My next build, stroke a 273?

-

jimbo

Reaction score
I have 3 smallblocks in the yard, a standard bore 360, a .060 360 with a bad main cap, and a standard bore '65 273. Has anyone ever STROKED a 273? I have heard of guys putting a 360 crank in a 318 and vicey-vercie. Sounds like an interesting prospect. If only I could find a machinist (on meth) to grind it for me. Or is that just alot of scrap?

While it would gain some pulling power, then it has such a small bore the valves are shrouded and the flow is on the low side. A 273 seems to do better as a high RPM motor rather than a low end torque monster once it is setup properly.

Yep do the 360, you will have a nother 100 ponies right out of the box with the added cubes!

While it would gain some pulling power, then it has such a small bore the valves are shrouded and the flow is on the low side. A 273 seems to do better as a high RPM motor rather than a low end torque monster once it is setup properly.

Yep do the 360, you will have a nother 100 ponies right out of the box with the added cubes!

I had a 273 and tried 3 different cams and even with it bored .060 over it still does not take much to over cam it. I thought about stroking it but saved a ton of money by getting a 360. It could be however but by the time you got done you could have a fire breathing 360.

Well, if you decide to stroke the 273 with the 360 crank, the biggest problem is the custom piston price.

-
Back