Hello everyone,

View attachment 1715005473 View attachment 1715005474 View attachment 1715005476
Sweet beaker bro!

-
Back