My low compression 440 build

-

1968 Valiant

Reaction score
I am putting a 78 440 motorhome engine in my 68 Valiant more-door. I realize this is a low compression motor but I am doing this for fun and may build a nicer motor after she is together and running.

My question is will a 68 383 oil pickup and pan work on this motor. They are off a C-body.?

Second question is will the C -body exhaust manifolds work on the 78 440 and fit in my Valiant?

Thanks

The oil pan numbers are stamped on the bottom of the pan. The numbers you're lookin for are 187 or 699. Either of those will fit. The C Body driver's side hi po manifold will fit with a 1/16" angle cut so that it is angled in toward the engine at the outlet. Simple stuff at the machine shop. A standard B body passenger side manifold will fit if you remove the heat riser valve. It may fit anyway. Do you have a C body driver's side hi po manifold. I think I have a nice one sittin on the shelf I do not plan to use.

I don't believe the C body hi-po will fit. It's the B body that will bolt on but you need to trim the tube of the steering column flush to the firewall. The C body outlet is more straight out the side and shorter, so it dumps right on the steering shaft. The B outlet faces down and hangs past the shaft.

I don't believe the C body hi-po will fit. It's the B body that will bolt on but you need to trim the tube of the steering column flush to the firewall. The C body outlet is more straight out the side and shorter, so it dumps right on the steering shaft. The B outlet faces down and hangs past the shaft.

They sure do. Oldkimmer has done a few. He was the one who told me how to do it.

I am putting a 78 440 motorhome engine in my 68 Valiant more-door. I realize this is a low compression motor but I am doing this for fun and may build a nicer motor after she is together and running.

My question is will a 68 383 oil pickup and pan work on this motor. They are off a C-body.?

Second question is will the C -body exhaust manifolds work on the 78 440 and fit in my Valiant?

Thanks

an excellent engine canidate for a turbo/supercharger setup:smile: :thumleft:

Keep us posted on how everything turns out and what worked and what didn't.
I am gathering parts to do it to a 67 Dart more door.

Hmm. I cant see how it would work. I've used the C body 2bbl logs before too. But never the Hi Po one.

Hmm. I cant see how it would work. I've used the C body 2bbl logs before too. But never the Hi Po one.

Give oldkimmer a holler. He'll tell you how he did it. He said 1/16 angle mill to get the outlet closer to the engine and that was it.

I think I may buy some tri-y headers. I was hoping to save a buck and keep it quiet but I am not interested in chasing down mismatched old manifolds that would then need modification and still restrict my exhaust flow. I just thought if i could throw on the ones off my other motor I would just do that.

I am going to pick up my tranny tomorrow and I just found out it supposedly has a 73 440 atached to it out of a c- body car. Maybe that motor would be better that the 78 motorhome 440....both are supposed runners...

I have a driver's side hi po C body manifold collectin dust in the shop.

-
Back