My spring has sprung...

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
Is there a good technique for getting the hood spring restrung? It spun off its little hook it looks like I have to take it off?

It's a mighty strong spring. The hinge travel isn't any greater at the workbench.
I don't know if they are all the same or what model you have. My hinge springs have push nut like keepers much like those that hold the hinge on the car. I can't see one good cause for the keeper to leave or spring to jump off unless the hinge is worn.

It's a mighty strong spring. The hinge travel isn't any greater at the workbench.
I don't know if they are all the same or what model you have. My hinge springs have push nut like keepers much like those that hold the hinge on the car. I can't see one good cause for the keeper to leave or spring to jump off unless the hinge is worn.
I'll go take a picture real quick. I should have started with that I'm sorry. It was early and I hadn't had my first cup of coffee!

IMG_20180319_072912.jpg

Yes I was feeling the mighty Strong Spring thing LOL that's kind of why I was asking if anybody had any good ideas? I can tell the center looks like it pops out with maybe some kind of retainer clip? As if maybe hooking it first and then twisting the center and getting it to drop in would probably be my best guess at this point?

hinge with spring keepers in place

View attachment 1715154568
If you blow mine up you'll see that in the center I have a clip that clips into the center and keeps the center in and neither one of mine have a retainer clip on the outside where it hooks? Maybe it's just a newer design or the inner clip holds the middle and thus just holding it? But again holding it in there isn't my biggest concern at this point LOL getting it in there may be the problem?

since its now unloaded you can move it and study how much wear/bias movement there is. The 2 posts should stay parallel. If the 2 posts do this l_\ ?
The keepers aint all that really. I'm just thinking if it walked off once, it'll do it again.

since its now unloaded you can move it and study how much wear/bias movement there is. The 2 posts should stay parallel. If the 2 posts do this l_\ ?
The keepers aint all that really. I'm just thinking if it walked off once, it'll do it again.
I don't think it was a situation where it walked off. I don't recall it having any problems when I bought the car 4 years ago. And it's been that long since I've had the hood on the car. LOL

There's a similar spring in window regulators and that's where my experience is. I work at the longer hook end of the spring. And yes I use vise grips all the while knowing that my tool scars could cause breakage. Good luck with it.

One from a '69. The center pin appears peened in to retain. I suspect the outboard had a push on retainer that may have corroded and slipped off at some point or just never had one at al.

upload_2018-3-19_10-6-27.png

I don't think it was a situation where it walked off. I don't recall it having any problems when I bought the car 4 years ago. And it's been that long since I've had the hood on the car. LOL

The Wife's 72 Dart had one come off the hook because it spun the center post and I had to tack that post back in place with the mig.
I also tacked a 3/4 washer on the end of the hook post once it was all back together, instead of using push nuts.

Vice grips on the center of the spring coil with a big screwdriver through the jaws worked ok.
My vise sucks so I had to do it on the car.

One from a '69. The center pin appears peened in to retain. I suspect the outboard had a push on retainer that may have corroded and slipped off at some point or just never had one at al.

View attachment 1715154588
Mine kind of looks as if it has a black retainer clip they're in the center kind of behind and underneath the center of the spring? I may go at that here soon. I'll definitely give it a college Try by the end of the day I'm sure. Right now I'm trying to find motivation! LOL if someone finds that elusive bastard catch em and send em my way!

I'd buy a replacement before I have tools flying around the shop trying to fix this.

Alan

Turns out what's needed is leverage LOL..
IMG_20180319_152553.jpg

There's a similar spring in window regulators and that's where my experience is. I work at the longer hook end of the spring. And yes I use vise grips all the while knowing that my tool scars could cause breakage. Good luck with it.
I'd buy a replacement before I have tools flying around the shop trying to fix this.

Alan

Curious.... Were you able to pull the hook inside of the pin or did you have to go over the top of the pin?

Curious.... Were you able to pull the hook inside of the pin or did you have to go over the top of the pin?
First I did file and chisel to get the Spring out. First I tried vice grips with a screwdriver between it for leverage and tried twisting from the center with a 1/2 inch long socket over the peg. No go.
Here's what worked for me- I set the spring in the center sticking out of the center about an eighth of an inch. I then tilted the spring so the hooked part of the spring was up so when pulled (with my right hand) it's aimed to go over the top of the peg. All of the while with a heavy glove on my left hand holding it down into place. And once it gets over and your hand is on it I pushed it down just a little bit to catch it and then quickly take your right hand and tap down with a hammer and seat it into place. and BAZINGA!

-
Back