my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
Great read. Cant wait to see how it turns out. Like to see how this would work on a 360.

Great read. Cant wait to see how it turns out. Like to see how this would work on a 360.
All LA small blocks would love the head work..... 273 - 360's. Even if one was to stick with the stock cams, just the head work, along with dual exhaust and a crisp 4bbl will have all these small blocks really responding well. The cam, though, really helps the heads and 4bbl with the breathing. I'm not using headers, but they would be a nice compliment to this set up.

The main thing is to have matching components, that match the intended use of the car.

Im thinking of doing this with a set of 360 heads i have after reading this. I was going to buy new of get a set of aluminum heads but im just trying to make a good driver not a race car.

Lol....I doubt it.....I have a bad case of "while I'm at it ". ...
I'm going to rebuild the front suspension while the engine is out. ...I'm replacing all the wiring too...
and my budget is trickling in at a snail's pace!

Jeff

I meant that he would finish first, timewise.... :clock:

But he has the "while I'm at it" kicking in... #-o

Well, honestly, I'm cheering for Jeff. I want him to succeed and be happy with his project. Besides, he should run a better time than me, or he has something not right. He has a lot of gear on me (2.76? vs. 3.55) and headers, and the headers are a big advantage with ported heads and mild cams.
But, I've had great success running pound dogs against greyhounds..... :poke:

Im rooting for ya 318willrun.Your trying to rollerskate uphill,but Im on your side...

Ok, so you got me started on my heads. They are late 70's "U" heads, with 1.88 and 1.60 valves.

Following your lead, here's a few pics. I have the first head almost done, working on the last intake, then still have the other head to go.

You'll see from the pics that my exhaust seats have had the hardened valve seats installed, but there's still quite a lip to be removed below the seat.

Here is before and after on the first bowl.

View attachment IMG_20160319_120436035.jpg

View attachment IMG_20160319_133718251.jpg

MileHighDart, you did an extremely good job on those!!! Very impressed if that is your 1st set of heads to home-port.

So is this thing runnin yet?
Ok, I'm going to put a lot of other things on hold (believe me, much), and get back to work on the 318..... :) I do have to work with the weather on the car as I'm tearing down a huge, elevated deck so I can build a small shop (its on a budget too... lol). My job is 11 hours a day.... but I'm excited to get back to the 318 and get it going myself !!!!!

So you mean no? It's not running yet? I am SO not impressed. lol

Thanks guys, I'm just going slow and being real careful to stay away from the seats, don't want to nick one. This is my first attempt at home porting, hopefully this, and a new cam, etc, etc will help wake up my sleepy teen.

You can find a used intake for under a $100.00 on eBay,carb Holley of AFB for under a $100.00 but may need to kit it. Summit cam kit for $89.00. Forget headers for now as 3.90-4.11 gears will get it off the line and be fun to drive. Burnouts at will.

I bought (and received) the full gasket kit you mentioned in an earlier post. The are a few items in there that I don't recognize at all!

Anyway, I'm getting ready to gasket match my intake to the intake side of the heads.....

Any tips and tricks before I start?????

Jeff

-
Back