My oil burning pig. Pics too!

-
Oh yeah, I got updates.... 1. the cnc porting broke thru the valve cover screw holes. Knew that the day I got 'em, was told to put a little silicone on.....no big deal.

At the local head shop he found even when sealed with silicone, Loctite thread sealer,,,,,they were still pulling oil like crazy

I bet this is where mine is sucking oil I will give it a look .

. And there was intake crossover mix up between the ports also. This explained the off idle miss

could you explain this further please .

I am glad you found your problem .

Not sure which thing you want me to explain, the sucking oil or the intake port crossover thing?

Gotcha. Well, the porting enlarges the intake ports so big that on the inside top corner, it breaks into the drilled, tapped hole you screw your valve covers onto. Problem is, the valve cover bolt doesn't go that far down and even if it did, it would probably still leak.

On my heads there was basically a "hole" between ports.....if this makes any sense to 'ya.
Once everything was all buttoned up and running, not only was I sucking oil and oil vapors from the screwhole into the ports, I was also sucking air from port #3 when on the #1 intake stroke and so on......sort of 8 little vacuum leaks I guess. 1&3 5&7 2&4 6&8 were communicating to put it bluntly.

All is well now with the heads. My guy even flowed them for me and they flow very close to the advertised numbers. The velocity on "the short turn" was also pretty good. "not great" but pretty good.

Sounds like it would stick out like a sore thumb, but really, it was easy to miss.

I know it wasn't the rings. I am running gapless top rings in my DD and have been using them since they first came out.

I have also tested them for blowby on the dyno and they reduce blowby a significant amount IF THE BORES ARE FINISHED CORRECTLY. No ring will seal on a junk bore.

I also use a PCV system on my street cars. ALWAYS. They work at idle and cruise. The I run pan evacs over the PCV. When you are at WOT the pan evacs do the work.

Jenkins was doing this years ago. It worked then, and it still works now.

Glad you have it sorted out.

well I had the same oil burning problem and the same oil collecting on the intake valve been chaseing it for some time now finally found my problem . it was sucking oil around the brass pushrod tubes 7 of 8 were sucking oil .

well I had the same oil burning problem and the same oil collecting on the intake valve been chaseing it for some time now finally found my problem . it was sucking oil around the brass pushrod tubes 7 of 8 were sucking oil .

Brass pushrod tubes? Did you port out past the pushrod tunnel?

One of the reasons I love old threads!
I just test ran my first engine (see other thread), and noticed what I thought a huge amount of oil puddled on top of the intake valves after yanking the carburetor off. Same deal, porting broke through the valve cover screw holes - I will epoxy studs in - hopefully that will be the "fix"....

-
Back