1974 dart sport
Reaction score
Man these darts/dusters
Have a ton of front weight
Kinda disappointed
Really want more off the front

Do I need to try and get everything evened out , seems to so straight

4D5518F8-1472-4CCB-989B-61B4E92326C7.jpeg

Yep. That is what drove me to a fiberglass front end. Everyone always says put the battery in the back! Hah! If you race that is likely already done, but it is not near enough!
This with a glass bumper glass bolt on hood
Light weight brakes etc…qa1 k-member
Coil overs
Still have the oem gear box

6403096A-DC87-478E-B1A3-8A0E25CD3A73.jpeg
With you in it? I’d sell my soul for this with me in it!

I’m thinking mine was 1720# on the front with a glass bumper and bolt on glass hood, before the R1 block. I’ve since moved the battery to the trunk (made zero difference on the time slip), but I’d bet it’s 1760# or so now. It was 3292# with me in it and no exhaust at Bowling Green last year.

I’m thinking mine was 1720# on the front with a glass bumper and bolt on glass hood, before the R1 block. I’ve since moved the battery to the trunk (made zero difference on the time slip), but I’d bet it’s 1760# or so now. It was 3292# with me in it and no exhaust at Bowling Green last year.
Only thing left for me to do is
A light K-member and a rack

Only thing left for me to do is
A light K-member and a rack

Mine is a street/strip deal with full interior, heater,radio,vents, factory style carpet and factory glass. It does have Kirkey seats and a six point ms bar. It’s too good a car to cut up, and at 61 I’m not sure I’m ready to tackle that.

Really thinking of selling the Dart and finding a nice early 80’s swb truck with a/c to put a 6.4 Hemi in for a driver. Maybe a turbo too. LOL

Mine is a street/strip deal with full interior, heater,radio,vents, factory style carpet and factory glass. It does have Kirkey seats and a six point ms bar. It’s too good a car to cut up, and at 61 I’m not sure I’m ready to tackle that.

Really thinking of selling the Dart and finding a nice early 80’s swb truck with a/c to put a 6.4 Hemi in for a driver. Maybe a turbo too. LOL

There is nothing wrong with your end weights. You can spend a ton of money trying to get 50/50 and all it will do is make you change your suspension settings.

There is nothing wrong with your end weights. You can spend a ton of money trying to get 50/50 and all it will do is make you change your suspension settings.
I’m beginning to understand that
But the learning curve is expensive

I’m still on the hunt to become a competitive
Index racer ,
And always looking at everything

You can add weight {ballast } in the rear to even the front to rear weight out, if it is your goal to get to 50/50 or closer than you are at this point. Otherwise get out the sawzall and get creative .

You can add weight {ballast } in the rear to even the front to rear weight out, if it is your goal to get to 50/50 or closer than you are at this point. Otherwise get out the sawzall and get creative .

That is certainly the cheapest way to do it. Especially if you are not trying to get to a class minimum weight or something like that.

Not only is it cheap, but it can be easily undone. That’s a bonus.

I’ve seen cars with traction issues where the owner didn’t want to spend money on chassis upgrades add 100 or so pounds in the trunk and it went quicker. IMO not because the weight bias was better, but because the car started to hook.

I remember reading where Monte Smith (may he R.I.P.) said that his real fast nitrous racers were adding weight to the front , to keep the front end down. He said 55% on the front was common nad he had seen as high as 58-60% . But that was for some really serious high horsepower cars that were lifting the front end at half track when full turbo boost or the third nitrous stage came in.
Frankly, I would not be shocked to find that my current car is 58+%. Unfortunately it is NOT a high horsepower car, lol.

I remember reading where Monte Smith (may he R.I.P.) said that his real fast nitrous racers were adding weight to the front , to keep the front end down. He said 55% on the front was common nad he had seen as high as 58-60% . But that was for some really serious high horsepower cars that were lifting the front end at half track when full turbo boost or the third nitrous stage came in.
Frankly, I would not be shocked to find that my current car is 58+%. Unfortunately it is NOT a high horsepower car, lol.

Yep. As power goes up, the end weights become more critical the other way. There is a reason why Pro Stock has a minimum weight on the rear axle. They want more front weight if they could get it. NHRA said nope.

Yea I get it but I’m only running a 7.0 index
With a .400ths pro tree
So I’m looking for reaction

I’m sorry what engine is in it and what transmission? I picked up significantly going to 904 with a low gear set /aluminum shaft and a 200 rpm increase in flash from a 727. I was getting my clock cleaned in the first 100’ by cars that I would then attempt to run down. I would 60’ them, they would go by and I would chase them. Now they have to chase and hope their extra 2-3 mph can get it done. If its a small block/727, I would really look into the swap for a 7.0 index.

I’m sorry what engine is in it and what transmission? I picked up significantly going to 904 with a low gear set /aluminum shaft and a 200 rpm increase in flash from a 727. I was getting my clock cleaned in the first 100’ by cars that I would then attempt to run down. I would 60’ them, they would go by and I would chase them. Now they have to chase and hope their extra 2-3 mph can get it done. If its a small block/727, I would really look into the swap for a 7.0 index.

Indy headed, R1 block, 434" small block with a 727. It's been 6.25 @ 110 and 10.00 @ almost 135 on pump 93.

I'm not a racer but........

If it hooks it doesn't matter the weight distro
What year? Do you still have the 73/ later "picnic table" bumpers and impact absorbers?
What is the "stance?" Just having the front low/ rear high adds some to the front bias

Mine is an E Body street/strip car comes in at 3760 all steel and glass windows in full race weight, both bottles and me in the car. I was able to get it pretty well balanced and happy with the 54% on the nose to help keep the front end down.

IMG_11881.jpg

IMG_11861.jpg

-
Back