My Western Sport Special

-
Finally getting back to my project. Ordered some electric cutouts cause " Ebag " had a discount going along with the vendor had them on sale, just couldn't pass up a discount. Now to find a muffler shop. Hopefully the place Karl (krazykuda) recommends will work with me as I'm wanting exhaust out the back plus the cutouts coming out in front of rear tire. Hopefully they can fit something over the axles and exiting out under rear bumper. Seems like with mini tubs it can be challenging.
During the title waiting period couple of years ago and parts collecting time I found a FABO member getting rid of his 2.5" pipes and mufflers for dunno his reasons but they were already coated and with an H crossmember for a 67-69 Dart and in my price range. Don't know what kinda mufflers they are but hopefully not overly loud or droners. Any ideas what they may be?

IMG_1922.JPG

IMG_1923.JPG

IMG_1464.JPG

IMG_1939.JPG

IMG_1940.JPG

Last edited:
Now onto the seats. Got new covers and had them modified using the Mod Top material for inserts. Decided to buy new foam for the backs of the buckets as they were really done for after 50 years. Didn't do the bottoms as it looked like they had been done previously. Talk about a challenging job. Probably the biggest problem was that the bucket seat covers were for a 69 Dart but the buckets were for a barracuda; so I did some modifications.

IMG_1926.JPG

IMG_1931.JPG

IMG_1930.JPG

IMG_1929.JPG

Got some volunteering tightening down the buckets when I told her it would be hers someday.

20190511_151238.jpg

Last edited:
Hang 10 came outta mothballs beginning of April. Started right up and took it out for a long cruise, still turns a lot of heads. Will for sure make a decision soon whether or not to let it go or not. Wish the Hang 10 woulda come with a 4-speed woulda been even more fun. Got that roto set up yet?

Have not hung the 73 sport body on it yet. Trying to get the 76 spirit car back together first so I can do a little racing this summer.

Beautiful work man, love it, my top will be install next week can't wait
20190518_152554.jpg

20190128_125230.jpg

Bought the car in January , not a big project, just put all things together make it road worthy for the summer hopefully, will post pictures when top is on maybe in 2 weeks.

Hang 10 came outta mothballs beginning of April. Started right up and took it out for a long cruise, still turns a lot of heads. Will for sure make a decision soon whether or not to let it go or not. Wish the Hang 10 woulda come with a 4-speed woulda been even more fun. Got that roto set up yet?
That is odd, every hang 10 I have ever seen in person, had a 4 speed.

There was a hang 10 duster with a six cylinder 4-speed in the local junkyard here for years.

There was a hang 10 duster with a six cylinder 4-speed in the local junkyard here for years.

"I thought the Hang Ten it was an automatic only option"

Not trying to call anyone a fibber or liar but no such thing from the factory plus never from Plymouth. I do believe there was an A63 option from Plymouth which was a funky interior option plus a gunmetal color paint. Very pretty, the one I saw but not a Hang 10.
Randall is correct the Hang 10 came standard with automatic and only in white plus orange carpet , orange dash trim plus swimsuit material seats and rally wheels. It was available with a 6, 318 or the 360, also optional was manual sunroof, air conditioning, the half vinyl top, sport mirrors and sport steering wheel. At one time I was in the Hang 10 Registry which is now defunct but we had IIRC 16 members. Here's a link to mine Shutterfly

Last edited:
Couldn't get the fiberglass hood to stay up with lightweight springs so I ordered some gas shocks from Guden.com The price was right and thanks to "retroron" here on FABO. Took a bit of "hacking" to get them installed but works great and solved that problem.

IMG_2033.JPG

IMG_2036.JPG

"I thought the Hang Ten it was an automatic only option"

Not trying to call anyone a fibber or liar but no such thing from the factory plus never from Plymouth. I do believe there was an A63 option from Plymouth which was a funky interior option plus a gunmetal color paint. Very pretty, the one I saw but not a Hang 10.
Randall is correct the Hang 10 came standard with automatic and only in white plus orange carpet , orange dash trim plus swimsuit material seats and rally wheels. It was available with a 6, 318 or the 360, also optional was manual sunroof, air conditioning, the half vinyl top, sport mirrors and sport steering wheel. At one time I was in the Hang 10 Registry which is now defunct but we had I
IIRC 16 members. Here's a link to mine Shutterfly

Appreciate the comment, maybe the car was actually a spirit of 76, I have not seen the car in over 30 years, but it did have the funky bucket seats, and interior. This car was wrecked hard in the rear, most likely when new. The old guy that owned the junkyard, passed away, not sure if all the cars are still there. But the junkyard is closed, so no way to confirm.

Appreciate the comment, maybe the car was actually a spirit of 76, I have not seen the car in over 30 years, but it did have the funky bucket seats, and interior. This car was wrecked hard in the rear, most likely when new. The old guy that owned the junkyard, passed away, not sure if all the cars are still there. But the junkyard is closed, so no way to confirm.

My 76 Spirit in not a Dart Lite but a lot of them were.
There was a guy on here I believe maybe on ebay that had or said he had a Spirit of 76 Duster. He scraped it and sold parts of it. Would not post a picture of it. He was from PA I think. I tried to buy it from him but no go.
Every Spirit I have checked out has a Y39 special order code on the fender tag.

My 76 Spirit in not a Dart Lite but a lot of them were.
There was a guy on here I believe maybe on ebay that had or said he had a Spirit of 76 Duster. He scraped it and sold parts of it. Would not post a picture of it. He was from PA I think. I tried to buy it from him but no go.
Every Spirit I have checked out has a Y39 special order code on the fender tag.
This car was or still is in central WV, it had the bucket seats, complete 4-speed, and the red and blue stripes on a white base, it was hit hard in the rear. I bought the carb off it years ago for a old truck I had. Nothing really had been taken off the car, this would have been around 1990 when I acquired the carb. I think the old guy sold me the carb for $5 so I know the rest of the parts could be bought cheap, I thought about grabbing the 4-speed set up at the time, but did not need it.

This car was or still is in central WV, it had the bucket seats, complete 4-speed, and the red and blue stripes on a white base, it was hit hard in the rear. I bought the carb off it years ago for a old truck I had. Nothing really had been taken off the car, this would have been around 1990 when I acquired the carb. I think the old guy sold me the carb for $5 so I know the rest of the parts could be bought cheap, I thought about grabbing the 4-speed set up at the time, but did not need it.

Any chance of pictures. That is the 2nd one I have heard of. Would like to know if it has a Y39 code. Would like to buy it even wreaked if cheap enough.

Any chance of pictures. That is the 2nd one I have heard of. Would like to know if it has a Y39 code. Would like to buy it even wreaked if cheap enough.
No 35mm film was high priced back them.
The only chance would be if I could actually learn to fly the drone my wife bought me, and take some air photos. The junkyard is closed when the guy passed away, and he had a 8 foot tall chain link fence around his property, so no way to sneak in.
I would not go in anyways for respect for peoples property.

-
Back