My squrrily idea, just do sway bars?

-

SCOTT EVIL

Reaction score
So my /6 1968 Dart has the fac HD suspension option. I really like the very soft ride. But the turns sure do lean even with that small fac front sway bar.
Is is possible to just add the large helwig sway bar and still keep my soft ride?
Or am I doomed to also stiffen up the rest of the suspension?

put a large dia bar on the front and see what happens. am running .890 torsions and 27mm dia bar and handles well, like the softer spring with the bigger bar better than the .920tbs i used to run.

If you have a sway bar, the 340 bar is the smallest there is, but I suspect that you don't have one as very few slant cars had them.

I ran stock 340 t-bars in my Barracuda with a 1 1/8" front and 3/4" rear sway bar for almost 20 years. Worked great! It cornered very flat.

Hopefully the 1" bars I'm putting in soon won't be too stiff with the big front sway bar.

Lee, you'll like it, especially since, if those are the original torsion bars they have a LOT of miles on them. Somewhere around 130,000 in 1985 and who knows (besides you) how many since then......

Lee, you'll like it, especially since, if those are the original torsion bars they have a LOT of miles on them. Somewhere around 130,000 in 1985 and who knows (besides you) how many since then......

Jim, nope those bars you speak of went in the scrap bin in 1990 when I rebuilt the front end the first time. At that time, I put in a set of NOS 340 bars that I bought from Brewer's.

big bars and softly sprung = great on the street

you'll love the ride

Thanks for your experienced opinions. It helps alot.
It is a strange 1968 Dart. I is a base grade 4 door slant with a trailer tow package of HD suspension, HD cooling, and HD 10 inch brakes with a 7 1/4 and a 3.23 rear. And it has a option of HD front seat springs and upgrade to foam seat cushions too. But no radio and no power steering. Strange car, but goes faster with the 3.23 rear. And the car does have a front sway bar too. All stock.
Thank you

I added just a sway bar and gas shocks to the 73 4-door. I also swapped out the LCA for ones with factory sway bar tabs. Some of the aftermarket kits have weld-on tabs that allow a factory bar to be used. Others have a tab that uses the lower shock bolt. IMO the bolt-on tab is not strong enough to do the job with consistency.

At the time I added the bar, I also cranked up the front caster to +2º. Results: Flatter cornering; sharper initial turn-in on corners; supple, well-controlled ride. If your bushings are in good shape, you should have similar results.

Good luck with your improvements.

Thanks for your experienced opinions. It helps alot.
It is a strange 1968 Dart. I is a base grade 4 door slant with a trailer tow package of HD suspension, HD cooling, and HD 10 inch brakes with a 7 1/4 and a 3.23 rear. And it has a option of HD front seat springs and upgrade to foam seat cushions too. But no radio and no power steering. Strange car, but goes faster with the 3.23 rear. And the car does have a front sway bar too. All stock.
Thank you

Sounds real similar to the 70 Valiant four door I found in a yard back in the 90s. It had K-H discs, handling package, 8-3/4 rear along with a slant and a three-speed stick. As I recall there were indications that it was a fleet car of some sort.

Oddball cars are NEAT. Just saw a car for sale back east on another forum. 1970 Satellite four door, factory slanty with a three on the tree and under 50,000 original miles. The car looked great, but I don't have an extra $4k lying around. My wife would have gone for it, too......

-
Back