MY Rant, GM Batteries

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, GM battery terminals.

Why did they ever do that stupidness???? why, why, why?

I hate those things. My son has a 79 Monte, that being a GM, its a nice body style, and it has a V6 so its easy to work on, so i put up with it, even though the car hates me.

He left his lights on, battery dead, he has to go to work, OH No Sweat, I say, with out thinking. I will just put the Scamp's battery in.

DOH, a wait, I cant. I cant put the boats battery in it either, cause its a friggen GM side Post, ARRGRGGGG

WHY OH WHY did they ever do that.

When did they actually go to that style?

I am friggen go to the parts store and buying to regular cables and a new battery and replacing that garbage.

MY RANT

GM's idea to revolutionize the industry that went over like a lead balloon, yet again. (Like the clutch head screws back in the '50s.) Actually, if you take a look at a lot of more modern GMs it does allow for a little more room in the engine compartment. Would rather deal with a GM side post under the hood than a battery mounted in the fender well, ala Chrysler with the Intrepid or Sebring. Hell, I'd rather pull the backseat out of an old MG to get to the battery than have to pull the friggin' tire... That being said, you're right, it does make interchangability and jump starting/charging a hassle, with the posts tucked in under bracing and the old style jumper clamps too big to get in there.

I just changed the battery out on my Mom's Regal. What a nightmare. First had to pull the fender brace, then pull the airbox, then the washer bottle just to see the top of the battery. Then another brace and finally the hold down. The positive terminal was caked up with corrosion so out came the baking soda and water. Then back together. Got to love it!!

The side posts were meant to prevent use of jumper cables. Crossed connections or spikes could kill the onboard computers.
It really is a safer design on the asemebly line and in the service bay.
The top posts only need a link to cause an explosion.
Funny thing is if the side posts were born first and the next guy came along with top posts, most would say, "thats carzy"

The side posts were meant to prevent use of jumper cables. Crossed connections or spikes could kill the onboard computers.
It really is a safer design on the asemebly line and in the service bay.
The top posts only need a link to cause an explosion.
Funny thing is if the side posts were born first and the next guy came along with top posts, most would say, "thats carzy"

That is true...

GM side posts have less surface contact area. Typical cable end only has 4 contact spots, three little anti-spin tabs and the bolt. The lead around the anti-spin tabs gets wallowed out and causes the cable to get loose, you try to tighten it down so the cable has a good connection and the nut that's imbedded in the battery will pull out, or just spin making the battery junk.

I worked at a GM dealer for 4 years and had to change out countless batteries under warranty. Easy work 4 the money so I cant complain about that. However, they leak acid like crazy. Sometimes they get corroded enough to prevent the flow of power and when u look at them u cant see they are leaking until u actually unhook the cable from the battery. The volkswagens and audis are worse though, even with the top post, since their design is sometimes slightly different and have to spend more $ for their style battery. The latest and greatest on some of the high dollar cars is a battery monitor that needs to be reset after battery replacement or the alternator will be overcharging the new battery. In addition, many of the newer cars-foreign and domestic- have anti theft codes built into the radio and need to be reset after battery replacement. Try finding those codes. Sometimes u get lucky and its in the glove box and sometimes u have to pull the radio out to get a serial # and call the dealer 4 the code. Nice!

As far as I know 36 volt charging systems are comming soon to everything.
2 and 4 wheel power steering and the a/c will be electric driven.
If the R&D or limted production of certain components had been cancelled I would have heard about it.

I think there are adapters available to adapt a non GM top post battery to a side post style and visa versa.

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, GM battery terminals.

Why did they ever do that stupidness???? why, why, why?
3 Possible Reasons

1. Allows slightly lower hood line without worrying about shorting out the battery by closing the hood.

2. Provides a ready-made market for Delco batteries.

3. Strenghten the link of GM product owners to the dealers. (SIC)

3 Possible Reasons

1. Allows slightly lower hood line without worrying about shorting out the battery by closing the hood.

2. Provides a ready-made market for Delco batteries.

3. Strenghten the link of GM product owners to the dealers. (SIC)

And to piss of people with Fords or Chryslers and boats who have a spare battery laying around, but cant use it.

-
Back