My single turbo Wayfarer Ute build

-
Looking good! Been watching with interest, doing a single turbo on my 400 horse dart this winter, collecting parts as we speak. Turbos are so cooool.

things have been mental at work, so progress has slowed up a bit. fuel system done now as is all wiring. bled the brakes tonight and put all the fluids in the engine and trans ready for start up:blob:.
my lap top runs windows 8.1 and have had a few hassles getting the msd pro data software to work. followed all the steps on msd web site but now when 6530 plugged in won't recognise the device. hopefully will get it sorted by the weekend.

well, after spending the last week or so trying to get the ute to fire, going over and over the wiring and what not, it turns out my 6530 is faulty out of the box.:banghead:
this morning I called msd and after explaining what my issue was they said it sounded like it was a faulty unit and they are going to replace it.
so hopefully when it arrives and I plug it in, it should fire right up:burnout:

At least you found the problem.

I new it would be something simple, but wasn't expecting the 6530 itself to be the problem.
while i'm waiting i'll tidy up a few small unfinished jobs and put the super stock springs in the rear. not sure weather to use my caltracs with them. they recommend a snubber.

I new it would be something simple, but wasn't expecting the 6530 itself to be the problem.
while i'm waiting i'll tidy up a few small unfinished jobs and put the super stock springs in the rear. not sure weather to use my caltracs with them. they recommend a snubber.

Dude i can totally relate, bought all new MSD gear, 6530 and MSD coil, ran fine on dyno and around town, drove it to the track 2.5 hours away and the MSD coil takes a dump, leaving me and the side of the road in the middle of no where. Emailed MSD and they said no worries you pay shipping to the USA so we can test it, if its faulty they replace if not I have to pay for them to testing it..... I went and bought a Bosch coil it was cheaper and less hassle. Only good thing is it didnt leave you stranded anywhere, just the stress in fault finding it.

Otherwise its looking good mate, looking forward to hearing how it goes when she's up and running.

Dude i can totally relate, bought all new MSD gear, 6530 and MSD coil, ran fine on dyno and around town, drove it to the track 2.5 hours away and the MSD coil takes a dump, leaving me and the side of the road in the middle of no where. Emailed MSD and they said no worries you pay shipping to the USA so we can test it, if its faulty they replace if not I have to pay for them to testing it..... I went and bought a Bosch coil it was cheaper and less hassle. Only good thing is it didnt leave you stranded anywhere, just the stress in fault finding it.

Otherwise its looking good mate, looking forward to hearing how it goes when she's up and running.
got an email from msd today, new 6530 on it's way.
had the same deal with a davies craig electric water pump controller last year. called them and was told to send it back and we'll have a look at it, it will only take a few days they said. 3 weeks later I got a new one sent back. what a hassle. and guess what, it **** itself again when I powered up the ute. I smashed it with a hammer and emailed the photo to them. still waiting for a reply. pulled their ever leaking pump out and replaced it with a moroso unit.
we pay good money for our parts and the least we expect is good customer service when things go tits up. unfortunately that aint always the case.

soooo close......

Attachments

• P1010618.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 443
  • P1010619.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 417
my replacement 6530 turned up today after a eight day looooong wait:blob:
will see how that goes on the weekend.
got hold of a pair of SS rear springs and they too turned up today. won't be putting them in just.
while I was waiting for the 6530 I got started on the hood scoop.

Attachments

• P1010644.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 413
it's alive, it's alive LOL.....got out to the shed this morning, plugged in the lap top to the msd, turned the key and she fired right up. man what a feeling. sounds awesome.
no leaks except a small air leak under the carb. nipped up the bolts and that was fixed. drove her out of the shed onto the lawn. first time in six months I didn't have to push her.

it's alive, it's alive LOL.....got out to the shed this morning, plugged in the lap top to the msd, turned the key and she fired right up. man what a feeling. sounds awesome.
no leaks except a small air leak under the carb. nipped up the bolts and that was fixed. drove her out of the shed onto the lawn. first time in six months I didn't have to push her.

Great Stuff , I think there are still spaces for Port Rd,

Put Up A Vid of it running
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

well it's bin a while since my last post. had a few teething issues.
firstly the turbo started puking oil into the hot side. drain too small so changed it to -12 and put it into the oil pan.
secondly converter slipping with the 2.75 gears. put 3.5 gears in the back and much much better. converter is 9.5" ptc 3800 stall. it was specked for 3.5's but thought I may get away with 2.75 for the street.
going on the dyno in next few days, hopefully before Christmas.
done a few hundred miles open road now and when I give the go peddle a stab it sits down in the rear and......man I love boost.

Attachments

• P1010656.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 387
  • P1010660.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 373
Nice it is always a good feeling that first start up. Let us know what the car puts down, sweet ride and build.

well it's bin a while since my last post. had a few teething issues.
firstly the turbo started puking oil into the hot side. drain too small so changed it to -12 and put it into the oil pan.
secondly converter slipping with the 2.75 gears. put 3.5 gears in the back and much much better. converter is 9.5" ptc 3800 stall. it was specked for 3.5's but thought I may get away with 2.75 for the street.
going on the dyno in next few days, hopefully before Christmas.
done a few hundred miles open road now and when I give the go peddle a stab it sits down in the rear and......man I love boost.

That's one damn beautiful truck , wish something like that was offered in the states for Mopar. Drive the hell out of it, mate.

Ive blown a few engines, (nothing on the price scale of your set up though) and by the second or third engine the shine goes right off the whole experience.
are your eddies complete, or are you going to have them gone through/given the treatment?

busted....yes this is true. detonation sucks.
ATM the block fill is hardening, eddy heads on the way. the rebuild begins.
we live and we learn.

'70,
Thx added Superlative Workmanship !!!!
that being said ---with all due respects---.

This MSD 6530 'thingie Your using has no provision for
a (an) Knock Sensor(s) input???

Ive blown a few engines, (nothing on the price scale of your set up though) and by the second or third engine the shine goes right off the whole experience.
are your eddies complete, or are you going to have them gone through/given the treatment?

heads will get a going over, cc'd to determine what cr and piston, most likely stage 2 porting, new springs.

have pretty much torn the ute down to her bones. putting in the ss springs as well as roll cage. also doing rack and pinion conversion.

'70,
Thx added Superlative Workmanship !!!!
that being said ---with all due respects---.

This MSD 6530 'thingie Your using has no provision for
a (an) Knock Sensor(s) input???

cheers mech1nxh.....
no the 6530 has no provision for knock, but for what I have been told "fat is where it's at" keep it rich at wot

-
Back