My new 1973 BB Duster, how did I do?

-

daniel_depetro

Reaction score
My father came over to my to tell me about a BB Duster car he found on eBay. He highly encouraged me to check it out because it’s something that I would be interested in owning. I looked it up and found quickly. I really liked what I saw and the fact that it is only 10 hours away made it all the more appetizing. The guy added his phone number to the listing so I call him up as I see a few flaws that I can pick apart which will hopefully give me some wiggle room on the price (and hopefully show that I am fairly knowledgeable about these cars). The guy was extremely pleasant to talk with and I asked if I bought/paid for the car if it could sit for a few months in case I couldn't make it down there to pick it up right away. He said that wouldn't be a problem. I said I'll think about it and consider bidding.
Yesterday morning I looked at the auction when I woke up and he added a $3,500.00 ‘buy it now’ price to it. Dang, that’s more than I wanted to pay. My dad is kind of prodding me saying "you wanted one, don't let that one get away. A rust free shell and those parts alone are worth that kind of money". This was shocking to me as he is the tightest person I kno. Truth be told he was right and you certainly couldn't buy the parts to put this car together for that kind of money. Still debating if I really wanted another car lying around I kept watching the auction every hour or so. Last night I noticed he added a "best offer" option so I'm staring at my computer monitor with a big dumb smile on my face like I was 8 years old and my best friend just dared me to do something.
UGH! Musssssttt resssiissst temmmppptaaaatiiooon... and I did!
I decided to sleep on it instead of making an immediate purchase. My son goes to school about three blocks from my fathers repair shop so after I drop him off in the mornings I stop in at my dads shop for the usual B.S. session. As soon as I walked in the door he started: “Buy that duster yet?”, “When are you going to get it?”, and “Did you notice he lowered the ‘buy it now’ to $3,000.00?”. I have no shortage of projects right now, but I dislike passing up good deals. My dad reassured me that as long as it’s what the seller says it is even he thought the car was well worth it. The auction still had 5 days to go still, Grrrrrr!
I called the seller again and asked every question in the book and I could think of so there wasn’t any surprises upon pick-up. He gave what seemed to be honest answers and really knew what he was talking about. We spent about 2 hours on the phone talking specifically about the car. I told him I'd think it over some more and I will more than likely bid. Just before hanging up I asked what his bottom dollar on the car would be (even though it ticks me off when people ask me that). He said because I was really interested in the car, he would sell it to me for $2,500.00. I told him thanks and I'll be in touch. My dad was like “you're crazy, someone else is going to buy that thing, and then you'll be whining because you didn't”.
I stewed on it for the rest of the morning and over lunch. It was time to pull the trigger so I called him back after lunch, around 1:30.
I offered him $2,000.00 cash and told him I could be there tomorrow to pick it up. He said he'd go $2,200.00 and I’d just agreed rather than lose the car haggling over $100-200.00. I told him I’d rather wait to pick it up on Saturday as long as that was cool with him.
Instead of ending his auction as~is he told me to send an official “Best Offer” through eBay and he'd accept it (even though it would cost him a couple more dollars; probably to make sure I wasn't just a tire kicker, I don’t blame him for that though).

The car is a 1973 Plymouth Duster originally from South Carolina. It’s a rust free car and was originally a 225 slant six with a T/F-904 and a small 7-1/4” rear. It also has standard non-power 4-wheel drum brakes. The good news is that it only has 26,000 actual original miles on it and the clean/clear title is from the original owner (signed off of course; current owner never registered the car). The only thing MIA from original is the entire A/C system, which kind of sucks, but I don’t think this car will be much of a cruiser anyways. If it turns out to be one, it can be swapped in from a parts car easily enough. Everything else is still functional on the car (windshield wipers; though the wiper arms are removed, but included; horn; lights; blinkers; …). The current owner removed the original slant six engine / transmission and installed a late 70’s 440 engine and T/F-727 3-speed auto transmission. He used the car for shifts ’n grins drag racing from time to time. He said the car (with the late ‘70s cast crank / low compression 440) would run an easy 13.4x E.T. spinning pretty good off the line. Unfortunately last summer (I think when he said?) he blew the 440 up. He painted the car in the fall of 2008 (while the engine was out). Then he installed the current 62,*** mile 1974(he thought?) steel crank 440 that he pulled from a nice running Winnebago motorhome. He said he ran the engine for awhile before pulling it from the motorhome and it ran great! He swapped the stock motor home heads for rebuilt ‘906’ casting units that he had on the other engine. He also removed the water pump because motorhomes use an oddball piece, so the one off the previous 440 was to be reused. As you can see in the photos he never did get the water pump installed. The 440 also has a Holley 750 vacuum secondary carburetor, nearly new Hooker Super Competition series fenderwell exit headers, and an 8-quart oil pan. He also swapped the rear end for a Mopar 8-3/4” unit with 3.23:1 gears (no sure-grip; one wheel wonder). I asked if it was an A-body rear and he didn’t know. He did say it measured the same width as the small rear end he pulled out of there. The front seat has been recovered (headrests were not re-installed) and the rest of the interior looks pretty good. The dash pad will need replaced eventually though. He got the car to the point it is at now and lost the building he had his projects in so he was selling some of them off.
She surely isn’t the prettiest thing around, however the seller swears up and down that the body has its original panels and none of them has ever had any cancer. He also says that all of the wiring is intact and there isn’t any cuts or splices anywhere. To me it just shows that even though this guy may not have done show quality work at least he wasn’t a total hack. It’s too bad he cut those inner fenders for those headers.

This will be one fun street machine, especially with a 4-speed and a set of 3.91 or 4.10 rear gears!
I was thinking just apply some black side stripes, maybe paint the hood black, install some nice wheels & tires, and sprinkle more go fast parts under the hood and call it good (for now).

bpj98hbgkkgrhgohd8ejlll.jpg

7fe51.jpg

858d1.jpg

8d2f1.jpg

82aa1.jpg

87b91.jpg

bpjpzqbmkkgrhgohcwejlll.jpg

8a401.jpg

I'll report back when I have had time to give it the full looking over in person. I don't feel the seller has stretched the truth on anything, but we'll see.

I realize it’s my car now and nobody else opinions matter but it’s nice to hear them anyways
I think I did pretty well, what do you guys think?

Same here!! good deal and the gold int is a big plus
Tell your dad I said good going :cheers:

nice buy right there thats why i bought my 76 was to do a bb swap and it even a sweet gold interior just like mine

You got screwed! Just drop it off in my driveway on your way back home. I might even give you a bit of cash for your trouble! :toothy7:

That's nice and a lot of car for the money. Good story too. My Dad's also tight but now that he's older he'll egg me on to buy...

After my looking for a long time , I think I can say you get a heckuva steal dude.

10 hours away? Where did you pick it up from? HELL OF A DEAL! I personally would like to see pictures of your collection...

10 hours away? Where did you pick it up from?

Indianapolis, IN.

It sucks being so far up north in the "corner". Especially with the sparce population of the U.P.
Great in the summer, way too long of winters, and way too far away from anything good!
Green Bay, WI = 3 hours south of here
Chicago, Ill = 6 hours south of here
Detroit, MI = 7 hours south of here

I personally would like to see pictures of your collection...
I think I have photos of most of my cars online somewhere (and even some of my dads).
My cars are nothing to look at but I love sharing photos and stories!

i saw that car a few days ago and was thinking damn either the economy is really that bad, or people really cant see potential. i thought the car looked like a good deal. even if you end up building the drivetrain, you dont have to source all of your parts, just freshen them up. its all there already. there are a lot of decent buys out there right now.

Great score!! Can't beat that price! My only complaint - I HATE fenderwell headers. They ruin the look of an engine compartment to me.

Indianapolis, IN.

It sucks being so far up north in the "corner". Especially with the sparce population of the U.P.
Great in the summer, way too long of winters, and way too far away from anything good!
Green Bay, WI = 3 hours south of here
Chicago, Ill = 6 hours south of here
Detroit, MI = 7 hours south of here

I think I have photos of most of my cars online somewhere (and even some of my dads).
My cars are nothing to look at but I love sharing photos and stories!

3 hours from Green Bay isn't too bad - Lambeau is a great place for a game and I'd much rather be closer to Chicago than Detroit. Winter's are long here and summers get too crowded (could be different this year, depending on the economy). I'll have to search for you collection. Ever looking to part with a Dart Sport, let me know...

I might, my 1974 is 100% rust free, but I am not sure I wanna give it up just yet. It needs to be redone, but you won't find one more solid. I bought it back in 2006 for $177.50 on eBay!!! 8)
It's far from perfect though.
It was originally a V8, auto, fold down rear seat, A/C, dual chrome sport mirror, black side/roof stripe, deluxe interior, power disk brake car.
I have an extra set of almost perfectly striaght and 100% rust free fenders (with nice marker lights and turn signals) & header panel for it $225.00 for all 3 pieces, a very MINT dash with the woodgrain panels (came in 4-door parts car that I paid $150.00 for), NOS parchment & woodgrain door panels (and rear panels; bought on ebay for $150.00), pair of MINT chrome sport mirrors ($100.00), and a ton of other stuff for the car. All of which I got for next to nothing or had from pulling off parts cars. I have everything for the car, but most of it is in boxes put away.
I was building (more like adding to) a "re-man" 400 long block that came and had more than most long blocks that I was going to use for the car. It got here and it had a forged crank in it!!! I paid $500.00 SHIPPED for the engine from a shop that was liquidating inventory on eBay. Heck just having a set of heads comepletely done would almost cost that much. I have everything to put it together with the big block or small block and 4-speed or automatic. It was just going to be my $3,500.00 very nice cruiser just to spite everyone that says it costs a lot of money to swap a slant 6 or small block car to a BB car or that say you can't build a nice rust free Mopar hot rod reasonable anymore, even if it is a late model A-body.
Last spring I bought an 8-3/4" rear end with 3.91" sure-grip, a lakewood blowproof belhousing, a BB A-body transmission (VIN # BH29H9... would trade it to the owner of car for another 4-speed of same value), and a complete A console shifter/handle for $500.00!
The wheels are Centerlines and the rear are 15 x 10" with 4-7/8" backspace. I just bought the pair on eBay for only $100 + 40.00 shipping. They were brand new in the unopened boxes with caps! I use a 3/4" offset shackle kit for them to clear the springs. The spring are custom units I had built and have 6-1/2 leafs per side. The rear tires are new Dayton something or other 295/50R-15. I bought them mounted on a set of American Racing truck type wheels and dismounted them and sold the ugle wheels to pay for the combo. The front are 15 x 3.5" Centerlines and have brand new Nankang 145/80R-15 tires on them. the scoop I bought a while back and the wing was a brand new eBay unit I paid $119.00 shipped for.
As you can see I am well under my budget so far, but would still have to buy under chassis BB A-body headers, and a clutch. I also have a floor shift coulmn for the car.

It's so clean I hate to sell because finding another one to replace would be very difficult, especially in my price range.
The car was complete when I got it, but the engine was missing the intake manifold and valve covers. I pulled it and tossed it as this was my BB project.
I prefer the 1973-74 Dusters to the Dart Sports though.

if I did sell it I would probably just sell it without all the flair parts (scoop, spoiler, wheels/tires, drivetrain...)

I was just going to clean up/blast the body knock the dents out and get a nice color on it and use it how a muscle car is suppose to be used.

We'll see what happens.

project2e.jpg

fronth.jpg

dsc01220nc8.jpg

p1020897ky3.jpg

I think you got a hell of a deal I just have one question though. I will admit right now I may be wrong but I have never seen a motor home 440 with the strange water pump setup. All the big block motor home motors with the strange water pump setup I have ever seen were the 413 industrial motors. They had that humongous water pump setup and weird heads but since he already changed the heads That won't be an issue. I don't know for sure and I really don't want to talk the car down at all its still an awesome car I just wanted to say something so you could check when you go to get it as the 413's are difficult to get pistons for so if it is a 413 you may be able to get him to give you some money back. Again I may be totally wrong but I just wanted to mention it. Still a great buy Justin

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll be sure to check that out.
Thats weird that they would use and odd water pump on one RB BB, but not on all?

It looks like I am not going to end up with the car afterall.
cry.gif

I am the winning bidder on eBay, however At around 5:30pm today I received an e-mail saying he is not going to sell me the car.
pullhair.gif

I can only assume someone bought it out from under me.
arge.gif

Since then he won't answer his phone, return my calls, or e-mails. What an @ssclown.
5121863-13.gif

Too bad all I can do on my end is leave him negative feedback (and a negative response to my negative feedback).
I wish people would stick to the binding agreement
evil5.gif

The crappy part is I already had paid for most of the trip and did a lot of work getting ready and making short notice arrangements for this trip.
I was suppose to leave tomorrow @ 5:00am !!!!

It cost me money, and I didn't even do anything / go anywhere!!!
angryfire.gif

If one of you guys are the new owner congrats & well played! Looks like you got a sweet car.
Be sure to post up photos and progress of it.

That sucks!

You should email ebay and complain....not sure if you can file a claim for money you lost under the buyer protection plan maybe?

Apparently that wasn't his only retaliation!

Today I got an e-mail from eBay stating that the seller has filed a complaint against me for non-payment!
icon_eek.gif

I type this 30 minute response and post it and as soon as I do he closes the 'dispute' and he gets refunded for his auction fees and I get a non-paying bidder strike!!
What the ****?
arge.gif

Then I had to re-type the entire damn situation again to the appeals commitee.

In the end guess he does win.
icon_thumbdown.gif

Burns me up knowing he even got his auction fee refunded back!!!
baseballbat.gif

God I'm sooooooo glad he didn't get a dime of my money!

I HATE EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M DONE WITH EBAY!!!!!!!! That has happened to me. I just hate ebay. I'm not giving them a cent of my money ever again.

-
Back