My official '84 Rampage resto thread!

-

hemizach

Young Blood
Reaction score
Well my friends, I think it's time. Many of you know I'm the kid on the forum with the '84 rampage, and many people are actually interesting in these little trucks, so I figured why not start a resto thread!

A little history:

My godparents once owned an 82-83 rampage (a red one) years ago. They ran that thing around town until one day some chick ran a red light. Well, the red truck was totalled and they then bought the silver one. My godfather sanded it down and was going to send it out for a quick spray down with some new paint just so they could drive it, but that's as far as he got. Before it ever got painted, my godfather got sick. Eventually he passed in may of 2006, right before I graduated from 8th grade. The 84 sat for two more years. My godmother tried to sell it but nobody was interested. Finally, I decided that I wanted this little oddball truck and take on the challenge of building it into something cool and unique. Finally, now that I am out of high school and working for a living... I can get into building this cool little ride.

I consider myself and my little truck the "Misfit Toy of the Mopar people".

Enough with the chit-chat though... I have some pics to share.

Today I drove 600 miles round trip to pick up an engine from an 83.5 shelby charger. I also came back with the shelby charger nose, fender extensions, and side ground effects. I also have an A525 5-speed to drop in and the k member to go with it.

Plans:

Hot carbed 2.2 L4...

Dual weber side-draft carbs
Roller cam from a later model engine
Ported head along with a valve job
Ported exhaust manifold (maybe a custom tubular manifold)
2.25 inch exhaust
More that I am forgetting.

I refuse to give you guys any more details... to find out what I am going to do just check for updates. Here are some pics to start everything out!!!

Junk parts in a junk truck I suppose :-D

47092_1520549367848_1057978039_31487616_2035046_n.jpg

46294_1520548247820_1057978039_31487609_2035572_n.jpg

47318_1520547607804_1057978039_31487606_5626041_n.jpg

47745_1520546967788_1057978039_31487604_5437583_n.jpg

When I got home today from Van Wert the temptation of the side skirts i bought was just too much. I set one in place and shut the door just to get a taste of what they will look like. As you can see they are a little too short for the Rampage as the Chargers were just a tad different. I bought two sets and will have to mold them together to make them work. Should be a fun time!!

47845_1520544687731_1057978039_31487602_3581981_n.jpg

they are cool little trucks i have one it was brand new when i bought it just one little thing wrong with it. It was a test crash car for dodge it had 8 miles on it. well now it is tube chassis 340/904/8 3/4 runs 5.90s 9.80s. were in pa are you. Kevin

I reconize you from TD.com!
I have a 86 GLH T1 and love these little FWD Mopars.:cheers:
Its been my most reliable daily driver since 2004.Good luck on your Rampage!Your godfather will be proud =)

they are cool little trucks i have one it was brand new when i bought it just one little thing wrong with it. It was a test crash car for dodge it had 8 miles on it. well now it is tube chassis 340/904/8 3/4 runs 5.90s 9.80s. were in pa are you. Kevin

That's awesome! I'm in Erie, PA... right there by the lake.

I reconize you from TD.com!
I have a 86 GLH T1 and love these little FWD Mopars.:cheers:
Its been my most reliable daily driver since 2004.Good luck on your Rampage!

It really is a small world isnt it? The sad part is that i think the guys here are more interested than they would be on TDs site... which is why my FABO family gets a resto thread and they don't, haha.

I like 'em and the production #'s are low! There is a nice one running around town here.

Cant wait to see what you have in store for it!

My godfather sanded it down and was going to send it out for a quick spray down with some new paint just so they could drive it, but that's as far as he got. Before it ever got painted, my godfather got sick. Eventually he passed in may of 2006, right before I graduated from 8th grade. The 84 sat for two more years. My godmother tried to sell it but nobody was interested. Finally, I decided that I wanted this little oddball truck and take on the challenge of building it into something cool and unique. Finally, now that I am out of high school and working for a living...

I consider myself and my little truck the "Misfit Toy of the Mopar people".

Way to go Zach, through that little truck your godfather will give you and your family lots of good times. But I can tell you already know this.

RICER!!!!!! :poke:

Just kidding, Zach. Those are awesome little trucks that you don't see anymore. The webbers will look killer, but I remember when Direct Connection used to have a blower kit for those engines. A turbo motor would be cool too. I'm diggin' the Shelby parts. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Keep the pics flowing.

Wylde1.

Hey Zach I am new to some of thees sites. I have 340 parts for sale and posting were i can so what is this TD.COM site
Thanks Kevin and keep up the work they did not have sites like this or the internet when I build mine will be looking for updates

Hey Zach I am new to some of thees sites. I have 340 parts for sale and posting were i can so what is this TD.COM site
Thanks Kevin and keep up the work they did not have sites like this or the internet when I build mine will be looking for updates

turbododge.com is a forum specifically for 80s chrysler products... mostly the shelbys and turbo warriors of the decade... but there is a section for carbed cars as well :toothy10:

RICER!!!!!!:poke:

Just kidding, Zach. Those are awesome little trucks that you don't see anymore. The webbers will look killer, but I remember when Direct Connection used to have a blower kit for those engines. A turbo motor would be cool too. I'm diggin' the Shelby parts. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Keep the pics flowing.

Wylde1.

Those DC superchargers are hard to find nowadays... and if you do find them they cost an arm and a leg, haha.

I am not necessarily trying to build mine to be the fastest... but I would like it to be quick. More importantly I am going for that "cool factor". I think the webers, and my idea for paint/graphics (dont worry, factory graphics of some sort but I won't tell you which ones) should really make this thing unique.

PLUS, I know a guy that is willing to give me a kit for a motorized antenna. Bet I will be the only rampage owner with that mod done to their truck! I think I might french the rear marker lights too. :toothy10:

was wondering about your cam choice,stocker? You could have its base circle ground down for more lift. just a thought.

was wondering about your cam choice,stocker? You could have its base circle ground down for more lift. just a thought.

Going to go with a regrind roller setup with high rpm lifters :cheers: Wheeeeee

I am so glad to see this thread started Zach :cheers: That front nose and all the goodies going in and on it will be a cool build to be very proud of =P~
Keep us updated :cheers::cheers::cheers:

My brother-in-law had one in the 80s except it was made by Plymouth and had scamp graphics on the side, never saw another like it.

My brother-in-law had one in the 80s except it was made by Plymouth and had scamp graphics on the side, never saw another like it.

Yes, I know the scamp was a one year thing and I believe it was 1983... I do not think they were built in 84. Anyway, there weren't many built... those scamps are even more rare than the rampages! :cheers:

Think I am going to start tearing down the engine I bought last week, tomorrow.

-
Back