1968 Dodge Dart Western Sport Special Restoration

-
I would have run a bead of weld across the fresh notch to tie the inner and outer pieces together. Probably wouldn't make much difference, but I would have.

Love the Dart build! .....and that Savoy is just badass!

I would have run a bead of weld across the fresh notch to tie the inner and outer pieces together. Probably wouldn't make much difference, but I would have.
I agree. For the meantime I just painted over it to seal the bare metal but I am planning on doing just that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hey Car Nut! What’s with the disagree? What is there to disagree about from a statement to another member? And of course you block people out from responding back to you!

Back to working on the Dart again, it’s back down to 95 degrees here in Havasu rather then 125 degrees. Got a new AMD inner fender panel to replace that wrinkled up one, I’m glad I did while I’m at this stag of body work. It will look a lot better for the 200.00 investment for the panel. I used a spot weld removal drill bit from Harbor Freight actually worked well. Then grinded them down flush with the joining panels.

IMG_4207.jpeg

IMG_4206.jpeg

IMG_4248.jpeg

IMG_4249.jpeg

Back in January I sent the doors and the trunk lid to be stripped and sealed so I’m putting them back on the car. The trunk lid first. I’ll hang the doors tomorrow.

IMG_4247.jpeg

IMG_4250.jpeg

IMG_4251.jpeg

IMG_4252.jpeg

IMG_4246.jpeg

Had my hinges rebuilt and kept original hardware. They came out really nice. He is a member on here. Today I mounted them back on the door and then mounted door to car. I had the doors stripped down to metal then sealed.

IMG_4257.jpeg

IMG_4260.jpeg

IMG_4262.jpeg

IMG_4263.jpeg

IMG_4259.jpeg

IMG_4264.jpeg

IMG_4265.jpeg

IMG_4266.jpeg

IMG_4267.jpeg

I’m going to order new fender hardware from 521 restorations and then mount the front fenders, then I’m going to strip down the rear fenders to metal because I don’t know what it’s like underneath the black paint but it’s looks bad. I’ll see when I strip it down.

IMG_4277.jpeg

IMG_4278.jpeg

IMG_4279.jpeg

IMG_4280.jpeg

IMG_4281.jpeg

I would weigh the regulators, windows, and rubber, door handles, interior panels etc, and add weight to the door to simulate the completed weight.
This will sag the doors slightly, and throw the alignment of the rest of the panels off.

Ok yesterday I got my front fender hardware from 521. So today I mounted the front fenders, I’m not aligning everything perfectly because it still needs to have body work done. Just getting it all hung on the car so when I find someone to do it they have all the pieces and hardware attached.

IMG_4311.jpeg

IMG_4310.jpeg

IMG_4308.jpeg

IMG_4307.jpeg

IMG_4309.jpeg

IMG_4314.jpeg

IMG_4313.jpeg

IMG_4312.jpeg

From what I see, you are plenty capable of doing the body work. spend the money on quality tools. never look back.

From what I see, you are plenty capable of doing the body work. spend the money on quality tools. never look back.
Thank you for that. I never tackled bodywork because I didn’t think I had the knowledge or the patience to do it. I the rate I’ve been going with this and 3 different body shops maybe I will try to get it done. I’ve always been a more mechanical kind of guy.

Its never too late to learn, that car does not need much body work.

POR 15 is "paint over rust" which it work excellent if you follow the instructions.
On thing that I found out is it does not stick worth a crap to clean shiny steel, it will literally peel off in sheets.

I did my Willys frame in around 2007, wire brushed the heavy scale off, used their other products, according to the data sheet, and today it still looks as fresh as it was when it was applied.

POR 15 is "paint over rust" which it work excellent if you follow the instructions.
On thing that I found out is it does not stick worth a crap to clean shiny steel, it will literally peel off in sheets.

I did my Willys frame in around 2007, wire brushed the heavy scale off, used their other products, according to the data sheet, and today it still looks as fresh as it was when it was applied.
Yeah I heard that too. The same guy put the por 15 on my floors with rust and the rust bleed through it and bubbled. Maybe because it was still un painted to seal it I didn’t know. I might have to patch panel the front drivers and passenger side. Thanks for the advice for sure.

Today I installed the grill and headlight bezels to make sure the fenders in the front were spaced out correctly because then the grill mounts will line up correctly. Then I put my LO23 Super Stock Hemi hood on to make sure it all lined up correctly. For now I’m happy with the fit. Next will be making adjustable mounting brackets for my Caltrac Sliders. I’ll post that next time!

IMG_4315.jpeg

IMG_4316.jpeg

IMG_4317.jpeg

IMG_4318.jpeg

IMG_4321.jpeg

IMG_4322.jpeg

IMG_4326.jpeg

Looking alot better.
What is going on with the passenger 1/4 panel?

I’m going to run Caltrac split mono leaf springs on my Dart. I purchased Caltrac sliders and instead of welding them to the frame rails or bolting them on I decided to make mounting plates out of 1/2 aluminum. It will give me 4 1/2 inches of forward and back adjustment in increments of 1 1/2 inch. Got one drilled and tapped. The holes in the Sliders had a snug fit of a 12mm so I got 12x1.75 bolts to mount the sliders to the plates. Once I drill out the other side in the other half of the aluminum plate I will then cut it in half making a left and right. Once that is done I will post how I will attach them to the frame rails. Hope you guys like the idea.
Thanks

IMG_4398.jpeg

IMG_4394.jpeg

IMG_4389.jpeg

IMG_4390.jpeg

IMG_4391.jpeg

IMG_4393.jpeg

IMG_4395.jpeg

IMG_4396.jpeg

IMG_4397.jpeg

Looks good. I'm curious how you're going to mount them to the frame rail. Nice work!
Tomorrow I will go under the car with the plates and take pictures to give you the idea on how I think I will mount them, I want to make plates to sandwich between the frame rails with through bolts but I also want to have it with a set of holes so I can also raise and lower the plates for up and down adjustment. Thanks for liking

-
Back