my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
You have inspired me.
I am going to bring this thread back from the dead, picked up another project and the only engines I have to stick in it is a 318.
So I am going to build a teen, on the cheap, to use some of my parts collection up.
And then you can enter it in the "318 race" :poke:
I will finish tuning the "low dollar 318" this summer..... I have to because it has a new goal. The first goal was to run with a '73 340 Duster, but now it's in the 318 race and my dial index as it sits is 14.60.
2017 318 RACE !! .... please join the fun

That race sounds like fun, but I most likely will not even get the car running for a year or so, its just a roller now.

We see this question all the time ... "gotta a 318 2bbl in a Duster, Dart, etc.... wanna add some spunk and I have limited knowledge and less money".....

I'm going to do a 318 hop-up, not a rebuild. This can be done with the engine in the car.

Two things I ask from FABO friends that have knowledge:
1). thumbs up, fine! But NO opinions/suggestions on what you would do, not interested.
2). If you did it a different way, fine. Start your own thread, don't post it here! Many recipes makes a bad cake!

The Project:

My project is a '74 Duster, 904, 7 1/4 rear. The engine is a '76 318 2bbl I pulled from a Duster with 904 tranny. It has 120,*** miles on it, ran fine but smoked bad on start up due to bad valve seals. It is an untouched, greasy, gunky motor. Right now the '74 Duster has a slant. The installation is NOT the thread, just focusing on the hop-up that can be done in the car. I will post pictures, maybe a video, and the results from the dragway as time permits.

Well folks, as you know I had BAD off idle bog. I've pieced up an old 670 Holley street avenger, and have thrown some tweaking at the low dollar 318. Here is a video of me trying to take off now. I had to back off as I still had wheel spin at around 50 mph.... Here is a Poor quality video of me filming and driving a car with wheel spin... LOL

Wel then.That car just picks right up and flies doesn't it!

I am so glad it rained this morning and cancelled my outdoor activities. It gave me the time to read the account of this journey. Nice to see a "use what ya got" thread. Now if the darn streets would dry out, I'd go for a motorcicle ride. My Dart is due for some parts replacement. I think I'll begin with the sacked 45 year old leaf springs. I always liked 318s and 340s, never a big fan of the 360s, too heavy inside or something, I dunno. Thanks 318will for your excellant effort, numerous parts are saved for future reference. All about the fun Baybee!

Well, over the past 2-3 days I've read this whole thread! That's some impressive stuff you accomplished 318willrun! I've got a 75 Duster roller sitting around and a 72 318 and a 904 that I'm thinking about slapping together a cheap cheap, bare bones, drag car to maybe enter into the 318 race next year

Well, over the past 2-3 days I've read this whole thread! That's some impressive stuff you accomplished 318willrun! I've got a 75 Duster roller sitting around and a 72 318 and a 904 that I'm thinking about slapping together a cheap cheap, bare bones, drag car to maybe enter into the 318 race next year
Sounds good :) . I guess I didn't realize that I didn't post my last trip to the strip. With the bog gone, I got 14.95 at about 95 mph. Right at the goal E.T. wise, and about 2 mph faster than the goal mph wise.
dscn0872-jpg.jpg

318willrun, is that with street tires and still a 2.76 gears? That mph looks really good

318willrun, is that with street tires and still a 2.76 gears? That mph looks really good
yes. no changes other than selling the eddy and piecing together the 670 holley. What stands out to me is the car pulled over 20 mph the last 1/8. Most high 14 second cars don't do that.
  • Two things would change this car as far as horsepower and torque. One would be headers, and two would be pulling the heads off and cut them .040. But that would blow the 499.99 budget.. LOL. Remember, I'm using the much thicker head gaskets that came in the gasket kit. So I'm down on compression compared to even a factory 318.

Awe inspiring. I skimmed, will follow up on the videos and look closer at your parts list. Im thoroughly impressed.i picked up a 65 barracuda,have a 318 to go in and now have a pattern i can follow to make it chooch. I have no intention to 1/4 mile it, but i would like it to snort.
So my hat is off to you,sir and all your worthy supporters. An awesome read.

Thanks again.

Awe inspiring. I skimmed, will follow up on the videos and look closer at your parts list. Im thoroughly impressed.i picked up a 65 barracuda,have a 318 to go in and now have a pattern i can follow to make it chooch. I have no intention to 1/4 mile it, but i would like it to snort.

Thanks again.

Cam 4bbl and exhaust can get you pretty far add porting some gears shift kit and stall you have a decent street machine.

The way I look at it what hidden potential is in your heads (hp per cfm) which for a low cr street cammed engine is around 1.6-1.7 hp per cfm. Which limited by cam choice which is limited by stock cr which ain't a bad thing since you don't want to over cam a street car anyways.

Thanks again.
thanks for the kind words. You didn't mention what you had in mind to spend, but keep in mind, I did this for extreme budget builders with not much knowledge and even less money. So, if you have a little more wiggle room in your budget, this build could easily be exceeded. Nothing drastic, but a little more converter, gear, headers and cut heads and this wouldn't be the same car.

thanks for the kind words. You didn't mention what you had in mind to spend, but keep in mind, I did this for extreme budget builders with not much knowledge and even less money. So, if you have a little more wiggle room in your budget, this build could easily be exceeded. Nothing drastic, but a little more converter, gear, headers and cut heads and this wouldn't be the same car.
What do you think doing "all that" extra stuff to it would do for the teener? Think it could get into the 13s?

Well you should do part 2 what another $500 will get ya
500 in the car, or engine?
  • If the car was set up better, the engine has 13 second potential as it is. I'm talking a good converter, headers, and 3.55 gears.
  • If the engine, well, lots of potential there too :)
    What do you think doing "all that" extra stuff to it would do for the teener? Think it could get into the 13s?
    easy... as stated above, just setting up the car better I could get 13's without touching the engine.

500 in the car, or engine?
  • If the car was set up better, the engine has 13 second potential as it is. I'm talking a good converter, headers, and 3.55 gears.
  • If the engine, well, lots of potential there too :)

easy... as stated above, just setting up the car better I could get 13's without touching the engine.
I'm definitely gonna have to get my 318 on a stand this fall/winter and see what I can do to it!

Your money your choice

What would you think give you the best bang for the buck for the next mod, gears or stall or exhaust or something else ??

I'm working on a 360 that is going in my Duster that I had for 12 years now. This winter all my time went into bodywork and interior work. I did have some time to start porting the 360 heads. 318willruns videos and encouragement gave me the courage to do it myself. After reading all the posts in this thread again I am totally anxious to get started on that 360 again the coming winter! Great work 318willrun, and thanks for this thread! With a stock converter and 2.76 I'm totally impressed how much rubber it lays down! Here's a pic on my porting and my Duster. I still have some polishing and evening out to do.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_474f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4833.jpg

Beautiful Duster, Trebor!
Must be turning some heads up there...
Thank you. There are actually a lot of mopars here in Sweden and they are usually in great shape, having been restored either by their owners in Sweden or in the US. I always felt I played in the small league, but hey, I like that league :) At least I did it all myself! I'm happy and proud of my "not so much matching numbers" Duster.

-
Back