My rb20de-t 64 barracuda

-

Knuckshaft

Everything needs boost!
Reaction score
While I may get some hate for this, I decided to build this car as cost effectively as possible. It was a free car that may have ended up at the crusher. It's a 64 barracuda that was missing pretty much everything. No drivetrain, grille, headlights, broken tail lights, suspension parts missing, interior is pretty much all gone. It was a parts car for a friends brothers barracuda project. It was originally a v8 4spd car. My goals for the car is to have fun, cost effectively. I have a few different drive trains laying around, but none are Mopar. I did a engine swap for a friend a while back, and got to keep his stock drivetrain. It's a 1989 Nissan skyline gts 2.0l inline 6 engine dubbed the rb20de. When I first bought my r32 skyline, it had the turbo version called the rb20det. I swapped it out for a ls6/t56 combo, but loved the sound of the rb family of engines. So I planned on building another car with one. This barracuda popped up, and I figured it would be a good platform to have fun with, while still getting 25mpg and make 275-300 whp.

Last weekend I mounted the engine and trans, and did some frame rust repair. Hopefully it should be running this weekend, then drivable within a month, and daily drivable shortly there after once I find all the parts I need to complete the body off minus fixing all the rust for now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 477
I've also thought about this swap before but with an RB26 or RB30. However, I didn't want to venture to see what it would take to throw it in. Good luck sir, I'll be paying close attention.

Yea the rb30 with a 25 or26 head would be awesome. As for swapping it into the car, it's pretty basic. I did have to open up the trans tunnel to allow things to fit. I did notch the front crossmember an inch, boxed it in to clear the front sump oil pan. But it all fits well. The wiring is super simple and will be tackled this weekend. I'm going to run a stock side mount inter cooler for now.

I am VERY intersted to see how it turns out and how it runs and drives for you! Please post some more pictures as you get it closer and then when it is finished! Look forward to them.

As for this: "While I may get some hate for this, I decided to build this car as cost effectively as possible." who cares! It's your car and you saved it! Good luck!

I can't wait to see this, I love those japanese 6's. They have such a cool sound.

Very cool idea. I love the idea of all Mopar too but this will be cool. Gotta love a straight six. Subscribing, can't wait for more pics and vids

Those SRT-4s rock those Calibers, 64 couldnt weigh all that more. Modern turbo efi in an old chassis, best of both worlds! Pics! My 6 is a Dodge block, Ford ignition and TB, Toyota turbo and MS efi. It also had a AMC Jeep radiator at one time....:)

Those SRT-4s rock those Calibers, 64 couldnt weigh all that more. Modern turbo efi in an old chassis, best of both worlds! Pics! My 6 is a Dodge block, Ford ignition and TB, Toyota turbo and MS efi. It also had a AMC Jeep radiator at one time....:)

The cuda is actually lighter.

The Caliber weighs +/- 3184lbs
1964 Cuda weighs +/1 2930

Yea the caliber and neon were pretty heavy with all the wires and crash protection. Still my srt4 neon would move, it had no problems getting to 140mph on a test hit on a open freeway. I know stupied but at least I dI'd it when traffic was lighter and aways in front on me and moving

I'm assuming you've seen the Fram 2JZ swapped car? (Who am I kidding, I'm in a turbo thread) Anyways I'm excited to see this thing run.

Wow folks seem to be more receptive on the idea than I thought! I should be posting and update this weekend! Hopefully a video of it running.

Best of luck. When I don't do American muscle, Datsun/Nissan is my car of choice. Sounds,like fun.

[ame]http://youtu.be/Kzo7lDPS8FY[/ame]

This was pretty much the same engine from my skyline going into the Cuda. 3.5 inch exhaust, inter cooler kit, and pod filter. Cuda should sound the same.

Most of the engine harness is wired in now. I was going to start on the fuel system, turns out the tank is missing (I never checked it before) but the filler neck is there. So now I need to figure out if I replace it with a stock unit, or fab in a more modern tank. I have a couple different fuel tanks laying around. Once it has fuel it will be ready to run.

Yea the rb30 with a 25 or26 head would be awesome. As for swapping it into the car, it's pretty basic. I did have to open up the trans tunnel to allow things to fit. I did notch the front crossmember an inch, boxed it in to clear the front sump oil pan. But it all fits well. The wiring is super simple and will be tackled this weekend. I'm going to run a stock side mount inter cooler for now.

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your modifications, would you?

Unfortunately I do not. Didn't have to take very much of the front crossmember, but had to cut a bit out of the trans tunnel to fit the auto trans.

Not trying to be a smart *** here, but stay in the theme. Use what you got. Your fab skills have to be pretty damn good to get you this far.

Nice. Seems so strange,seeing a Nissan valve cover,& hearing that sound from a 60's Mopar .

stock tank and get a return bunged sender. Mercedes external pump on frame, rock it! Whats up with that old "Mod-Top" intake?

Well as of right now I think i found a car that may have most of the parts I need. It's sitting behind a shop that has a few Miatas (with a bunch of numbers and stickers, thinking autocross maybe)and some old alfas.

As of right now the radiator and hoses are all installed, I robbed them of a 95 Infiniti j30 that I picked up as a bolt and misc electrical connectors parts car. The fuel tank may find a home in the Cuda. Just need to take measurements and see if it's worth the work.

The intake pipe was just there to dump a little fuel down its throat. And also a little wiring test. It only has one sensor that times the spark and injector pulse signals to the ecu for proper firing. So I know if I had spark, then I also have injector pulse. Which means I need 42.5 psi of fuel pressure and I'm golden.

-
Back