my headers cooked my starter!

-
Yes, there smaller, but the connections are up top and a slight bit foward with metric attching hardwares. (AKA Nuts) Theres a slight width increase I thinks. I have a few mini starters, not all of them a MoPar starter though they look the same.

On the OE starters, beileve it or not, theres a high temp 360 starter you should find for headers if the mini isn't used. Also, though I have not yet had a problem with headers and a mini starter, you can wrap the starter with header wrap and it'll be fine for a very long time.

Yes you can 8) I learned that they will even fit the /6 engines
Go to a salvage yard and pull one of a v8 or buy a new one :cheers:

JEEP FRESH AIR 1993 4.0 109.jpg

I ended up using a standard high temp and wrapping it with heat shield made by DEI. I had to unbolt the header and unbolt that end of the drag link to get it out of there and the new one in! What an ordeal! The new starter sounds much different than the old one, I was almost alarmed, I'm so used to that mopar sounding starter, this new one has an angry whine! and it spins it well cause this this barks to life right away!

Are there drawbacks to using the mini-starters?
I'd like to go to headers soon and was concerned about clearance on
my OEM starter.

The Nippondenso mini starters are better than the Chrysler units in every possible way: Lighter, stronger, faster, draw less current, longer-lived. They just don't sound right on an old Mopar, is their only problem. On the rare occasion they fail to crank, better than 99 times out of a hundred it's fixed by replacing the solenoid contacts, which is an easy benchtop job. You can use a starter from any '89-'01 RWD 3.9, 5.2, or 5.9 engine. The '01 stop year is because later starters do not have an enclosed nose cone that fits in the round recess in the bellhousing. Using an open-top (no nose cone) starter on an earlier application causes misalignment and early starter death. Do not buy a starter from a parts store, where your choices are "remanufactured" garbage or "100% new" (Chinese knockoff) garbage.

Sometimes the original hookup locations are inconvenient. There are multiple different connectors available, though, to solve that issue. See here for connection options.

See here for solenoid contact info.

Are there drawbacks to using the mini-starters?
I'd like to go to headers soon and was concerned about clearance on
my OEM starter.

The OEM starter will fit with headers but it won't live long so go with a mini-starter. I got a new one off Ebay for $65.

-
Back